FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Alligator Gar  (Read 14133 times)

AirManCam

Alligator Gar
« on: Apr 24, 2005, 09:50 PM »
I found some information of these interesting fish..man do they look fun to catch! Heres some info and pictures..feel free to share anypics or info you have on them! http://www.earthwave.org/gar.htm ..theres a second page to that, click on more about alligator gar. And for some pics I found. This one was about 75lbs. And this one was around 130.
Iceshanty=AirManCam
MyhuntingForum=BigBuckTaker16

CarogaKid

• If the fish aren't Biting....Grab another Beer!!
Re: Alligator Gar
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Wow those gar are huge. I've caught some smaller ones in lake champlain, but nothing in comparison to those monsters.. They have some nasty teeth. I bet a fish of that size could realy do a number on a swimmer... :o

AirManCam

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2005, 07:52 AM »
Alligator gar arent in champlain I dont believe. I think their are regular gar, but not alligator.
Iceshanty=AirManCam

bottomfeeder

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2005, 08:15 AM »
When i was stationed in Kansas we use to catch them in the Topeka River.Some of them were four to five feet long,nothing as heavy as the two you have pictures of.They are a crazy fighting fish fun to catch.Most people would just throw them on the banks to die,they said they were garbage fish,really ticked me off,some of the people would get mad at me for letting them go.

Hood

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2005, 08:35 AM »
There are gar in Champlain, I believe Longnose gar, but not the gators, either way they are one badass fish. hey Caroga where in Champlain do they hang out (if you dont mind my asking)? Ive been here 4 years and have yet to catch one but would love to set into one. My buddy just got a boat so we can run around the lake now.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2005, 08:56 AM »
I believe they are mostly a southern fish and are not as far as Champlain.   
I cant believe they jsut threw them on the banks to die.   those things have to be pretty old to get that big.    IT ticks me off when people jsut toss fish on shore to die adn leave them there.     
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

CarogaKid

• If the fish aren't Biting....Grab another Beer!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2005, 09:10 AM »
There are gar in Champlain, I believe Longnose gar, but not the gators, either way they are one badass fish. hey Caroga where in Champlain do they hang out (if you dont mind my asking)? Ive been here 4 years and have yet to catch one but would love to set into one. My buddy just got a boat so we can run around the lake now.

We caught them in crown point, if you know where the public campsite is, and the old historical battlefield to the left. There is a long rock pier that comes out from the battlefield. I caught them from the end of that. I was casting dardevils. I don't know if they were alligator gar or something else. But they were deffinately gar.. Good luck and hope you catch a few..

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2005, 09:23 AM »
The ones in New York are Longnosed Gar, they grow to about 4 feet and maybe 20 pounds. I've caught them in Black Lake fishing for bass, they hit slow moving lures.

Better sport yet is bowfin, they're aren't very common, but if you can find them, don't go swimming, they're known to take chunks out of people! :o They are in Black Lake as well.

http://www.bowfinanglers.com/

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2005, 12:00 PM »
Now THOSE would be fun to bowfish!

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2005, 12:13 PM »
If you can pierce their hide! :o

PGKris

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2005, 12:37 PM »
Cut on contact would take those things easy. I wouldn't try it with an expandable unless you were doing more than 300fps.

Sailing team

AirManCam

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2005, 08:03 PM »
I think you better read the information about them, it says their skin is a tough/strong as armor.
Iceshanty=AirManCam

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2005, 08:05 PM »
I think you better read the information about them, it says their skin is a tough/strong as armor.

Ive seen video of people shooting an aligator with a bow, ifa tip can penetrate an aligator hide Im willing to bet it could penetrate through that gars skin, not that I would promote that though.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2005, 08:13 PM »
They shoot alligators in the neck, their skin isn't much tougher than cowhide there.

PGKris

« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2005, 10:49 AM »
Regardless......who's denying it would be a blast??

Sailing team

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.