FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question about fishing with powerbait  (Read 8025 times)

Damurpha

• Fish forever....work whenever!
Question about fishing with powerbait
« on: Apr 10, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Okay here goes, I don't usually fish with power bait cuz i always gut hook fish, I'm mostly a catch and release guy but I'll use it when things are slow.  Any tips on using circle hooks? I've tried them and found the lip/gut hook ratio to be 50/50 should I tighten my drag? tired of letting trout swim away with a hook in it. The fish and I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks guys
I fish, because the voices in my head tell me to!

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
Re: Question about fishing with powerbait
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2011, 08:30 PM »
Try using a slip sinker and don't set the hook.

ma_fisherman

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2011, 12:41 AM »
damurpha- im with you on this one.  I do not keep the trout i catch and would prefer to return them to the water unharmed (even though many of the waters i fish are put and take anyways...with few holdovers) but the trout are always swallowing that d**n stuff.  It's a catch 22 because in order to get the stuff to float properly (especially the power eggs) i have to use a small hook (size 8 maybe size 6 with regular pb) and thus the hook is swallowed.  I do not think the answer is to not set the hook because they will swallow on their own anyways.  I would like to have an early hook set but when i try that they ended up giving it back before the hook was set.  I doubt using a circle hook would help much.  Might have trouble floating the bait with one not to mention the bait may look more conspicuous because it would be tough to cover.  interested to hear any good ideas here.

lavaman

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2011, 07:09 AM »
don't use power bait. i catch most of my trout casting spoons and they are always hooked right in the corner of the mouth. thomas buoyant, phebe, kastmasters all work good for casting far. i think they fight better that way also. if you do have to use power bait get a hook remover that has the 2 sized bulb head that u put the line in the middle of then slide it down to the hook and push pull. i also release the trout.

Shimpdogg

« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2011, 07:11 AM »
don't use power bait. i catch most of my trout casting spoons and they are always hooked right in the corner of the mouth. thomas buoyant, phebe, kastmasters all work good for casting far. i think they fight better that way also
How do you work the thomas buoyant? Do you reel at a constant rate or do you pull it up and let it fall down and flutter?
Been using them but not sure how to work them. Thanks

lavaman

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2011, 07:18 AM »
How do you work the thomas buoyant? Do you reel at a constant rate or do you pull it up and let it fall down and flutter?
Been using them but not sure how to work them. Thanks
slow steady retrieve. watch the action as it's coming in and adjust accordingly. i tried the flutter method and it didn't work for me. i use the smaller size spoon in rainbow trout color. it's mostly just being at the right place at the right time as they swim by. they seem to stay together as a group and it helps to know where they were stocked in the pond because they seem to return to that spot to be fed.

RippinLips

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2011, 07:37 AM »
When I fish with powerbait, I usually pinch down the barb with a plier if I'm doing C & R. That way when I gut hook a fish it makes it easier to remove the hook and causes less harm to the fish.

Dana

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Try a bigger hook! What size are you using?
Glenn, get the net!

Damurpha

• Fish forever....work whenever!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Size 6 egg or baitholder any heavier and I gotta use alot more powerbait to keep it afloat. I like rippinlips idea of crimpin' the barb down, thought if I do that to a circle hook tighten the drag and leave a little slack in the line , the trout might run just enough to set the hook in the corner of his mouth.
I fish, because the voices in my head tell me to!

ma_fisherman

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2011, 11:49 PM »
rippinlips-thats a good idea of crimping down the barb.  seems obvious now but the truth is i never thought of it.
capt dana- like damurpha said the hook i use has to be small in order for the power bait to float...especially if i use the power eggs.  trust me when i say im a catch and release guy....even in put and take waters i like to let my fish swim off.....and i dont take it lightly either but a larger hook wouldnt work for me. thx for the feedback though.

lavaman-you know ive been getting away from bait and wait fishing over the yrs for almost every species i fish for except for carp and trout.  Obviously im limited in options with the carp but i think your right about turning to the use of artificials to catch trout.  I think it makes sense on a lot of levels not just the preservation of the fish.  I think ive been intimidated at the thought of chasing trout without my powerbait because the truth is ive been doing it this way for so long.  Also, trout are not the same aggressive type of species as some others i target with artificials such as bass, pickerals, perch and crappies, and stripers.  im never sure the best way to go out about it.....in line spinners (rooster tail, panther martins?), small plugs (rapalas or youzuri pin minnows?), or small spoons (kastmasters, little cleos, thomas buoyant, super duper?).  You recommended the small spoons and it's funny that someone else asked you how you retrieve them because i was gonna ask the same question.  I know some people seem to cast from shore with them and use them in a horizontal jigging style.  Ive also heard many agree that the rainbow patterns work well on trout.  I will spend some time exploring this method for trout soon. thx for sharing. take care

Dana

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2011, 11:49 AM »
There's nothing wrong with #6 hook. If you said #14-#10 I would have suggested a switch to #8-#6. I hear you about the weight of the hook and the amount of Power Bait to float it.

Have you guy's tried the Gulp eggs? My customers say it out fishes the Berkley. I also have the Gulp chartruse paste made Krill. (sick)
Glenn, get the net!

re-pete

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2011, 12:27 PM »
theres really noway around it, trout suck down that powerbait and swallow the hook with it. try pike hooks  ;D lol. X2 on the thomas buoyant. Gold with the dots.

Scotty D

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2011, 05:58 PM »
I went out today and caught 7 trout on a thomas, with a slow retrieve, 2 on a gold phoebe, and 1 on powerbait. i tried a size 4 eagle calw octopus hook and it sucked it right down. Needless to say that one is in the fridge.
fishing soothes the soul

Basstracker

« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2011, 07:35 AM »
When using powerbait i use a small trebel hook and haven't really had any problems with fish swallowing the hook. i rig it drop shot and try and grab the rod right away and set the hook quick. I've had them swallow it down inside their mouth but not in their stomach... I have been able to get out every hook this year. i went to a bigger sized trebel this year i cant remember what size... when I check ill update with what size i use.

landlockedsalmon

• Remember we all live downstream.
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2011, 10:55 PM »
The only way to not hook them deep is to not use bait.I was a avid bait fisherman and it has taken me years to learn how to fool trout with artifical baits,and lures and jigs.I fish mainely with rapalas,of various sizes.I also fish with alot of small spoons like the pheobe,in copper and rainbow colors,the smallest ones you can buy with the small snap swivel on them.I know now that I can out fish most of my buddies that use bait.You will learn that you can fish small spoons and jigs in spots where you can't fish other lures.Because they sink faster.I have caught numerous brown trout over three pounds and up to 8 pounds in a local river all on lures.Try lures you might be surprised how good they work for you.LLS
if everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.