FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Electric filet knife  (Read 15603 times)

redarrow61

Re: Electric filet knife
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2011, 12:07 PM »
u can even sharpen the blade on a regular knife steel as your sharpening cuts the time in half

eyehi

« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2011, 05:44 PM »
I just burned my electric knife up a few weeks ago cleaning a limit of perch. Going to buy another one on payday. I only use it when i have several fish to clean but it sure saves time. eyehi out.
Budweiser pro staff

filetandrelease

« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2011, 06:01 AM »
I use to cut fish for a living at a couple of shops ,i use hand knives for bigger fish like steelhead and salmon ,but use electric for all my panfish so much faster ,and i use black and decker it was cheap and it takes a beating ,got a new 1 in the box when this 1 craps out

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2011, 07:22 AM »
Electric knives save me so much time filleting, especially on the panfish, Crappie and Perch !

surflizard

« Reply #19 on: Apr 24, 2011, 05:54 AM »
Over on the ice shanty, Scott has posted a electric knife filleting video on the Lindy shanty if anyone wants to check it out. it takes the guy less then a minute to Fillet the Crappie, its pretty impressive !

mealworm

• snoogan
« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2011, 07:45 AM »
i never used to keep many pan fish in an outing cause it always took so long to get them filleted,then i moved up in the world and bought a mister twister electric knife....best investment i ever made, now i can fillet and package 50 perch in about an hour

bucky75

« Reply #21 on: Apr 26, 2011, 04:50 PM »
I have an american angler knife and love it. Since I got mine about 10 yrs ago I dont mind bringing home that 5 gallon bucket of panfish.  I know I wont be there all night cleaning them.

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #22 on: Apr 26, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Agreed.  An electric fillet knife changed my whole outlook on eating panfish...

The ten bucks I spent on the knife has been repaid over and over by nearly-free dinners of fresh perch and crappie.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

Pout

« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2012, 10:51 AM »
We'll see if this thread is dead!  My Pops and I have always used electrics for filleting pan fish.  My absolute favorite knives are the old Hamilton Beach's that were made in the 70's and 80's.  Don't know if they'll ever wear out.  Would never clean a batch of crappie without the electric, unless my electricity was on the fritz!

Dabluz

« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Ok.....I'll bite.....in what way does an electric knife make filleting fish any better?

Sure....it cuts through bone.

Are you guys using the technique of cutting off both fillets and then removing the rib cage after the fillet is removed?

Yes....I can see where this method could be faster but I do not catch panfish...there are no panfish where I live except brook trout.

I fish for brook trout, walleye, landlocked salmon, pike and these fish have small bones that are at right angles to the main back bone.

I sometimes use the same technique of removing the whole fillet and then removing the rib cage and the small bones that come straight off the back bone.  But to remove the main fillet, I find it is faster with a good butcher knife.  I rarely use a fillet knife unless it's for small brook trout.

My fillet knife is sharp enough for me to shave with.  It also removes the cheeks on walleye and pike, which an electric knife cannot do.  A fillet knife also removes the fins from a fillet a lot faster and easier than an electric knife.

Yes....electric knives are popular because people do not use knives that are sharp enough.  You never see a butcher use an electric knife because it is too slow.  However, a butcher spends a lot of time keeping his knife sharp.

lastapproach

« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Two mister twisters.
The older one seems to run better than the newer one. New one not broke in yet? I don't know.
Both beat using a manual filet knife any day.

icin_eyes

« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Ok.....I'll bite.....in what way does an electric knife make filleting fish any better?

Sure....it cuts through bone.

Are you guys using the technique of cutting off both fillets and then removing the rib cage after the fillet is removed?

Yes....I can see where this method could be faster but I do not catch panfish...there are no panfish where I live except brook trout.

I fish for brook trout, walleye, landlocked salmon, pike and these fish have small bones that are at right angles to the main back bone.

I sometimes use the same technique of removing the whole fillet and then removing the rib cage and the small bones that come straight off the back bone.  But to remove the main fillet, I find it is faster with a good butcher knife.  I rarely use a fillet knife unless it's for small brook trout.

My fillet knife is sharp enough for me to shave with.  It also removes the cheeks on walleye and pike, which an electric knife cannot do.  A fillet knife also removes the fins from a fillet a lot faster and easier than an electric knife.

Yes....electric knives are popular because people do not use knives that are sharp enough.  You never see a butcher use an electric knife because it is too slow.  However, a butcher spends a lot of time keeping his knife sharp.

Why waste time sharpening your fillet knife when you can fillet fish faster and with less effort with an electric?  I use mine for everything from gills to kings.  Taking the cheeks out of a walleye?  No problem, don't blink or you'll miss it.  Fillet a pike boneless cutting out all the Y bones?  Piece of cake.  Panfish, yep.  By the way I use it to cut my ribeyes as well.  LOL  You want minute steaks or juicy 1 1/4" slabs.  The key I've found to using electric knives is not to have them too sharp.  Let the slicing scissor action of the blades do the work for you.  With the right blades your electric will glide along bones and skin without slicing through.

filetandrelease

« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2012, 08:56 AM »

well i guess that answers that but then again to each there own , when i use to cut salmon and steelhead , don't think i would try doing 200 kings in one day with an electric but for a personal use it works if i ate them

jumbo chaser

« Reply #28 on: Mar 19, 2012, 12:07 AM »
Think im  going to buy one soon . this year I have cleaned at least 300 fish and with regular knife and have not tried a electric yet but its hard to change after the knife I have had it for 25 years . Old habits hard to break LOL

Dabluz

« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2012, 08:15 PM »
I make my fillets in a way that no one else does.  I work from the inside.  I start by pushing the blade of my fillet knife under the fish just behind the anus and coming out the top of the fish not far behind the dorsal fin.  Then I just follow the backbone to the tail.  When I separate the rib cage from the fillet, I jab the fillet knife just under the rib cage near the anus and I can see from inside the fish's stomach cavity the progression of my fillet knife.  When that is done on both fillets, I then cut through the skin of the fish along the top, close to the backbone.  When I get to the part that has already been separated from the rib cage, the fillet falls off the fish.  It's very fast and no loss of meat.  I can do it with the fish in my hands....no need to lie it down on a board.

Almost all of my filetting is done while I'm still in the bush.  No 120 volt available.  Yes....a 12 volt knife would work but I don't want to bother with wires going to my battery.....if I bring a battery that is.

I especially like small brook trout from 6 to 10 inches long.  A small fillet knife is fast and handy.  The larger brook trout.....I release them.

I guess if I did fish for panfish like bluegills or crappie, I would take the electric knife route and I see where an electric knife would be just the ticket, but there are no such fish in my region.  I do catch a couple of perch per year when I fish for walleye.

Anyway, I just don't find an electric knife convenient for me.  I use the first knife that comes to hand.  Even use a 2 1/2  Swiss pocket knife.  All my knives are razor sharp.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.