FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ethanol? Hype?  (Read 11259 times)

Rev. N.

Re: Ethanol? Hype?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 07:45 PM »
A mechanic told me to use the ENTIRE bottle of Startron to a full tank of gas (I/O, 15 gal tank) and one bottle (2 oz. ) of Super Charger 2 (carb cleaner gas treatment per tank). It is a 4 cylinder pinto engine. Runs like a top doing what SHE said. She apparently knows her stuff.

Trakndwg

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Our govt officials should be HUNG, then SHOT over this ethanol BS.

Utilize the greediest crop on earth (CORN) that requires the most water and fertilizer, and at the same time use Corn for Fuel as an excuse to bump up food prices (I'm sure you noticed the hyper-inflation at the grocery store).

Switchgrass would work just as well, grows on marginal land, requires no fertilizer, and would not impact food prices.

Hemp would work too - but the govt will have to pull all the remaining copies of the Reefer Madness Movie they distributed.

Ethanol is a solvent - it will eat plastic parts - on boats and cars...

I'm with you Drake. I recall once hearing or reading that it takes 10 caloric units of energy to produce 1 caloric unit of ethanol. That just doesn't add up. The farm lobby is mighty powerful...

WHAT A FLIPPIN JOKE...

"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

tree-on

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Another issue that everyone overlooks is the fact that they can use poorer fuel with the ethanol fuel. Ethanol has 113 octane. By blending it with 88 octane gasoline, regular can be turned into premium, so what type of crap are they using to get 87 if they use 10-15% ethanol.

Also I checked with the NYS Bureau of Weights & Measures, and retailers are required to post the ethanol percentage, IE up to 10% ethanol, up to 15% ethanol.  I checked this because all of my vehicles are 2004 and earlier. 15% is approved for 2007 and newer cars only. Since Obama approved the 15% gas, I want to make sure I don't use any. Must be part of the stimulus plan, kill all the old cars, people have to buy new.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 06:18 PM »
interesting and  true  story  i  had to have  my  fuel pump  rebuilt and  kp  helped  me out  within  one week of the rebuild  the  ethanol  attacked a  rubber  gasket  and  stretched  it  out of shape  !  this  is  unbelievable
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

slamboney

• hook em so hard they go cross eyed!!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32 AM »

I agree, this ethanol thing is subsidy for farmers and does nothing to meet out fuel needs. When you put more in than you get out that is not a good thing.  Our politicians really let us down on this one.  It so obvious when you look at the facts, I just don't know how this stuff happens. 

I put no addtives in my fuel and have had not problems with my 50 hp 2 stroke. I only stabilize it in the winter to prevent the water buil up which can happen easily with ethanol.  Big changesin temerature can cause water to  separate out.   
shut up and fish

tree-on

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 07:43 AM »
interesting and  true  story  i  had to have  my  fuel pump  rebuilt and  kp  helped  me out  within  one week of the rebuild  the  ethanol  attacked a  rubber  gasket  and  stretched  it  out of shape  !  this  is  unbelievable
Also watch your small engines. Just spent last night replacing the fuel pump on the lawn mower (kohlar) I opened up the old pump and the diaphragm was disintegrating. I'm putting startron in my mower, atv and  chainsaw-trimmer gas now.  the only ethanol free station I knew is no longer selling it. He said he can't get any more from his suppliers.

Cook078

« Reply #21 on: Jun 05, 2011, 08:08 PM »

The worst time for all our engines was the past 2 years when the stations changed over to E-10 because ethanol is a powerful solvent that cleaned all the tanks and lines and fuel hauling trailers out....so it should only get better since all that sludge should be gone.....ethanol does attract moisture, and it seperates from gas quickly (within a few months)  so if your engine is running good, you should be good, but very important to treat or drain during off season....I treat all my small engines and every can of gas that I fill up because I never know how long it is going to last.....

An interesting bit from a (former) fuel-hauler....If you think that because the pump says 10% ethanol that you are actually getting 10%.....you might be in for a surprise.  There are so many variables its not funny, from the loading racks losing power during loading to how they add it to the gas.....

flippin and dippin

« Reply #22 on: Jun 20, 2011, 01:26 PM »
ihave always used seafoam additive,has been around for ever and has been treating ethanol for years..nothing but good luck with it can get it right at napa

dreamcatcher310

« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Will adding marine grade stabil or sea foam be enough to treat my gas or should I get other stuff as well? Is it safe to add the other stuff along with stabil or sea foam?

I just got my motor back from the shop after having all carbs clogged, mechanic said it was due to all the ethanol in the gas and said that it's screwing carbs in small engines left and right.

tracker 1

« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:34 PM »
you just  keep  running  it  without additive  and  see  if  it's  hype !!!!   treat you  gas   trak  i  had  to  replace a  plastic  tank  fuel pump and  carb work !!!!  i  felt  like  you  until  my  boat motor  ,lawn mower  and weed whacker  all needed   the  fuel  systems  cleaned !!!!
   So far I have worked on boat carb, trolling carb, ice auger, 2 chain saws,weed wacker lawn mower. Now that I have seen what ethanol gas  does, you can have it.   I still am not sure if draining Carb is better then using startron. The Politician seem like they just don't care about the working man.

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Apr 26, 2012, 08:07 PM »

merc says that the 4 strokes can handle the crap gas but I'm still using stratron and stabil , and a mechanic , told me just to keep doing what I'm doing that's all i know, and he is a licenced merc mechanic 

robbi

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 10:17 AM »
From most of the stuff I read on this issue, it's not the ability of the motor to "handle" the ethanol, it's the parts.  Older motors (I run a 92 Merc 90) aren't equipped with the proper fuel lines and gaskets that resist the corrosive properties of ethanol.  Therefore, they break down and start disintegrating.  Check your fuel lines to see if they are "hard" and you will know if they are being effected.  When they break down the pieces, or silt travels to the engine and can cause major internal damage, especially if it gets into the oil and starts working on the bearings etc.  It of course works overtime on the carburator and can accelerate wear and tear on the parts (valves and such) not to mention breaking down the gaskets and causing leaks etc.    I've searched the area I live in and found some stations that have premium grade fuel without ethanol and that's what I've started running in everything I own that takes fuel.  I also treat the gas with stabil or equivalent.  I bought a one year old ice auger from a guy and it's going to the shop this summer for a new diaphram and carb work as it's not running properly and I think that's the problem.  I have no idea what the other guy ran for fuel, but I'll bet it was ethanol. 

This is just some the things I've read on this subject......alot of it from these boards.  And if you do get break down of fuel lines etc. you have to empty and clean your tanks because you'll continue to suck the particles out of the fuel tank and into the motor..........so beware........

robbi

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 12:49 PM »
This site offers some good answers to alot of the questions about ethanol......here's just one of the articles on there.....

http://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=769

trackerg

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03 AM »
I talked with a local boat mechanic yesterday. He told me that Mercury motors are okay to handle up to 10% ethanol without any problems. Its true....some other older fuel lines arent designed to handle it but "most" from 90's to date should be equipped with ethanol friendly lines. He did recommend Startron additive to help disperse water and make the engine burn the fuel better. Another comment was that the ethanol didnt condensate as much here in our dry climate as much as back east in higher humidity.

He also gave me a website that listed non ethanol fuel stations by state.  www.pure-gas.org

robbi

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 09:08 AM »
That website is a great help........Thank You......saves alot of running around town looking at every pump......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.