FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Berkley NanoFil  (Read 7781 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Berkley NanoFil
« on: Mar 10, 2012, 10:54 PM »
Hi guys,
I know it's new on the market, but I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this line yet?

If so, how do you feel it holds up compared to regular braids?

Does it really cast as far as they clam?

Does it hod up to abrasions well, and have low memory on the spool?

I might give it a try this spring on one of my spinning reels, but though I would hear what you all though of it first. ;)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

rondog

Re: Berkley NanoFil
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2012, 05:31 AM »
I've used it on my jigging rods ice fishing ,as advertised it has no memory and doesn't freeze.I've also used it on my long rods and it does cast a little farther BUT if you don't get then knot right it breaks like sewing thread and it is not as strong as Fireline crystal of the same # test.I filled up 6 reels with it and when it's time to re-spool I won't buy it again

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2012, 07:52 AM »
I also ran it on my jigging rods this winter and it held up well and it has great sensitivity ! I use the Uni knots for for all my connections and had no trouble with it. I'll get a chance to try it on the soft water here in a few weeks for opening day of Salmon season and that should give me a good test of its soft water performance !

raate

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2012, 08:27 AM »
I have had some abrasion issues with it...Keep an eye out for frays, and retie often.  ;) Other than that, I like it!  ;D
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience!

rondog

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2012, 05:50 PM »
I tried the 4LB. test on my Walleye jigging rod today and can honestly say that I have never used such junk,I re checked my knots and they were done right but would break at the jig with little effort ,As I stated before I have 6 reels loaded up with it and it,s coming off tomorrow and going in the can.I will re spool with 4Lb. Fireline Crystal that was on my rods before I decided to switch.
DON't WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2012, 05:54 PM »
I tried the 4LB. test on my Walleye jigging rod today and can honestly say that I have never used such junk,I re checked my knots and they were done right but would break at the jig with little effort ,As I stated before I have 6 reels loaded up with it and it,s coming off tomorrow and going in the can.I will re spool with 4Lb. Fireline Crystal that was on my rods before I decided to switch.
DON't WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME
I used it ice fishing , had no problems . Today I used it for jigging eyes ..... complete junk  >:( I used 3 different knots and they all broke .

wiredstone

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2012, 06:33 PM »
I used it ice fishing , had no problems . Today I used it for jigging eyes ..... complete junk  >:( I used 3 different knots and they all broke .
I think it sucks too. I Took it off my ice rods and threw it away. :cursing:
wooo fish on. Never mind

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2012, 04:01 PM »
humm, not too good a reviews for the nanofil so-far.

Thanks for your input guys. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

threelungs

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2012, 04:17 PM »
Palomar knot is my prefer knot for nanofil or fireline, I don't have any problems with break offs. Something with the twist knots like the trilene knot causes breaks with these lines I have noticed.
"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." ~Yoda

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2012, 04:52 AM »
It has worked great for me on the open water so far with NO breaking or knot trouble and they're right, it out casts the power pro braid and the berkley mono that I'm use ! Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble with it, I really like it and will be using it as look as I can still find it !

filetandrelease

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2012, 08:00 PM »
Palomar knot is my prefer knot for nanofil or fireline, I don't have any problems with break offs. Something with the twist knots like the trilene knot causes breaks with these lines I have noticed.

don't know about nano but have used fire line for years ice and open water and i only use a preferred clinch and never a problem and eye fishing there isn't many guys that set a hook any harder , but i do have a spool of nano that i won't waste ,if it is knot worthy it's toast  , won't be the first or last line that i didn't like

Hookinup

• Bangin' bottom & gettin' bit !
« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2012, 08:24 PM »
I spooled up one of my walleye reels with 12 lb. nanofil a few weeks ago, hoping to try it out on the walleyes. I have been reading lots of reviews on it lately and I am convinced that it isn't what I thought it would be. I just finished taking it off without even giving it a try. Went back to power pro.
The guys that like it all say that you have to get the knot (double palomar) just right, or else it will cut into itself and cause break-offs. They also say it has a tendancy to frey, and you should re-tie often.
The other thing is that it isn't as strong as braid of the same pound test. It is a no-stretch line, but it's breaking strength closely matches the lb test rating, much the same way mono does.
I can't see it being any good to me for jigging the rock piles. I'm afraid the zebra mussels will eat it for lunch.

wiredstone

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2012, 07:54 AM »
Just got some Power pro slick 8. Going to give it a try next weekend for some eyes.
wooo fish on. Never mind

Hookinup

• Bangin' bottom & gettin' bit !
« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2012, 09:39 AM »
Just got some Power pro slick 8. Going to give it a try next weekend for some eyes.

The reviews on that are pretty good. I've been thinking about giving it a try too. I think it is made of the same material as the original pro, but the strands are more round.

wiredstone

« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2012, 03:28 PM »
I think you are right. It is smoother no dought. At $35.00 it should be good
wooo fish on. Never mind

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.