FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Nemeiben Lake Trout  (Read 4874 times)

Porknbeans

Nemeiben Lake Trout
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:38 PM »
I am new to this forum and new to lake trout fishing.  We will be going to Nemeiben Lake, Sask. in early Aug.  I would appreciate any tips or advice on where or how to try fishing for lake trout on Nemeiben.  We have some Pink Ladies and limited experience using them.

We will be taking our own boat and have heard there can be lots of rock hazards....any information on this would be greatly appreciated.  Is there a map one can purchase with reliable hazard information?

Anyways, I'm glad I stumbled across this site and look forward to years of "fish stories".

Thx
Porknbeans

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
Re: Nemeiben Lake Trout
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:44 PM »
never fished sask,  but august can be a great month for reliable lake trout fishing in my experience,  there should be a good thermocline set up at the point in time and targeting fish at that depth will usually produce run lead core to get down to that depth,  fish a floro leader,  my leaders consist of 15 feet of 15 pound test to 15 feet of 8 pound test,  put a small barrel swivel about 5 feet up from the end and direct tie to your lures,  here in Maine the main forage is usually smelt so our lure patterns are intended to match and replicate smelt,  I would focus on attempting to match whatever the main forage feed in the lake is, when trolling these style lures target humps and drop offs,  the fish that are holding on this type of structure are actively feeding and pushing bait against the structure to help hold it,  if you happen to be fishing on one of those days the fish just aren't feeding switch over to a flatfish lure and drag it along bottom in 30-40 feet of water allowing it to hit bottom and stir up mud every few feet,  these lures have crazy action even at very slow trolling speeds and by dragging them through the mud they are very visible and can be sensed easy and the lakers that are holding bottom and not feeding will often hit one of these lures out of pure aggression.  Jigging with large spoons tipped with bait on the edge of bottom structure can also produce 

Porknbeans

Re: Nemeiben Lake Trout
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:52 PM »
Hey Litchfield,
Thanks very much for the advice.  I can't wait to fish this beautiful lake, and I will try some of your suggestions.  I am open to any and all suggestions. 
Thx again,
PorknBeans

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.