FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: This forum is dead, so....  (Read 1599 times)

15inch

This forum is dead, so....
« on: Mar 30, 2006, 05:02 PM »
...it needs some life breathed into it. Maybe I should use LIGHTNING, like Dr. Frankenstein.

Anyway, I fished Spruce Run on Wed Mar 29th. I fish for Crappie and Largemouth and Hybrids there. I can conclude that "I suck there in the early season". I have done extraordinary there in May/June in years past. But lately I just can't do anything there in the early season (Mar-Apr). On Wed 29th, I saw a guy with 3 Pike and a Crappie. One other had 1 Largemouth, small, and another had 1 Pike.
I have heard stories of how horrible fishing is there through the ice. Yet I know d**n well that there is a plethora of fish there. They do not magically appear on some days and do a Houdini on other days, but it sure seems like it. THEY ARE IN THERE 24-7-365! That nut is very hard to crack!
My ideas so far are:
1) The fish there are very "time-slot" active. They are either ON or OFF. You can drag a squirming nightcrawler across their face sometimes and they will not move a muscle. (Fish do sleep)
2) There is a plethora of bait, mostly immature herring, in there. That is a fact. No wonder they don't want to eat a Rapala or anything else that is hard and chewy and full of hooks.
3) Assuming no 1 is true, maybe there is not the huge number of gamefish in there that I claimed. When they are "turned-on", it just seems like it.

Nothing like a forum for the wide array of responses that will now follow...

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
Re: This forum is dead, so....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2006, 05:38 PM »
if you look at last year the forum was almost all but dead.

I never really fished Spruce Run much but have heard the fishing can be quite good. Its just like any other place though. Fishing can be hot for 1 day or even a few hours and then completely dead others.

As for this place through the ice. I've yet to hear from anyone who regularly catches fish outta there ice fishin.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

bayonne

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2006, 10:23 PM »
this forum should come to lfe with the trout opener next week

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2006, 07:05 PM »
I've been fishing the run for 35 years ,and she can be very tempermental at times, but I do have a pretty good grip on whats going on there and when to stay home and when to fish . I will tell you this , the lake has a excellent spring bite . Just slow down your presentation untill the water temp hits about 50 or so .

15inch

« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2006, 09:27 PM »
I just got back from there. Fished 3:30 - 7:30. In my typical fashion I sucked at it but after sunset I landed a Crappie just shy of 15inch. Where did I hear that phrase before? ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.