FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Cochituate  (Read 13661 times)

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
Re: Lake Cochituate
« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2010, 07:42 AM »
Someone pulled out a pike out of north pond this season on NEF. Mark has your father ever pulled out an eye from there? I know they are very rare but is possible i would think with the river that feeds into it.

Never ever heard of an eye coming out but . . . you never know for sure. Pike outa North Pond huh? Thats good news, last one I heard about was a few years ago during ice fishing. I put some time in this ice season and never tied into one. I know we have gotten some brookies outa that river. As much as I love to call it the dead sead I consider it the water I grew up fishing and will not give up on it.

Boats are allowed just head over on the weekends you'll see 100s of them. I watched someone launch a 32' cabin cruiser Sea Ray last year! Ridiculous! Its located in Natick, Framingham and Wayland. Access is everywehre, Natick is the main ramp (rte 30), Wayland residents have their own ramp and beach, water skiing is allowed on South Pond. Access to South is tight, the railroad tressle requires taking great care. CAUTION TO ALL BOATERS: HEADING TOWARDS SOUTH POND UNDER THE RAILROAD, THERE IS ONE STONE ON THE LEFTHAND SIDE THAT STICKS OUT 1 INCH PAST THE REST, MANY A WINDSHIELD HAS BEEN LOST!

volume4130

« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2010, 09:57 PM »
I've fished here a few times without much luck.  Do you guys find any of the basins better for bass than the others?  Don't think I've ever seen pics or heard of big bass coming out of there, but will probably go back here at some point this year... The problem I have is no motor!! just a kayak, so its hard for me to get to the far reaches of the lakes, as I usually put in at the state park. 

Porter

« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2010, 03:33 PM »
True story.... back in 1994 I had just started working for TJX Companies and used to fish Cochituate after work many times until dusk. I used to wade the beach area right there on middle pond and focus on the weedbeds on both sides of the swimming area. One night fishing on the right side of the swimming area( but before the little cove) further down... I had a massive strike on a panther martin spinner (I know.. I threw in-line spinners back then). Fought this fish for 5 muntes delicately on 8lb stren line. Got it to the surface about 4 feet in front of me and lunged for it Ended up getting swamped but I was able to lip her. No scale or camera on me but 8-9 pounds EASILY... so I know they are in there and are very old fish.... and most likely wary and hard to catch by the recreational angler. That was my PB and of course... I was fishing alone with no witnesses!

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2010, 04:36 PM »
True story.... back in 1994 I had just started working for TJX Companies and used to fish Cochituate after work many times until dusk. I used to wade the beach area right there on middle pond and focus on the weedbeds on both sides of the swimming area. One night fishing on the right side of the swimming area( but before the little cove) further down... I had a massive strike on a panther martin spinner (I know.. I threw in-line spinners back then). Fought this fish for 5 muntes delicately on 8lb stren line. Got it to the surface about 4 feet in front of me and lunged for it Ended up getting swamped but I was able to lip her. No scale or camera on me but 8-9 pounds EASILY... so I know they are in there and are very old fish.... and most likely wary and hard to catch by the recreational angler. That was my PB and of course... I was fishing alone with no witnesses!

With all the smallies you catch who would question that. ;D ;D ;D

sull155

« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2010, 10:27 AM »
I've never got one that big outta there but i have seen them.  Around the same time, mid 90's i had a huuuuuge largemouth come up to the boat i was in, it was the biggest bass i have ever seen.  Just looked at us, turned and slowly swam away, this was on north lake.  This is a really good place, you just have to put in the time and learn where the fish are.  I hate its bad reputation.  I personally prefer North lake because it is so much quieter, especially on the weekends

salmon stalker

« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2010, 10:51 AM »
8-9 pounds EASILY

Smallmouth bass 8-9lbs EASILY???? Your state record is 8.2lbs so you caught a state record and don't even have a pic?

Hummm... ::)  ::)
The outdoors, a real man's playground!!!!!!

Porter

« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2010, 11:50 AM »
Smallmouth bass 8-9lbs EASILY???? Your state record is 8.2lbs so you caught a state record and don't even have a pic?

Hummm... ::)  ::)

I never said it was a smallmouth ???    I think most members know it was a largemouth. Only about 6-10 bodies of water in all of New England that I think may hold an 8+ lb smally anyways.  ;D 

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2010, 03:22 PM »
I like the bad reputation, leaves all the good spots for me. ;D

sull155

« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2010, 06:31 PM »
fished here 3 times in the last two weeks.  surface water temp is 80 degrees.  1st two times i was out at dusk into the night and it was super slow, only managed a couple small largemouth on jitterbugs each time.  Went out this past sunday and got into a school of perch, caught 9 whites and two yellows before i ran out of bait.  Most fish were at least 8 feet down, marked them down to 25 feet.  Gonna hit it again tomorrow evening/night for some more top water action.

sull155

« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2010, 06:52 PM »
this is my 1st attempt at a pic post, hope it works

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #25 on: Jul 14, 2010, 06:56 PM »
How is the water quality there?

sull155

« Reply #26 on: Jul 14, 2010, 07:06 PM »
it's fine as far as i know, i've never seen any signs and i've been fishing there and eating the fish my whole life.  If it's no good then i am f'd.

sull155

« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2010, 07:17 PM »
here's what the state says, i believe this came out in 1996, I don't feel good about this.
http://db.state.ma.us/dph/fishadvisory/SearchResults.asp?Action=WATER

bassdontlie

« Reply #28 on: Jul 15, 2010, 01:47 PM »
There was an article in the globe about 8 or 9 years ago that said not to eat any native fish out of any lake/pond in MA.  Eat only stocked fish. 

13fish

« Reply #29 on: Jul 15, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Looks like the cleanup started around June 24th:

http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/06/24/41303-sediment-cleanup-on-lake-cochituate/

It'll be interesting to see how this all works out.........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.