FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Nice striper  (Read 2934 times)

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
Nice striper
« on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:20 AM »
My son caught this striper from the beach at Head of the Meadow. He was fishing with 12 pound test and a seaworm/fish finder rig.
FTD

mongo

Re: Nice striper
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2005, 11:52 AM »
FTD, if OK with you I may have a bunch of question this year on stripers. I am looking to try the salt water from time to time but do not know what kind of gear, bait or locations.
GREAT looking fish.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2005, 02:28 PM »
great pic FTD nice striper and a happy young angler
Scotty 

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2005, 08:56 AM »
FTD, if OK with you I may have a bunch of question this year on stripers. I am looking to try the salt water from time to time but do not know what kind of gear, bait or locations.
GREAT looking fish.
Anytime Mongo. I grew up on Cape Cod and I still have family and friends there.
FTD

mongo

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:08 AM »
FTD, Thanks.
Any suggestions on a new combo rod and reel as I have no equipment for salt water. I was looking thru the new Basspro Salt water flyer that was sent to me this week and was not sure what to look for.
I would be fishing from shore.

pointer103

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:07 PM »
Mongo,

I've been fishing the canal down to Race Point for many years.
I've had a Shimano Bait Runner 6500 for 15 years and I'll fish with for many more.
The also make a 4500 and a 3500, these are smaller reels with less capacity, but are also good choices.
These are popular reels for shore fisherman because it has a double drag system. It's great for fishing with cut bait, sand eels, black eels...etc. The reels light drag is set to keep the tide from taking the bait, when the fish bites you give the handle a crank, or flip the lever, and this puts the reel into the fighting drag.
I've read a couple of articles in magazines which claim that you can fight tuna with this reel.

There is a variety of rods out there and you should go to a store where you can heft the rod and swing it a few times. Pick the one that feels good in your hands. The length from the butt to the reel seat varies between makes and this should be a consideration. There are fiberglass rods out there that cast well and are great for lifting fish in the canal.

A Shakespear Ugly Stik, 10.5 ft heavy, is a good choice for a starter rod and is fairly inexpensive. You'll pay more for the reel than the rod. Although I find this stick a little loose for long casting, it'll do the job. I have a few friends who have this rod and they've had a lot of fun with it.

After a few years you'll most likely get a custom rod built to fit you and where you want to fish, but this is not cheap, a good rod can run you $250 and up. I use a conventional rod and reel for long casts off the beach. The rod is a custom and cost me $325 2.5 years ago and the reel, a Shimano Calcutta, goes for $250. But you should see the distance! Conventional reels are harder to learn than a spinning reel, and they're not as suited for baiting line and sticking in a rod holder.

These are my recommendations for the beginner, but there is a lot of opinions on this subject.

Lee
Tight lines and BIG fish!

pointer103

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:27 PM »
PS, FTD,

Looks like a happy boy, the fish has a bit of girth to it.
The Meadow had some nice fish running last year towards the end of the season.

Have you ever fished Scorton?

Lee
Tight lines and BIG fish!

Original FISHER Jodoin

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2005, 07:24 AM »
Real nice fish, I bet he h eld that smile for a LONG time!! :thumbup_smilie:
GIT _ R _ DONE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.