FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carrot stix wild rods  (Read 6030 times)

perchslayer716

Carrot stix wild rods
« on: Mar 25, 2011, 03:42 PM »
What do you guys think of them?

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: Carrot stix wild rods
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2011, 07:35 AM »
I have owned both the original and the gold carrot stix, both were a quality rod. I have held one of these and I like the micro guide idea. Like most rods the carrot stix will be a personal preference, but if you want my opion the gold rod is the best rod in the line-up, the original series is much stiffer and I had  a harder time accuratly casting

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2011, 06:13 PM »
I have always been a Shakespeare Ugly Stik guy but have seen these carrot stix on tv.

How do you guys think any of the carrot stix rods compare to Shakespeare Ugly Stik rods? ???

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

perchslayer716

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2011, 06:25 PM »
are you kidding?   :o

Water Wolf

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:33 PM »
I am very serious, I have only seen these carrot stix on TV, so can't get a feel for them from there and unfortunately There are no tackle stores in my area that carry them so I can't see one live.

I think it's cool that E21 are using carrot fibers to make a fishing rod. 8)

I have never had a problem with my Shakespeare Ugly stik, for strength, flex and accuracy in the cast, but,I have found sometimes a more expensive rod works about the same as a less expensive rod.

Just curious on the comparison that's all. :P

WW

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2011, 07:41 AM »
I have used both an ugly stick and a carrot stix. It will be hard to compare them as there is wide gap in the price range of the rods, but I will try to touch on some aspects

1) Carrot stix is extremely light, much lighter the the ugly stick
2) Carrot stix are very strong, and would be comparable to the strength of an ugly stick
3) Carrot stix are much more sensitive then the ugly stick, you can feel everything with them

Pro's for the Ugly over the carrot stix will be few, depending on the fishing you do. Ugly sticks are known for strength and I would give them an edge, but for bass fishing it would not be a required edge. Carrot stix or E21 as a company have taken some flak for poor customer service, you have to fight them to replace a rod, so that is a big issue in my mind.

Hope this helps, as with any rod, it comes down to personally preference, you will need to hold a rod to see if it is better for you. The carrot stix may be great on paper, but I sold all mine, because they were not right for me

perchslayer716

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2011, 07:27 PM »
ugly sticks have there place in the fishing world because they simply dont break. but its hard to compare them to the carrot sticks because there is a $110 price difference

Water Wolf

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Thanks for the info and comparisons bassjunky and perchslayer716, I am starting to get a better idea of what they are like. :)

WW

ma_fisherman

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2011, 12:29 AM »
The ugly stick holds no advantage over the carrot stix except in durability, price, and appearance (even though they are called ugly sticks the real ugly stick is the carrot stix in my opinion).  Now, with that said i am not a huge fan of any of the carrot stix lines.  The wild series at about 100 bucks is at a price point where there are some other rods of better quality.  The 100 dollar price point give or take a 20 spot has become one of the most competitive in the rod market.  I would suggest checking out these that are in that price range if you are looking to upgrade: abu garcia veritas (or vendetta or verdict), bps carbonlite, damiki angel, falcon bucoo, bps bionic blade.

Practically speaking the ugly stick is extremely functional and very modestly priced.  That is why they are so popular....even people who barely fish know what an ugly stick is.  However, if you were to purchase any of the above rods i mentioned i highly doubt you would ever want to buy another ugly stick again.  The difference in weight and sensitivity is just so substantial.  I really think it is worth it.  I am not a guy who buys top end rods like dobyns or kistler and spend 200, 300, or more on a rod but i do think making a 100 dollar or so invesment in a decent rod is worth it if you are someone who fishes on the regular.  good luck if you decide to make a purchase.

fishlessman

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2011, 12:58 PM »
bought the wild spinning version this winter ML 7 footer, no problem landing salmon this weekend, nice bend, not too whippy , troled with a fly reel on it. also bought as pflueger patriarch reel for bass fishing, casts nice, think im going to like this rod. the guide tip is pushing it with size, with the trolling setup i had to tie them in differently though this isnt what the rod was designed for it was nice to fish with it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.