FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayak PB Striper  (Read 921 times)

westernmas

Kayak PB Striper
« on: Aug 02, 2022, 10:27 AM »
I had not used my pedal drive kayak in a long while, partly due to the steering being messed up.  I finally found a good youtube video on how to re-rig it using spectra line and the upgrade was installed by last Thursday.  My fishing buddies either had covid or were tied up with other stuff but I was hell bent on testing the steering so down to CT I went for a night solo mission.  I shot over to granby bait to get some eels, somehow got gas for $3.93!!!!!!! and was on the road to the CT shore by about 730.  When I arrived at the launch there was a couple of kayakers loading up to leave and not another sole in sight.  I fished some larger rock piles at first with no luck and then back tracked to where I've had luck in the past.  I lost a couple of fish right off the bat as I'm still getting used to circle hooks (dumbest regulation if you ask me).  I finally got the hook set right on one and it immediately started peeling drag and heading right for the rocks.  I tightened down the drag and back pedaled to pull the fish out of the rocks so of course it took a hard right directly toward a lobster bouy.  I maneuvered around that, got the fish to deeper water and landed what I would have to say is my biggest striper yet.  It is prob in the caliber of the fish Jon had landed, somewhere in the 50" range and I'd say about 40lbs.  Being alone at night didn't result in good pics but you can see the profile is massive.  I have a ruler on the side of my yak that goes up to 30" but that measured about half of the fish.  I landed 3 other low teen fish, ran out of eels and called it a night by like 1230.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

Re: Kayak PB Striper
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2022, 02:58 PM »
Congrats!!!

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2022, 08:18 AM »
Thanks Alan.  Things are a little more interesting in the kayak at night.  I may head back this weekend if the weather holds up.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2022, 11:06 AM »
Big bass for sure and id guess near 50" too.  I dont measiure this time of uear either.  It kills bass.  Quick pick and release.

Way to go Pat!

icefisher47

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2022, 02:33 PM »
Congratulations, Nice fish
Take a kid fishing

stripernut

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2022, 03:00 PM »
Thanks Alan.  Things are a little more interesting in the kayak at night.  I may head back this weekend if the weather holds up.

I hear you, I can't count how many hours I have spent out on the salt in a canoe at night, a different world...

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2022, 04:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Not sure I'd have the *alls to fish in a kayak in saltwater but I had a blast night fishing for largemouth and smallmouth in small lake in Maine a few years ago. They really nailed that jitterbug and I left at least one jitterbug in a tree.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2022, 11:35 AM »
Nice work and congrats on the PB.
Wicked Wec

KingPerch

« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2022, 04:01 PM »
Good work and congrats!!🎣
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span