FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thinking of purchasing a fishfinder  (Read 5394 times)

Fisher84

Thinking of purchasing a fishfinder
« on: Aug 22, 2012, 12:00 AM »
I fish from shore in the St. Joseph River in northern Indiana. As I'm disabled, I'm not able to see where the fish are quite as easily. I know that the water is typically shallow where I fish (typically 5-15 ft deep) so I wasn't sure if using a fishfinder would help. What do you all think? Yes, I am relatively new to fishing.
If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving.

There are no fish in this river.... wait! what the.... I got one!!!

phishinphool

Re: Thinking of purchasing a fishfinder
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2012, 11:43 AM »
Not sure if it would help being a river or not, not sure how strong the current is... but I might have the answer if you wanted to try.  It is called a Humminbird Smartcast Fish Finder.  It is a Remote Sensor that you can toss out with a fishing pole and it reads Temperature, Depth and any Fish in the area back to a Fish Finder that you strap on your wrist like a watch, pretty nifty.  I bouth one the other day, still waiting for it to arrive and can't wait to try it out... $72 @ Amazon.com.  When I receive it sometime next week, I will deffinately let you know the results.  But... I am fishing a lake/resevoir?  But the neat thing is, is it also acts like a bobber and you can fish right from under it... so I bet if you knew the depth you could just rig a sinker to the depth of the fishing area and the Remote Sensor would hold tight while you fish the area.  Hope this helped and best of luck fishing sir!

Fisher84

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2012, 01:09 PM »
It sounds like a wonderful solution... but to other fishing spots I go to. Unfortunately, the current is to swift in that river for most if not all fish finders I have looked at unless I use a really heavy sinker to anchor it in place. But for the two lakes I also fish this might work well. I hope you have success with yours. Thanks for the info.
If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving.

There are no fish in this river.... wait! what the.... I got one!!!

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Not sure if it would help being a river or not, not sure how strong the current is... but I might have the answer if you wanted to try.  It is called a Humminbird Smartcast Fish Finder.  It is a Remote Sensor that you can toss out with a fishing pole and it reads Temperature, Depth and any Fish in the area back to a Fish Finder that you strap on your wrist like a watch, pretty nifty.  I bouth one the other day, still waiting for it to arrive and can't wait to try it out... $72 @ Amazon.com.  When I receive it sometime next week, I will deffinately let you know the results.  But... I am fishing a lake/resevoir?  But the neat thing is, is it also acts like a bobber and you can fish right from under it... so I bet if you knew the depth you could just rig a sinker to the depth of the fishing area and the Remote Sensor would hold tight while you fish the area.  Hope this helped and best of luck fishing sir!
RIGHT ON, THIS THING WORKS GREAT,i use it for open water and ice, what i found is you need to make some kind of a map of
the lake/and where you are fishing,i have found this helps find the channels,holes,stumps,big rocks,springs.WHAT A HELP,
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

doitnow

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2012, 08:54 PM »
It sounds like a wonderful solution... but to other fishing spots I go to. Unfortunately, the current is to swift in that river for most if not all fish finders I have looked at unless I use a really heavy sinker to anchor it in place. But for the two lakes I also fish this might work well. I hope you have success with yours. Thanks for the info.

You cast it up stream and let it drift down,just like you were in moving boat.
Repeat at different distances until you you find fish.
It works good.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2012, 03:03 PM »
LIKE I STATED, THIS THING WORKS GREAT,TRY  IT BEFORE YOU GET IT
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com