FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vacation in Review  (Read 810 times)

westernmas

Vacation in Review
« on: Aug 07, 2014, 10:40 AM »
So I was on vacation from 7/31 until yesterday (back in the office today...:cursing:).  I left western mass really early on 7/31/14 and was fishing the ditch by 6:45AM.  I fished steadily until about 9:30 with no luck.  I returned to the ditch on a rainy Sunday evening and had the same results (fished from about 3 - 8PM).  I think I was the only person on the shore that didn't hook into a striper on Sunday.  The place was packed with more fisherman than I have ever seen at the ditch.  It was worse than the Salmon River.  However it seemed like from 6:30 to 8 PM the surface action turned on and everyone and their brother caught a real nice cow, except for me.  It seemed like any popper with red in it was getting a strike but my limited selection of saltwater lures had no red!!!  I thru savage sandeels, SP minnows and pencil poppers but all I managed was a few missed strikes.

I also brought my kayak and freshwater gear to the cape.  After the ditch on 7/31 I hit up Mashpee Lake for some bassn and only managed to pull up one relatively large white perch.  I did get to see a couple of skinny dippers at the far end of the lake and the lady swimming was all I needed to get over my lack of fish.  I also fished from the yak a couple of more times.  I hit a small pond on the brewster/orleans line that has some good trout fishing.  I caught a handful of trout in the 11-14 inch range and one dink bass.  That same day I trolled Sheeps Pond in Brewster for some bigger trout.  I caught a ton of yellow perch on crawlers but the one trout I hooked spit the hook right at the boat.  It looked like a 3lb rainbow but I wasn't sure.  I just know it was big and in deep water.

The best day of fishing was yesterday when I was back in my home waters.  I slept in a little and hit up the Chesterfield Gorge at about 9 to do some fly fishing.  I fished there for about 3 hours and caught two nice rainbows.  The first was probably 14 inches and the second was about 16 inches.  I also caught a nice brown in the 17 inch range.  I had several other strikes and lost a couple others because of a lack of net.  I will be posting pics of the gorge shortly.  The rest of the fish weren't pic worthy.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

Re: Vacation in Review
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Smaller rainbow

Bigger rainbow

Nice brown

Scenery

Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Frustrating at time, but still sounds like Fun!!
Years ago some buddy's and I were heading to P town to do some surf fishing, but stopped at a pond to do a little jitterbugging (it was like 11:00pm), well when we pulled in there were a bunch of cars in the parking lot. We grabbed our gear and walked down to the water and there was a crowd of people on the beach. A few came walking over in white bathing suits and as they got close (we had no lights on) we realized it was tan lines! There had to be over 30 people skinny dipping! You never know what you will see!!!

thedirtydirtyfisherman

« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Where's the pic of the skinny dipper????? ;D ;D ;D

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2014, 11:42 AM »
Where's the pic of the skinny dipper????? ;D ;D ;D

Haha I knew that was coming.  She saw me and quickly dipped under the water and didn't leave the water until I was gone.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.