FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thinking about switching to fluorocarbon  (Read 4307 times)

Loudmouth879

Thinking about switching to fluorocarbon
« on: Jun 23, 2012, 09:06 AM »
So this year I kept with the same old technique with mono line but after fishing more areas with more underwater structure than what I have been fishing in the bast I am contemplating switching over to fluorocarbon line... I mainly fish for bass in the warm months but have started to target more walleyes and crappie... I know the benefit of the near invisibility of the fluorocarbon lines just wondering how many of you guys out that use fluorocarbon, some of the benefits you have experiences, and what is a good brand to buy...

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Thinking about switching to fluorocarbon
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2012, 09:47 AM »
All I use is the Bass Pro Shops XPS fluro....    Seems to out fish my buddys who use just mono....  It sinks well and works great with crank baits.....  Half way through the season I will run all the line out in the yard and spool it on backwards and get a full season out of it..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fontona19

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Every type of line has its place.

I use flouro for most applications, but will switch to mono for topwater or when I want a bait to fall slow.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2012, 04:00 PM »
It has three major characteristics that sets it apart from mono and braid.

1) it sinks like a rock

2) it can become unwieldy in cold weather

3) knot strength can be VERY poor if you aren't careful. 

The first characteristic is really good for some applications, but will mess with you really bad if you are fishing top water or bobbers. Number two is self explanatory. Number three... learn to tie a perfect palomar knot and spit on it before you pull it tight and you will be fine. Just like braid and mono, it has its place but it isn't the universal answer to anything.

Loudmouth879

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2012, 06:31 PM »
fontona - I am keeping mono for topwater on one pole and skipper I know the characteristics was just looking for people's experience with it and some good brands....

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2012, 06:44 PM »
My best experiences have been with P-lines offerings. Fluroclear being my favorite.

fontona19

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2012, 08:16 PM »
I am going to agree with skipper for your wallets sake, but Seaguar really makes the very best flouro in my opinion.

TheDL

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2012, 07:39 AM »
I don't like flouro as a main line at all, I find it's not very manageable, especially on a spinning reel.  Seems to jump off the spool easily.  I don't really see the benefit in a main line flouro, other than the sinking factor which I don't really need.  I mostly use braid, and attach a flouro leader where finesse and water clarity dictate.  I agree with Skipper, flouro know strength isnt' great....you really need to wet and SLOWLY cinch down your knots.  It is also much more abrasion resistant than braid.  As for brands, I too like the seaguar invisx.  Pline-Flouroclear is good too, but I think it's technically not 100% flouro, it's a co-polymer.  Don't buy Berkley Vanish, it sucks and breaks easily.
tight lines....

OTIS

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2012, 08:11 AM »
I mostly target walleye, however it's not uncommon for me to fish for whatever is biting once I've filled my limit.  All of my rods with any line other than Trilene-XL (Sufix 832, FireLine, PowerPro, etc...) have a fluorocarbon leader.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

wileyc3

• Here fishy fishy fishy...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2012, 09:03 AM »
I tried using floro for a year (used pline halo and BPS XPs) and wasnt happy with it. the biggest issue I had was like DL said it kept tryin to come off spinning reals. I use the pline floroclear on my baitcasters for cranks, sb's, ext. that stuff works sweet on them. On my spinning though i like the the Suffix braid in the 6lb dia./ 10lb. size and run a 3'-4' floro leader if need be for clear water ( the stuff that I had spooled up.....to expensive to just throw away). I did however notice that with the smaller dia. lines in the floro the knots were easier to tie with out issues.

Loudmouth879

« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:24 PM »
so went with the Pline fluorclear... spooled my panfish rod with 4# and my other rods with 10# will be testing them out tomorrow on the lake thanks for everyones input and suggestions!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.