FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Back From UP  (Read 1464 times)

Teacherpreacher

Back From UP
« on: Jul 17, 2022, 09:09 AM »
Thankfully made it back from the UP safe and sound yesterday. Left at 5:30am and drove in thick fog for two hours. Made good time until Torrence Ave in IL on I94, stalled vehicle in passing lane. West bound lane backed up from construction or something for ten miles, at a stand still. Still drove it in 6 hours pulling boat, 400 miles.
Had a fantastic two weeks!!!! Weather was totally PERFECT!!! 44 to 60 degrees at night, 70's to 80 during day with VERY Low humidity. Light rain one evening,
Now the frustrating part. Fifth year in a row could not find the big female bluegills!!! Fished all the old spots, 16'- 20', NADA??? Males were still on the beds and about wore out the 5 wt fly rod. The MOP flies I tied up were not impressive. Caught some on them but lost a ton? There really liked the CK Nymphs I tied up.
Bass!!! Caught a ton! HotnTot as usual but they really hit anything on surface. Threw an old Heddon Chugger and they would just explode on it. And my Hair Frogs I tie up! Best on the fly was a 20" Smallmouth, right at 4 pounds in 3 ft of water. Hit like a ton of bricks, jumped 3 times and pounded until my wrist was crying "Uncle".
Thursday evening had my stepdaughter and 11 year old grandson out. Lake was flat and we all caught nice bass,. Then Grandpa had a huge hit on Chugger in rock pile and weed bed in middle of lake. 23" largemouth with a huge head. Pushing 6 lb! Beautiful fish!! After my open heart last August I was so thankful to be in God's Country again!!!
Will try to get photo up?
Teach

Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

abishop

Re: Back From UP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2022, 09:21 AM »
Glad you had a great trip and made it back home successfully. I too hate traffic. While driving the last few years on the road, guess that is why I hate road construction so much.

Daybreak

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2022, 11:20 AM »
Way to go Teach!  Loved the report and pictures.  Sorry to hear the Fortune Lake chain panfish have not yet rebounded.  Maybe someday.  That is still one of my most relaxing and beautiful fishing spots I have been to.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2022, 08:02 PM »
Glad you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing. I avoid Illinois driving if I can help it. What a scam those constant toll booths are too!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2022, 07:38 AM »
No more toll booths. IPass or pay on line. A bit expensive but what a time saver, excluding the never ending construct areas. Barring any accidents, traffic flows well. But, there is construction no matter where you travel.
Teach

abishop

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2022, 07:55 AM »
Yes, but only in the summer.

Hexagenia51

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2022, 05:57 PM »
Glad you had a good trip Teach! Nice looking fish, bet those smallies were fun on the fly rod. The wife and I made a trip to the cabin last week and I caught some nice browns. I’ll try to post a few pictures. Hex

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2022, 06:39 PM »
No more toll booths. IPass or pay on line. A bit expensive but what a time saver, excluding the never ending construct areas. Barring any accidents, traffic flows well. But, there is construction no matter where you travel.
Teach

We use an IPass too but you still have to slow down to go through them don't you? And they seem to be every few miles on some stretches!

Btw had a Michigan biologist blame Hoosiers for the dearth of big gills.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2022, 07:09 AM »
Taxid,
IPass is required. If you don't have one you just blow thru . It says to Use IPass or pay on line?? Not sure how that works? Me thinks there are a lot that don't pay? I read something not too long ago where there was a couple million dollars owed the state in unpaid fees. I pay the tolls from Indiana line to the Wisconsin line. I think there are 7 tolls.
They have removed all the toll booths.
Teach

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2022, 09:47 AM »
Taxid,
IPass is required. If you don't have one you just blow thru . It says to Use IPass or pay on line?? Not sure how that works? Me thinks there are a lot that don't pay? I read something not too long ago where there was a couple million dollars owed the state in unpaid fees. I pay the tolls from Indiana line to the Wisconsin line. I think there are 7 tolls.
They have removed all the toll booths.
Teach

They removed them?! Awesome!

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2022, 10:03 PM »
They send you a bill in the mail.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.