FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye Draw  (Read 3051 times)

Pigshanks

• Who stopped payment on my reality check?
Walleye Draw
« on: Mar 16, 2007, 08:47 AM »
Talk about a money grab. It's bad enough you need to be drawn to keep a walleye in selected waters, but now you gotta pay through the nose for the phone call to get entered.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fw/fishing/pdf/FishDrawsBrochure2007.pdf

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
Re: Walleye Draw
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2007, 02:25 PM »
thats unfortunate because it probably keeps some people from trying the sport and maybe liking it. IM sure no noobies want to cough over money and hope they get drawn to try and fish

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Pigshanks

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2007, 05:48 PM »
thats unfortunate because it probably keeps some people from trying the sport and maybe liking it. IM sure no noobies want to cough over money and hope they get drawn to try and fish

It is really only 3 or 4 lakes in th Province, and there are numerous places that one can fish for eyes under the general regs. What gets me is the 1-900 number and the prices just to listen to the government crap about the draw system. A mail in or on line form would have accomplished the same thing. Oh well!!! Where I fish I am only bound by the general regs, but I can see a day when this is the norm and not the exception.

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

wildman

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2007, 01:45 PM »
ok.
i think everyone knows my stance on this.
allow me to expand on the reasoning...
generally most people in favor of the draw are very well-to-do with lots of money to put into hobbies and sports and that's cool....nothing more fun than a state of the art boat, truck, camper, fishing gear, sonar, etc., etc., etc...
i come from a BIG family. 6 siblings. as kids, the only thing my parents could afford to do for holidays was go fishing. back then camping was $3/night, etc., etc.
currently i know many young families with a few kids that fight to make ends meet and so on.
today gas is +0.99/L in the summer, camping averages $15-25/night, many places charge for wood, boat launch use, and gear and supplies aren't exactly cheap.
right now there is no problem picking spots where you can keep a few fish, teach kids responsible harvest, cook fresh fish on an open fire, etc. all part of the whole great outdoors experience, IMHO!!!!
when (not IF but WHEN) this draw concept explodes and increases in price, and it WILL, it'll be another expence to tack on.
i don't know about you, but i for one would hate to see the great tradition of fishing turn into another elitist sport like golf.
thanks for letting me vent.
cheers,  gw

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2007, 02:26 PM »

but i for one would hate to see the great tradition of fishing turn into another elitist sport like golf.

Guess you haven't seen me golf!!! ;)
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2007, 02:27 PM »
I'm not sure what to think about this draw. I was thinking about doing it last year, but ended up not even bothering.

This will most likely end up being the case as well for this year.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Pigshanks

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2007, 03:39 PM »
ok.
i think everyone knows my stance on this.
allow me to expand on the reasoning...
generally most people in favor of the draw are very well-to-do with lots of money to put into hobbies and sports and that's cool....nothing more fun than a state of the art boat, truck, camper, fishing gear, sonar, etc., etc., etc...
i come from a BIG family. 6 siblings. as kids, the only thing my parents could afford to do for holidays was go fishing. back then camping was $3/night, etc., etc.
currently i know many young families with a few kids that fight to make ends meet and so on.
today gas is +0.99/L in the summer, camping averages $15-25/night, many places charge for wood, boat launch use, and gear and supplies aren't exactly cheap.
right now there is no problem picking spots where you can keep a few fish, teach kids responsible harvest, cook fresh fish on an open fire, etc. all part of the whole great outdoors experience, IMHO!!!!
when (not IF but WHEN) this draw concept explodes and increases in price, and it WILL, it'll be another expence to tack on.
i don't know about you, but i for one would hate to see the great tradition of fishing turn into another elitist sport like golf.
thanks for letting me vent.
cheers,  gw

I hear what your saying. I stay away from the campgrounds and the boat launches that charge an arm and a leg. And I will not by into the draw system. Bad enough you have to fork over $8 for the privelage to buy your fishing license.

Pigshanks

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2007, 03:41 PM »
I'm not sure what to think about this draw. I was thinking about doing it last year, but ended up not even bothering.

This will most likely end up being the case as well for this year.

And there is plenty of other waters that hold walleye that one can fish with just the general license.

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2007, 03:45 PM »
And there is plenty of other waters that hold walleye that one can fish with just the general license.

Ones that you can keep Walleye and not have to pay for as well. Might be some driving, but well worth it in MHO.

littleoldlady

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2007, 09:41 AM »
The entire process looks ludicrous!!  I also live in fear for the day that the same thing is applied to lake trout from Cold Lake!!  At which
point I think I might move across the border to Saskatchewan!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.