FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sharks off of Rockport MA  (Read 865 times)

stripernut

Sharks off of Rockport MA
« on: Aug 15, 2022, 01:21 PM »
My Father, Will, and I  went out of Rockport to see if we could find some sharks... In the past when I did this type of fishing I would buy a block of frozen chum, so I called around Cape Ann to make sure I could get some Sunday morning and it turned out no one was selling any, I was told I should get some of the "bagged" Freeze Dried chum and that it works great (more on that later). We knew that when we got there at the ramp it might be tough to unload the boat and it was (full moon low tide), but with the pick-up in 4WD low, we got it done. Off we went in some beautiful weather and a very calm sea to Tillies. I followed the direction on the chum bag and mixed up the whole bag of freeze-dried blood and menhaden "milk" and made them into a bunch of "Blood Balls" I had read that they would harden up and Bleed slowly into the water... They never hardened. So, I started power drift that I planned for a little more than a mile, and 6 big "blood Balls" are gone in a couple of hundred yards... Well, that did not go as planned... We get to the spot I wanted to start the drift, on a big hump that should supply some bottom fish while we drifted waiting for the "Man in the Grey Suite" to show up. The jigging was fast with haddock, a few nice cod, hake, and sea perch on almost every drop. The drift was VERY slow but the current was taking away a nice stream of chum. About 45 min. on the drift, we watched a small 5'-6' Mako take a small hade that did not like the change in water pressure... We did not see him again (BUMMER). I was fishing one line deep and had the pitching rod rigged and left that bait trailing behind the boat. An hour or so later a blue shark showed up, but stayed way back of the boat and would not touch the baits that we would drop back. After doing the math and figuring it is easier to drop a boat in at a poor ramp at a minus tide we that it would be best to get going. With our time on the drift nearing an end I started shaking the chum bag and getting a real cloud going in the slick and sure enough, the blue shark that would not come close (for like 2 hours) came up to the boat. After a few passes off the stern and no luck with either line, Will tossed the pitch bait and it turned and eat it right off. The fight was on, and Will got his first shark boat side for a good release! Some lessons; Find frozen chum (yes I could make my own, but I don't do it enough and both my freezers are full). 2, When using "blood Balls" the "good-looking" slick may not be enough to get them in close...

Great trip, bent rods, a few fillets, and time spent with friends and family on a beautiful day on the water!

Here is a short vid of the Blue and Will;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDiMJDA8kLw

westernmas

Re: Sharks off of Rockport MA
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2022, 01:41 PM »
Great work Alan.  Looks like a heck of a day.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

icefisher47

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2022, 01:53 PM »
Looks like it was a great day on the water. Rockport is a nice little town.
Take a kid fishing

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2022, 05:15 PM »
Nice work guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.