FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quick trip between storms  (Read 845 times)

stripernut

Quick trip between storms
« on: Jul 26, 2022, 06:18 PM »
Did not have much time and the weather was iffy but I run over to the Conn river for some nighttime top water Sunday night. Had a lot of fun with lots of fish, nothing to brag about, and sat under a metal bridge while one of the lighting storms passes... Would have been interesting if it had been hit, I have never been in a real faraday cage and that is the closest I am likely to get... I would have stayed longer but I don't think I have ever sweat so much in such a short time...

lowaccord66

Re: Quick trip between storms
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2022, 06:50 PM »
Nice job getting out Allan.  I've had a few nights under the Bourne and Sagamore for the same reasons.  Monday in the boat, just as the fog started to break there were storms headed my way...made it back to the marina just in time.  Last year I got caught in one so I went up the Niantic river and hid in the cuddy. 

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2022, 06:55 PM »
Did you guys at least get some decent rain out of it? I've been hearing it's hot and dry out there.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Ryan51993

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2022, 04:16 AM »
Not enough rain to make any difference sadly. A river near me averages 40 CFS this time of year and as of this morning its running at 15 CFS, about the lowest I've ever seen it. They keep showing rain in the forecast but either it doesn't happen or it only happens for about an hour. And now next week is looking like another hot one.

scooper47

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2022, 06:15 AM »
For future reference: bridges provide no protection from lightning. I used to think they do; decades ago I got caught in a horrendous storm on the CT, and we put in under one of the bridges and got out and ran up the bank. Scary as hell. Many times since then I've read that won't protect you.

stripernut

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2022, 06:57 AM »
If the bridge is medal framed (truss construction) it acts just like your car or a metal building, safer than many other places you can be. Most bridges only have some steel or concrete joists, that would offer little to no protection.

What Happens When Lightning Strikes a Steel Building?
July 23, 2019 by Steve Polston;
If lightning harms steel structures, then driving through a thunderstorm in a car would be a very unpopular idea. The truth is, the frames of pre-engineered steel buildings act as a “shield” that transfers most of the energy of a lightning strike down to the ground, leaving the objects and people inside them virtually unaffected. This phenomenon is known as Faraday shielding. The building itself becomes a Faraday cage that equally distributes the charges throughout its surface and keeps you well protected.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2022, 09:38 AM »
Even it the bridge wasn't the optimum protecting I would still feel safer than standing out in the open!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2022, 09:41 AM »
Not enough rain to make any difference sadly. A river near me averages 40 CFS this time of year and as of this morning its running at 15 CFS, about the lowest I've ever seen it. They keep showing rain in the forecast but either it doesn't happen or it only happens for about an hour. And now next week is looking like another hot one.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get some relief.  Conversely here in northern Indian we have been hot and temporarily dry but alway seem to get some relief with lots of rain. Now we are relatively cool for about a week with below normal temps.  Hopefully that will head your way at some point.

Parts of the west I understand are in really dire straits. Worst drought in 1200 years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.