FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Motor Guide or Min Kota??  (Read 3011 times)

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
Motor Guide or Min Kota??
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:53 PM »
In the past I have had a Min Kota Power Drive mounted on the bow of my boat. I was quite happy with the overall performance. What I didn't like is the cradle that the drive head sits in. It was difficult to lower the motor for use. Well, that boat is gone and the Min Kota went with it. It's time for a trolling motor on the front of my new to me boat. The Motor Guide looks like it has a cradling system that would make it much easier to lower the motor. I have heard that the Motor Guides are in for service much more frequently than the Min Kota. Can anybody shed any light on this? Any Motor Guide owners who have had problems or are satisfied? Let me know your experiences please.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

bassranger

Re: Motor Guide or Min Kota??
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:51 PM »
I am a minn kota fan. The guy's I know that have motor guides do have more problem's then I do with my minn kota's.  Although I do not like the power drive When I bought my boat it came with a power drive slow steering and I also didn't like the way it raised and deployed. If you have room on the front, I would go with a minn kota with a scissor lift and cable steering either the Minn Kota Edge but even better the Minn Kota Maxxum you will not be disapoint they are great motors. One other thing I dislike about motor guide is there foot pedals are cheap and the power button is in a weird spot.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

havejigwilltravel

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:14 PM »
i have owned both.go with the minn kota.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:36 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply, guys. Like I said, the only issue I had with my Power Drive was the way it deployed. I've been told that they have made improvements to that this year. We're sticking with the MinKota. Thanks again.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.