FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Little Sodus Bay Walleye?  (Read 6756 times)

mdm25549

Re: Little Sodus Bay Walleye?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2019, 07:10 PM »
I 100% agree the big Ontario eyes don’t taste very good. I’ve only kept a couple due to a bad hook down the throat or something like that. Usually I don’t keep anything over 22” for eating. One thing that I don’t think compares and what constantly draws me to the Ontario eyes and is their fight and their size. Oneida eyes taste excellent and it’s a fun fishery for sure I make many trips there myself but they just don’t do much for me compared to Ontario and st Lawrence eyes size and fight

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2019, 07:52 PM »

Catching 10-12# Ontario eyes through the ice aren’t much of a fight , compared to a 5 lb laker or a 4 # LL

Bosco

« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2019, 08:36 PM »
So for a little context (from the fella that started this thread and hopefully not an online dust-up) I live a mile from Irondequoit Bay. I can pull out of my garage, launch, and have a line in the water in 15 minutes (literally) so the Oneida point is moot for me. I've been there a handful of times over the years and caught at least 1 eye every time. Definitely an awesome Walleye lake. Not an issue or even debatable. For me, convenience and proximity wins out over catching fish that are even MORE excellent tasting than the already excellent tasting fish on my doorstep. I fish Perch on I-Bay from October through May and, I agree that they taste even better than Walleye. However, Walleye are a much greater challenge for me and they're the best tasting of the game fish (as opposed to panfish) in my opinion. So as all of that relates to my original post about Little Sodus Bay Walleye, I want the challenge of targeting eyes on a body of water brand new to me. I will, however, keep and thoroughly enjoy any Perch I should happen to incidentally catch while targeting eyes. I'll be at Little Sodus because of a family and friends arranged getaway. Were it strickly a fishing vacation I'd choose Oneida, hands down (or maybe a Quebec fly-in trip). And lastly, thanks for all of the input from everybody. WHEW!!

jperch

« Reply #18 on: Jul 21, 2019, 09:25 PM »
No real dust up Bosco, all in fun really.  Little Sodus (or Fair Haven Bay) is an interesting body of water.  Much of it has a depth in excess of 30 feet and the water seems relatively clean.  My brother fishes I-Bay regularly for walleye and does well.  I don't know why Little Sodus could not be as good a walleye fishery.  There seems to be a good forage base.  Maybe it does not have what walleye require for natural reproduction.  On the other hand both I-Bay and Little Sodus seem to primarily have a silty bottom.  I am not sure if the DEC has attempted walleye stocking there as they have done in I-Bay.  In any case good luck to you and let us know how you make out.

Bosco

« Reply #19 on: Jul 21, 2019, 09:51 PM »
Thanks man. And you're right about the stocking. I-Bay benefits tremendously from bi-annual Walleye stocking. DEC website is pretty transparent in that regard. They mention nothing about Walleye being in Little Sodus or stocking. It looks like they're using that Bay as a Chinook stocking release point. Anyways...it's fun to banter and I'll be taking a stab at it just the same. Worse that could happen is I catch other species in search of a fish that just may not be there in any significant numbers.

WalleyeWonder

« Reply #20 on: Jul 22, 2019, 04:49 AM »
I have had many walleyes from both Oneida and Ontario, some sizable ones too, up to 23'' and they are equally as delicious. Just more consistent fishing on Oneida.
Jiggin' Like A Fool

reeleyz

« Reply #21 on: Jul 22, 2019, 11:46 AM »
I have eaten eyes up to 27" out of the SLR and I really didn't notice a difference, other than the fillets are so thick I cut them in half horizontally!

Bosco

« Reply #22 on: Jul 22, 2019, 11:54 AM »
If my fridge is empty and I've been on a losing streak I'll keep a bigger eye or two as well. No issues whatsoever. Tastes fine. But this time of year when I'm fairly confident I can get 5 to 10 fish in a night, I'll opt for keeping the smaller ones. Not just for taste but also for throwing back the larger breeders. I don't think natural reproduction in I-Bay is particularly successful but I'd still rather not actively work against that potential.

Mac Attack

« Reply #23 on: Jul 22, 2019, 01:47 PM »
Bleed them, get them on ice, and trim them good when cleaning and the 10+ eyes eat just like a small one.
And as reeleyz said, cut the pcs smaller so the oil temp doesn't plummet when frying them.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #24 on: Jul 22, 2019, 02:35 PM »
 :rotflol: :rotflol: I don't think so
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

reeleyz

« Reply #25 on: Jul 22, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Yes trim them for sure! I even trim the small ones by taking out that blood line on the tail.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #26 on: Jul 22, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Yes trim them for sure! I even trim the small ones by taking out that blood line on the tail.

We just cut the throats once we are limited and headed in by the time we get to shore all bleed nice clean fillets then

Bosco

« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2019, 05:00 PM »
That's what I do too. I keep them alive in the livewell and then before I head in I cut their throats, let them bleed in the livewell for a few minutes, and the motor off. The livewell drains all the blood water out. When I get to the dock it fills up again. When I pull out the livewell drains again leaving it nice and rinsed out. 2 minute drive home and on the cutting board. I trim all the fat and remove the lateral line like Mac Attack said and all is well in Walleye World.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #28 on: Jul 22, 2019, 05:17 PM »
That's what I do too. I keep them alive in the livewell and then before I head in I cut their throats, let them bleed in the livewell for a few minutes, and the motor off. The livewell drains all the blood water out. When I get to the dock it fills up again. When I pull out the livewell drains again leaving it nice and rinsed out. 2 minute drive home and on the cutting board. I trim all the fat and remove the lateral line like Mac Attack said and all is well in Walleye World.

We never did it up til a couple years ago now I will never not do it

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #29 on: Jul 22, 2019, 06:17 PM »
if you have to go threw all that trouble let them go and go catch a perch or blue gill  :rotflol: ya all crack me up
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.