FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Meat Run (long post)  (Read 2008 times)

westernmas

Meat Run (long post)
« on: Jul 01, 2020, 09:39 AM »
I had some time off over the last few days so I spent the time down at the Cape with family.  On Saturday we had a charter out of the Bass River on the Lyndsy Liz with Captain Ray Ransom.  The weather and surf were perfect and all species of fish cooperated.  We left the dock shortly before 4am with our initial target being stripers.  To my surprise the captain's preferred tactic this time of year is trolling squid flies on leadcore which was new to me and quite easy to learn for the inexperienced anglers like my girlfriend and my cousin's.  I also had my 8wt fly rod with my so we trolled a squid fly on the surface in between the other rigs.  We landed upwards of 15-20 stripers, with most of them being slot fish or slightly under the slot, 6 of which were caught and landed on the 8wt.  We kept our limit of 28-30 inch fish but by that time the incoming tide had cooled the water off substantially and the bite seemed to die.

After that we changed courses to target seabass.  The action was fast and furious with birds diving and blues smashing bait on the surface.  It was easy enough to get through the blues but we had to sort through a ton of short seabass and sea robins but we got our limit of seabass, along with a mix of keeper fluke.  While most people were bottom fishing, I took the 8wt to the bow of the boat and started double hauling the squid fly for blues on the surface.  I connected on 4 quite large blues, all of which shook the hook right at the boat, which was preferred by the captain and mate.

On the ride in the captain did an amazing job of filleting the fish.  We were back on the dock by 1130 with a cooler stuffed full of fish, sun kissed skin and smiles on all of our faces.  I can't say enough great things about the boat, mate and especially the captain.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

Re: Meat Run (long post)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Glad you had such a good trip!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Lots of nice meals there.  Congratulations...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2020, 10:58 AM »
sounds like you were fishing the rips at monomoy. squid imitations can be killer there this time of year. great place for the fly rod. trolling squid imitations on lead core is common practice there. glad to hear you had a great trip.

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2020, 12:04 PM »
sounds like you were fishing the rips at monomoy. squid imitations can be killer there this time of year. great place for the fly rod. trolling squid imitations on lead core is common practice there. glad to hear you had a great trip.

You nailed it!  It was a blast.  We might make it an annual trip now.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Steve H.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2020, 12:32 PM »
Nice haul.  And good on you for taking stringing up the 8-weight.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Good stuff Pat

manitron

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2020, 07:17 PM »
 Sounds like a great time Pat ! Nice report.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2020, 02:42 AM »
Nice work!
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2020, 10:50 AM »
 :clapping: :clapping:

westernmas

« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2020, 08:45 AM »
Thanks guys.  Already debating a Tuna trip with some buddies seeing as though one guy's wedding is pushed back a year and we all have time off for the bachelor party.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2020, 06:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  Already debating a Tuna trip with some buddies seeing as though one guy's wedding is pushed back a year and we all have time off for the bachelor party.

I would be in if you needed extra.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2020, 08:02 AM »
I would be in if you needed extra.

Weren't too many interested on the group chat.  I'll be sure to let you know if a spot is available.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2020, 02:21 PM »
Sounds great!
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2020, 08:27 AM »
I can get us out there too Pat.  Buddy's dad is a captain and goes out on a Century 2901 with twin 250's.  Fun boat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.