FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: casting vs spinning  (Read 1045 times)

thomp2

casting vs spinning
« on: Jun 15, 2011, 04:59 PM »
what's the difference between a surfcating rod and a surf spinning rod? i picked up a tsunami 10ft rod rated for 1-3 oz that has smaller eyes on it. how do i know if it's a spinning rod and what's the difference?

smitht7

Re: casting vs spinning
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2011, 05:59 PM »
A spinning rod has a spinning reel on it " the type where you flip the bail open". A casting rod has a bait casting reel on it " you push on a release lever and hold the spool with light pressure from your thumb". Also a spinning reel sits under the rod while a bait  caster sits on top of the rod. I seriously hope this helps.

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2011, 09:39 PM »
The easiest way to tell is to look at the guides, on a spinning reel the first guide is much larger than on a casting rod. When the line comes off a spinning reel it is in a "Looping Spiral", so the larger guide is needed to "Shrink" the spiraling line as it travels up the blank. The next guide is smaller and so on. A casting reel does not need the larger first few guides, the line is coming off the reel in a much more straight line.  Something to keep in mind is if you fish with mostly mono, you want the larger first guide (more common on older Surf Rods) because the mono comes off the reel in a much bigger "loop" ( it does not make the corner around the lip of the spool very well, because it is stiffer). Spectra (Braid) makes the "Corner" much better and comes off the spool in a much smaller "Loop", so many newer spinning rods come with a smaller 1st guide than traditionally. The rod company's are happy to make the spinning rods with the smaller 1st guide ... It saves them money. There are many more differences between a spinning rod and casting rod but at a glance that is the easiest.
Hope that helps,
Allan

smitht7

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2011, 09:47 PM »
I guess I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted. I thought you had purchased a combo rod and reel and were unsure of what type it was. My sincere apologies. I am clearly an idiot :'(

Basstracker

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2011, 07:29 AM »
Depends on the type of rod because for my baitrunners I use the Tiger Ugly sticks but I do not use a spinning reel version and it doesn't make any difference, especially with braided line.

BOULDERDASH

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2011, 08:06 AM »
on shorter rods you will often find a trigger or bump on the rod seet that will make using it as a spinner a pain other than that i have had spinners on casting rods before its not the size of the eyes so much as the distance or angle to the first eye, to sharp of angle and you can loose  some distance by chokeing the line just dont put an overside reel with a large diameter spool on it as that will increase the effect

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Another point to think about is if you are using a casting rod for spin fishing there is whats called "Line Slap", as the line comes off the spool, with the guide being so close to the Blank (rod) it slaps the blank loosing distant. Some of my rods (spinning) have extra high guides to completely remove line slap and boy can you get some distants...

bogmanjr

• KET-CHEN-ENY ?
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Rod blank's have a "spine" also. If your seriously trying to get that extra distance while casting the spine is important. Spinning rod's are wrapped with the eye's on one side while casting rod's have the eye's on the opposite side. It's been a long time since I have built any rod's but I think that they are set up to cast with the stiffest side of the rod. The average fisherman may never notice the difference but in a side by side comparison It would be noticable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.