FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp or ???  (Read 2558 times)

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
Carp or ???
« on: May 25, 2012, 06:59 PM »
So I was at my local bass factory today . Just doing a few minutes of shore fishing . Today was carp spawn day . The big monsters were going mental in the shallows . Big boys 10 to 20 pounders !!! I think they scared all the bass away lol ! As I was getting ready to give up and try another pond , there it was , about 10 feet away ! This fluorescent Orange fish with white patches about a foot long , swims by with a few monster carp behind it . It was so bright I could see it 50' away as it was swimming through the dirty muddy water . Was it a carp ??? Really cool to see ! I've been fishing here for years and NEVER saw a bright Orange fish !?!?

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

ebour

Re: Carp or ???
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 07:07 PM »
Koi. There are about a dozen at walden all in the 15 + pound range, that was someone's pet maybe

re-pete

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:49 PM »
same with the lake i live on. theres no carp here but a offsprey grabbed a koi out of someones pond and dropped it over the lake. the fish is around 10 pound and just roams the lake.

TroutTroller

• Lund wc-14 3.5 horse merc...beats any day at work
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 08:44 PM »
koi...

ICEHOLE

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:14 PM »
never seen a koi but i have been seeinglots of carp in the shallows at a local pond, and i took my buddy out who doesnt fish there much and he got his lure caught in a tree so we creeped in and spooked out 2 seriously large carp and he nearly "S" himself until i told them they were not 15lb bass
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

Basstracker

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 09:48 PM »
haha it's funny when you see a huge one because you freak out for that brief second until you realize what it is.

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:30 AM »
The 2 local bass ponds I hit were both going crazy with the carp yesterday ! I saw it 2 years ago as well . These monsters are stirring up all the mud along all the shores . It makes bass fishing a little tough for that day , until they are done ! I did get one nice bass ,4 Pounder  :)

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

88fishing

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 06:41 AM »
yea its was a kio. ive seen the ones in walden theres a white one that has to be 30+ lbs

Basstracker

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 06:50 AM »
yea its was a kio. ive seen the ones in walden theres a white one that has to be 30+ lbs

I don't even think the white one is the biggest one in Walden. I have seen a bigger orange one.

ebour

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 07:07 AM »
I saw that one, what a beast it was

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 07:24 AM »
It could also be an escapee or abandoned gold fish of sorts. I was fishing for brown trout a while back in NY state along lake Ontario with night crawlers and hooked into what was fighting like a nice fat brownie then we finally saw and could not believe it.  It was about an 18 inch fantail goldfish bright orange with a little bit of white.  I left it go in a golf course pond that was within a short distance of us and then got started trout fishing again.  If i would of realized how much the fish was worth i would of put it in a bucket and took it to pet shop or some Chinese restaurant with a fish tank display.    It was probably worth several hundred dollars. 

I have seen more koi then goldfish since so chances are it was a koi.   Being bright orange and whit it was no carp.

orangegill

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 07:56 AM »
yup.... those babies can bring a nice buck !   some of your wealtier neighborhoods have large water displays and seem to have loose wallets when it comes to fish like those for their water features.... they are cool to see swimmin in public waters and can pay for some nice gear if caught and sold.

sull155

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 08:08 AM »
I saw two in hopkinton reservoir last Sunday.  Also, I believe koi are actually a type of carp and can be caught using the same methods

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 09:48 AM »
It could also be an escapee or abandoned gold fish of sorts. I was fishing for brown trout a while back in NY state along lake Ontario with night crawlers and hooked into what was fighting like a nice fat brownie then we finally saw and could not believe it.  It was about an 18 inch fantail goldfish bright orange with a little bit of white.  I left it go in a golf course pond that was within a short distance of us and then got started trout fishing again.  If i would of realized how much the fish was worth i would of put it in a bucket and took it to pet shop or some Chinese restaurant with a fish tank display.    It was probably worth several hundred dollars. 

I have seen more koi then goldfish since so chances are it was a koi.   Being bright orange and whit it was no carp.

They aren't worth as much as people think they are. Even Walmart sells them. LOL

It's special ones in Japan and select breeders here but the run of the mill koi and goldfish aren't that big of a deal.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ICEHOLE

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 09:23 PM »
certain patterns, and larger fish can be worth hundreds...but there are the very common patterns like fish almost all black, or orange or white. most are not worth lots but still worth somthing for sure.
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.