FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Slammin salmon!  (Read 4105 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Slammin salmon!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Beautiful fish!  The only salmon I've ever cughtare those 7" fingerlings they used to stock in the tributaries of the CT River.  Loks like the ones you cught would give a great fight.

They pull hard Jim!  Some guys run 500 feet of wire and thats quite the haul in at 2 mph! 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:20 AM »
Good fish. I would love to smoke a few fillets.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:43 AM »

Last night after work...did some king, coho and stealhead.  Entire office was eating bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon this morning!  No brine..just a rinse and 2 hours of applewood smoke at 170 and 1 hr at 200 at the end to be safe.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:53 AM »
Nice!

If you have never tried it, make some Salmon jerky next time. I had my entire HQ demolish 6 liters in 2 hours. everyone had fish breath, kinda funny. I am due to make more now that i think about it. To add, i smoked the salmon to make jerky.

I have a separate post - how do i post an image from photobucket? not letting me for like i used to for some reason or i am missing a step.
Wicked Wec

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #19 on: Jul 11, 2017, 01:41 PM »
Beautiful fish!  The only salmon I've ever cughtare those 7" fingerlings they used to stock in the tributaries of the CT River.  Loks like the ones you cught would give a great fight.

I'll be honest, for years I avoided trolling salmon in the big lakes because of the tackle involved, didn't look like much fun, just put the rods out and troll, hook a fish and just reel it in.  

Well, not only do those fish fight like hell, its so d**n strategic, this salmon trolling crap, with the currents, the light penetration, temp breaks, meat vs flies vs spoons, etc.   Its pretty darn cool....i just bought two wire setups for dipsy divers.   what the hell have i gotten myself into  ??? ???  :D 8)

deerhunter

« Reply #20 on: Jul 11, 2017, 01:55 PM »
nice batch of Ontario fish there, jon. can't wait to get up there in aug

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Jul 11, 2017, 08:08 PM »
nice batch of Ontario fish there, jon. can't wait to get up there in aug

Thanks Bill!  I can't wait to finish getting my boat setup to a point where it can be used there! 

Tom Hannock

« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2017, 04:06 PM »
I'll be honest, for years I avoided trolling salmon in the big lakes because of the tackle involved, didn't look like much fun, just put the rods out and troll, hook a fish and just reel it in.  

Well, not only do those fish fight like hell, its so d**n strategic, this salmon trolling crap, with the currents, the light penetration, temp breaks, meat vs flies vs spoons, etc.   Its pretty darn cool....i just bought two wire setups for dipsy divers.   what the hell have i gotten myself into  ??? ???  :D 8)

Say what???  bigred is going to do some trolling and like it :w00t:
Friends don't let friends use tipups.

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2017, 04:43 PM »
Say what???  bigred is going to do some trolling and like it :w00t:

He is...even though we only landed 2 kings last season he was loving trying to figure it out.  So was I.  Like kids catching a stockie the first time.  It never gets old...

fishsluggos

« Reply #24 on: Jul 13, 2017, 07:52 PM »
Thanks!  Kings on a flyrod...could not imagine.  I will have a 10 wt setup soon for albie season!

Well done Jon!

Save the 10 for football BF tuna. Man-up and use an 8wt for albies & bones.  ;D

I have some killer lures & flies to troll up those albies. Fire me an email and I'll set you up.

sul

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Challenge accepted.  :o

Have my eyes on a nice lamson reel that cabelas white lables. 

Tom Hannock

« Reply #26 on: Jul 14, 2017, 10:00 AM »
He is...even though we only landed 2 kings last season he was loving trying to figure it out.  So was I.  Like kids catching a stockie the first time.  It never gets old...

Nice salmon there.  I absolutely LOVE trolling for salmon, trout, walleye and even stripers in Maine with the tube and worm and can totally understand.  When a salmon pops the rigger it's such a blast. 

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2017, 10:22 AM »
Say what???  bigred is going to do some trolling and like it :w00t:

seriously, what is going on here  ;D  Your eyes don't deceive you  8) My interest in trolling waxes and wanes with the seasons.   Tell ya what I have learned, there is zero replacement for the fish attracting qualities of leadcore and wire.  Braid and mono just don't cut it.

Tom Hannock

« Reply #28 on: Jul 14, 2017, 10:29 AM »
seriously, what is going on here  ;D  Your eyes don't deceive you  8)

Well I actually bought a couple fly rods this year and started fly fishing a little bit so I get it.  Never too late to try different fishing techniques except TIPUPS which are never acceptable :thumbup_smilie:

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: Jul 14, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Well I actually bought a couple fly rods this year and started fly fishing a little bit so I get it.  Never too late to try different fishing techniques except TIPUPS which are never acceptable :thumbup_smilie:

Same here...broke out the long rod after years without having fly fished.  Now I am looking at various downriggers, trolling setups and a kicker for O.  If I keep it up I will need a second job.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.