FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Merrimack River - Riverside Ramp  (Read 2218 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Merrimack River - Riverside Ramp
« on: Jul 02, 2019, 02:38 PM »
Hey all. Just wondering if anyone has any Intel for this area as far as areas to avoid with a bass boat. I will be fishing this area for the first time for bass so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Merrimack River - Riverside Ramp
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2019, 09:10 AM »
Well, caught about 40 bass but nothing crazy big. I'd say 30 of them were smallmouth with the biggest going 3lbs exactly. I also pulled out about a dozen slab crappy hitting the 2lb mark and also about 4 pike. Largest about 10lbs. Interesting fishery but not sure I would fish it again if I had other options.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Sounds like a productive outing! 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Sounds like a productive outing!

Not bad since I had zero knowledge about the place but it did not fish as well as I heard it could. It fishes very similar to a river right near my house. Very similar.
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2019, 11:27 AM »
And quite the variety of species!

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2019, 12:25 PM »
Not bad since I had zero knowledge about the place but it did not fish as well as I heard it could. It fishes very similar to a river right near my house. Very similar.

40 fish day is nothing to shake a stick at.  Were they mostly dinks?  Curious why you wouldn't go back when you can get numbers and variety.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2019, 02:18 PM »
40 fish day is nothing to shake a stick at.  Were they mostly dinks?  Curious why you wouldn't go back when you can get numbers and variety.

Because they were all dinks. Its almost 1.5 hours for me through boston. I have far better options towards the cape or around me in general. I am not hating on the place at all, but it just was not what I was hoping for. Love exploring new places but the ramp situation did not help the cause either with all of the rookie jet skiers. Oh, and the privileged people yelling because I was casting towards their cement wall and dock.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Because they were all dinks. Its almost 1.5 hours for me through boston. I have far better options towards the cape or around me in general. I am not hating on the place at all, but it just was not what I was hoping for. Love exploring new places but the ramp situation did not help the cause either with all of the rookie jet skiers. Oh, and the privileged people yelling because I was casting towards their cement wall and dock.

Sounds about right for that area.  Didn't realize it was such of a haul.  It'd have to be really good to make that trip consistently.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2019, 04:02 PM »
You got it! Not worth the 3 hour ride. 5 minutes and I have a similar fishery.
Wicked Wec

Knot there yet

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2019, 08:30 PM »
try dead horse saloon ramp next time

Roccus

« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2019, 06:35 AM »
You got it! Not worth the 3 hour ride. 5 minutes and I have a similar fishery.

it'll be worth it if you get a 20+ lb pike.. plenty of them there.. big carp too, I've personally got them to 35lbs..
there are occasional walleyes as well, they tend to be in the faster water close to the dam in Lowell.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2019, 06:53 AM »
it'll be worth it if you get a 20+ lb pike.. plenty of them there.. big carp too, I've personally got them to 35lbs..
there are occasional walleyes as well, they tend to be in the faster water close to the dam in Lowell.

You just signed me up.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2019, 08:46 AM »
Joe, I must have seen about 50 carp, 30 of which were all schooled up in one spot and biggest was over 30lbs. The bait balls I saw were unreal as well. 

I live a stone throw away from the Blackstone river. I have caught more Common carp over 30 lbs than I can count on two hands but this was before I even had a camera phone. I do have a few pictures somewhere that I will try to find. They are still there i see them all the time when I kayak with my buddies. Pike, same thing. The largemouth bass fishing is great especially with a jig which I love. Its also a gem for smallies  ;). It also gets stocked with trout but that's just food for the pike and bass. Mirror carp are also there if you know where to look. People hate on the Blackstone river but it has come a long way since the mill days and the fishing and wildlife in general is something to see!

I did count about 10 dead catfish as well as 2 dead eels on the Merrimack.

I think its time to catch a pig carp so I have an easily accessible photo. LOL
Wicked Wec

bogtrotter

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2019, 03:16 PM »
There's a gent (who goes by "Smoothdrag" a/k/a Norm) on the "other" site (MAAnglers) who fishes the Merrimack a lot and does quite well - - particularly for catfish, carp and bass.

You might want to check out that site.

deerhunter

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2019, 07:08 AM »
that's norm and he does it from a wheelchair

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.