FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ROUND 2 OF THE NHL PLAYOFFS  (Read 30556 times)

The Splash

Re: ROUND 2 OF THE NHL PLAYOFFS
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Splash... Break that post down a bit... I just woke up tired as hell and aint reading all that,,, Hell i aint read that much in one time in FOREVER.
Probably over your head anyway.  :laugh:

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 08:30 PM »
that dont take much splash... Im a simple guy.
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

The Splash

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 12:38 AM »
 What, everybody sooooooooooooooooo  quiet after the wings LOSE? Boston too?
I feel let down. I started feeling sick lastnight at work, got home about 5:30am and right to sleep. I was up for awhile today and wrote that post about Ovie acting like an idiot and Crosby calling him out. I thought FOR SURE I would get some replies on that???????   
 Don't tell me you all agree? Even Kyle? Slept most of the day, missed the entire game and now up with my head pounding and I must say- THANK GOD FOR IMMODIUM AD!   Not swine flu so don't even try. Took the night off of work tonight. Hope I feel better tomorrow? I hate being sick when it's nice outside!
          GO PENS!

Pajns

• Ya just GOTTA Love it!!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 12:43 AM »
Take care of YOU Splash!!!!    Gotta have ya healthy for the rest of the Pens series.... ;D
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught......JUST remember them being BIGGER!!

The Splash

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 12:48 AM »
Take care of YOU Splash!!!!    Gotta have ya healthy for the rest of the Pens series.... ;D
Don't worry buddy, I'll still be here taking abuse and lighting a fire under thier arses! A little sickness won't keep me down! I think I was 13 or 14 when the Rangers and Pens went many overtimes in the early 90's. I spent that morning in a dentist chair getting my jaw wired shut after having it broke in the state finals of a summer travel roller hockey league, still stayed up the whole night watching the game in a trailor up north and still made it fishing the next day!

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2009, 04:22 AM »
nope i dont agree with you i dont think......... I didnt read your post yet, but chances are i dont agree with ya! ;D  U got swine flu dont ya??
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

The Splash

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 05:32 AM »
You never let me down do ya. Read it and for one second forget Crosby called Ovie out. Just read the facts I stated and tell us what ya think.
 If its swine flu I'll bottle it up and bring it to ya next month.

crosscobra

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 05:08 PM »
been fishing too much... burnt to a crisp

The Splash

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 05:18 PM »
been fishing too much... burnt to a crisp
Do any good?

crosscobra

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 05:35 PM »
Do any good?
limit of gills yesterday, about 50 8" browns today

Adam Bomb

• Avid Walleye Fisherman
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Ive been away for a few days, so no comments on the Wings or the Ovechkin celebrations.

Ill start with the Wings, theyre in a dog fight with a very good team. Anyone that thinks theyre gonna walk over them is only kidding themselves. This thing is going 6 or 7 if both teams show up every night. Wings need to limit the Getzlaf line more, as it has dictated play EVERYTIME its on the ice. Getzlaf alone has 5 points in two games against us!!! We also need our top players, Hossa, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Holmstrom to start putting some rubber IN the net. If they can do that, i think the series will begin to swing in our favor. Our best players have to be our best players. Theyre a HUGE part of what got us where we are right now. We could also use Rafalski and Draper back. Both excellent all around players and great special teams guys. No doubt Rafalski will help clear our own zone and help put pucks behind Hiller....And everyone knows what Drapes brings to the table, tenacious forechecking, great defence and PK, along with taking key face offs. We need these guys back NOW!!!

All that aside, i think our club has played pretty well, and Osgood has been spectacular. I dont know if he was screened on the OT winner or not, i dont believe he was, and felt it was a puck he should have stopped. Tough to say sitting here though. Guys been stellar though. Its only one game and our first loss. We have to put it behind us and move forward...We can take allot of good from this game. Im also pleased with the play of our young guys like Helm and Ericcson. Those guys have brought allot to the table in every game. Great options to have for an already deep team.

As far as the Ovechkin celebrations, i dont like them either. Call me old fashioned, Im 27, but that stuff just doesnt belong in hockey. Hockey has a long standing tradition of respect and honor and i would hate to see it tarnished with these B.S. celebrations. Nothing worse than rubbing something in someones face. I find it extremely disrespectful, not only in sports, but everyday life. So, no i dont like it, and i think he should save stuff like that for practice, All Star games or other NHL events....That aside, the guy is a great player, no denying that. Very gifted scorer and physical presence...Had a great game against the Pens tonight racking up a hat trick in a 4-3 win to put the Caps up 2-0 in the series. I expect the Pens to storm back in game 3. Crosby had a great game too, too bad the rest of the team couldnt give him a hand on the score board.

So, since i was away, ill leave my predictions now. The second round has some great match ups, some of the best in years...Should be exciting to watch.

West
Anahiem vs Detroit-Detroit in 6 or 7
Chicago vs Vancouver-Chicago in 6

East
Pittsburgh vs Washington-Pitsburgh in 6 or 7
Carolina vs Boston-Carolina in 6

Keep The Fish Pump Runin'!!!
Adam

The Splash

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 11:24 AM »
 I managed to watch the 1st period lastnight before falling asleep. The Pens by far outplayed the caps in the 1st. What happened? I sure wish Malkin would get his head out of his rear and do something! Anybody gonna help Crosby? Oh, and can Fleury ever not give a rebound? That kid playing goal for the caps has been unbelievable!
 I'm starting to get a little depressed now :-\

The Splash

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 11:27 AM »
  Hey Bomb, is there still a rule on the curve of the blade in the NHL? If it's the same as it used to be I KNOW Ovechkin's is illegal just from what I can see on tv.

Adam Bomb

• Avid Walleye Fisherman
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 02:20 PM »
As far as i know that rule is still in place. Ill do a search and see what i can come up with. Ive definitely seen it called before in the playoffs.
Adam

Adam Bomb

• Avid Walleye Fisherman
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 02:26 PM »
The rule is still in place. Was increased from 1/2" to 3/4" curve in 2006 from what i gather.

NHL Official Rules
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=27011
Rule 10-Sticks

10.1 Player’s Stick - The sticks shall be made of wood or other material approved by the League, and must not have any projections. Adhesive tape of any color may be wrapped around the stick at any place for the purpose of reinforcement or to improve control of the puck.

No stick shall exceed sixty-three inches (63") in length from the heel to the end of the shaft nor more than twelve and one-half inches (121/2") from the heel to the end of the blade.

Requests for an exception to the length of the shaft (only) may be submitted in writing to and must be approved by the League’s Hockey Operations Department prior to any such stick being approved for use. Maximum length of a stick granted an exception under this rule is sixty-five inches (65”).

The blade of the stick shall not be more than three inches (3") in width at any point between the heel and ½” in from the mid-point of the tip of the blade, nor less than two inches (2"). All edges of the blade shall be beveled (see 9.6). The curvature of the blade of the stick shall be restricted in such a way that the distance of a perpendicular line measured from a straight line drawn from any point at the heel to the end of the blade to the point of maximum curvature shall not exceed three-quarters of an inch (3/4").

+ Click for larger diagram

10.2 Goalkeeper’s Stick - In the case of a goalkeeper’s stick, there shall be a knob of white tape or some other protective material approved by the League. This knob must not be less than one-half inch (1/2'') thick at the top of the shaft.

Failure to comply with this provision of the rule will result in the goalkeeper’s stick being deemed unfit for play. The goalkeeper’s stick must be changed without the application of a minor penalty.

The blade of the goalkeeper’s stick shall not exceed three and one-half inches (3 1/2'') in width at any point except at the heel, where it must not exceed four and one-half inches (4 1/2'') in width; nor shall the goalkeeper’s stick exceed fifteen and one-half inches (15 1/2'') in length from the heel to the end of the blade.

There is to be no measurement of any of the dimensions of the goalkeeper’s stick during the course of the game.  The League’s Hockey Operations Department is specifically authorized to make a check of all goalkeepers’ sticks to ensure the compliance with the rule. It shall report its findings to the Commissioner for his disciplinary action (see 11.8).

The widened portion of the goalkeeper’s stick extending up the shaft from the blade shall not extend more than twenty-six inches (26'') from the heel and shall not exceed three and one-half inches (3 1/2'') in width.

+ Click for larger diagram

10.3 Broken Stick – Player - A broken stick is one which, in the opinion of the Referee, is unfit for normal play.

A player without a stick may participate in the game. A player whose stick is broken may participate in the game provided he drops the broken stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this rule.

A player who has lost or broken his stick may only receive a stick at his own players’ bench or be handed one from a teammate on the ice. A player may not participate in the play using a goalkeeper’s stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this rule.

A player tendered a stick thrown on the ice from the players’ or penalty bench will not receive a penalty. However, the person responsible for throwing the stick will receive a bench minorpenalty.

10.4 Broken Stick – Goalkeeper - A goalkeeper may continue to play with a broken stick until a stoppage of play or until he has one legally handed to him by a teammate. The teammate must hand the stick to him. He cannot throw it or slide it to the goalkeeper (this includes situations where the goalkeeper has lost his stick and a teammate is trying to return it to him). For a violation of this rule, a minor penalty for throwing the stick shall be assessed to the offending player (no penalty to the goalkeeper for receiving the stick).

A goalkeeper whose stick is broken or illegal may not go to the players’ bench for a replacement but must receive his stick from a teammate.  A goalkeeper may participate in the play using a player’s stick until such time as he is legally provided with a replacement goalkeeper’s stick.

For an infraction of this rule, a minor penalty shall be imposed on the goalkeeper.

10.5 Stick Measurement - A request for a stick measurement shall be limited to one request per team during the course of any stoppage in play.

When a formal complaint is made by the Captain or Alternate Captain of a team, against the dimensions of any stickof an opponent, that opponent must be on the ice at the time the request is made to the Referee. Once the request is made, and as long as the Officials maintain visual contact with the stick, it can be measured. This means that if the player whose stick is about to be measured steps off the ice onto his players’ bench, his stick may still be measured provided the request was received prior to him leaving the ice surface and the stick remains in the view of at least one of the on-ice Officials.

The Referee shall take the stick to the penalty bench where the necessary measurement shall be made immediately. Players on both teams shall retire to their respective benches. To measure the curvature of the blade of the stick, the Referee must draw an imaginary line along the outside of the shaft to the bottom of the blade and then along the bottom of the blade - this will determine the location of the heel. Using a League-approved measuring gauge, the Referee shall secure the gauge at the heel of the stick and measure the curvature of the blade from the heel to any point along the toe of the blade. To measure any other dimension of the stick, the Referee shall use a measuring tape.

The result shall be reported to the Penalty Timekeeper, who shall record it on the back of the Penalty Record form. The Referee will convey the result of the measurement to Captain or Alternate Captain of the player whose stick was measured. If the stick proves to be illegal, the stick shall remain at the penalty bench until the end of the game.

A player whose stick has been measured and it is found not to conform to the provisions of this rule shall be assessed a minor penalty and a fine of two hundred dollars ($200). For a second offense in the same season, the player shall (in addition to the minor penalty) be fined one thousand dollars ($1000). For a third offense in the same season, the player shall (in addition to the minor penalty) be assessed a game misconduct and an automatic one game suspension. For all additional violations in the same season, the automatic suspension to the player shall (in addition to the minor penalty and game misconduct assessed during the game) double for each subsequent violation of this rule (i.e. first suspension - one game, second suspension - two games, third suspension – four games etc.)

If the complaint is not sustained, a bench minor penalty shall be imposed against the complaining Club in addition to a fine of one hundred dollars ($100).

A player who participates in the play, who checks or who intentionally prevents the movement of an opponent, or who intentionally plays the puck while carrying two sticks (including while taking a replacement stick to his goalkeeper) shall incur a minor penalty under this rule but the automatic fine of two hundred dollars ($200) shall not be imposed. If his participation causes a foul resulting in a penalty, the Referee shall report the incident to the Commissioner for disciplinary action.

A request for a stick measurement in regular playing time is permitted, including after the scoring of a goal, however, a goal cannot be disallowed as a result of the measurement. A request for a stick measurement following a goal in overtime (including one scored on a penalty shot in overtime) is not permitted. Stick measurements prior to or during the shootout are permitted, subject to the guidelines outlined in 10.7.

Any player or goalkeeper who deliberately breaks his stick or who refuses to surrender his stick for measurement when requested to do so by the Referee shall be assessed a minor penalty plus a ten-minute (10) misconduct. In addition, this player or goalkeeper shall be subject to a two hundred dollar ($200) fine.

If, after a player’s stick has been ruled illegal, he attempts to take a penalty shot with a second stick that is also ruled illegal prior to taking the penalty shot, the opportunity to take the penalty shot shall be disallowed. The player shall be assessed one minor penalty for the first illegal stick.

10.6 Stick Measurement – Prior to Penalty Shot – A stick measurement request may be made prior to a penalty shot following the guidelines below:

First Stick

If the stick is “legal” the complaining Club is assessed a bench minor penalty, a player is placed in the penalty box immediately. Regardless as to the result of the penalty shot, the bench minor penalty is assessed and served.

If the stick is “illegal” the player will be assessed a minor penalty. He will be ordered to obtain a new (second) stick prior to the penalty shot. After he takes the shot he will be required to serve his penalty.

Second stick

The player will be told that the second stick will be measured prior to the penalty shot to verify the legality of the stick.

If the second stick is “legal”, proceed with the penalty shot.

If second stick is “illegal”, disallow the opportunity for the penalty shot and assess one minor penalty for the first illegal stick.

If the player refuses to surrender his stick for measurement prior to the penalty shot, the penalty shot shall not be permitted and the player shall be assessed a misconduct penalty.

10.7 Stick Measurement – Prior to Shootout Attempt – A stick measurement request must be made prior to the Referee blowing his whistle to begin the shootout attempt.

If the stick is “legal” the complaining Club forfeits their next shootout attempt. In addition, the complaining Club’s Coach shall be fined one thousand dollars ($1000) and the Club shall be fined five thousand dollars ($5000). Should this occur during the first set of three shooters, the next shooter listed becomes ineligible to shoot until such time as all eligible players have participated in the shootout. Their next shootout attempt would be recorded as “no goal”.

If the stick is “illegal”, the offending team forfeits that shootout attempt by that player, and the player becomes ineligible to participate in the shootout. In addition, the player is fined one thousand dollars ($1000) and his Club is fined five thousand dollars ($5000). This shootout attempt would be recorded as “no goal”.

Stick measurement violations during the shootout shall not be subject to the fines and suspensions outlined in 10.5.
Adam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.