FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any of you kayaker fish freshwater bass?  (Read 2272 times)

Yachtzy

Any of you kayaker fish freshwater bass?
« on: Mar 02, 2016, 02:39 PM »
  If so, and you like to fish competition,  let me know. I'm in a couple trails, come join, it's a good time on the water. It does not have to be a kayak, it just has to be man powered (ex., canoe, Jon boat w/oars or paddle crawdad, etc.) If your child can handle a vessel, they're invited also.

One is a set schedule, and the other is a knockout series.

The set schedule is mostly South Shore ponds(which I have no experience with, but like new spots) great group of friendly people. There are about 12 ponds, and a few of the stops are roadrunner events.

The knockout is a head to head match, the two people agree on a pond. It's similar to the March Madness brackets. It caps out at 32 people.

There is a couple weeks left to sign up still. They're both catch, photo, and release. I enjoyed it a lot last year, and I'm sure you would too. There is a list of rules, and it's organized well.

Tilted

Re: Any of you kayaker fish freshwater bass?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Do you have to sign on for all events or just fish when you want. I work in Peabody and fish a lot after work around there. I'll be hitting that certain spot across from Browns real soon. Blade baits
Chasin brown fish

Yachtzy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2016, 04:56 AM »
Do you have to sign on for all events or just fish when you want. I work in Peabody and fish a lot after work around there. I'll be hitting that certain spot across from Browns real soon. Blade baits

A couple trails you can pick and choose. Just about all of the spots are south of the Garden, (Ponkapog, Billington Sea, Oldham, Neponsett, Norton, Nipp, Snapituit, Dudley, etc.) They are all on Saturdays 7-3, or 6-2pm. I don't have Facebook,  but there is a link I have. Let me know if you need more info.

Yachtzy

« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2016, 02:08 PM »
  Picked up another yak. 12' Ascend used three times w/paddle $380. It's a big improvement compared to my last one. I still have the old one of anyone wants to borrow for an event.

Checked out the little lure retriever notch at the end of the paddle. I never seen this before, it's a cool invention. Sometimes the smallest things impress me the most.

Baitbucket

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:45 PM »
I was looking at those yaks at BassPro, but they get horrible reviews, even on the BPS site its only 2/5 stars. The same model thats is a sit in gets much better reviews.

Yachtzy

« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2016, 02:05 PM »
I was looking at those yaks at BassPro, but they get horrible reviews, even on the BPS site its only 2/5 stars. The same model thats is a sit in gets much better reviews.
I haven't taken it out yet to try it, but probably this weekend and I'll report back. I did a quick search on it before I bought it, mostly was looking for what it cost new though. Looks like you can get splashed easily, but there is a lot of storage space on the sit on top version instead of the sit in.  Supposedly you can stand up in it, and the previous owner had it in the salt for stripers. It's definitely not comparable to a Hobie, but way better than the Big Lots special I had before it. A lot heavier to carry and sticks out of the pickup more also, that's the downside I see. Nothing a cart and a ladder rack can't fix I guess.

Will, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a fish finder for the yak, ice, and the crawdad. I want to switch around the same unit for all three. I know you said there was a good deal around, on a Garmin 7" screen?  I'm not sure if it was a Garmin you said, but I can't find that thread, I think it was on the Shanty site maybe. What's the best deal for the buck for that situation? I need a big screen, getting tough to see things up close now easily. Thanks

Baitbucket

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2016, 02:41 PM »
This one from garmin looks like a great deal. Hard to find a 7" for under 400. Youll probably want to get an ice transducer for it for ice use.
Youll probably want a navionics chip too. Those are about 100$. But check out the stock maps first. If u have the navionics phone app u can use the Fishfinder to get close, then use the phone to get more info.

The link wont work. Look on cabellas for Garmin® Striker™ 7DV Sonar/GPS Combo. It 399$

perchgypsy

« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2016, 02:52 PM »
That's a great price on that yak
I have the 10' sit in...I don't target bass but sounds like a good time

Yachtzy

« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:29 PM »
This one from garmin looks like a great deal. Hard to find a 7" for under 400. Youll probably want to get an ice transducer for it for ice use.
Youll probably want a navionics chip too. Those are about 100$. But check out the stock maps first. If u have the navionics phone app u can use the Fishfinder to get close, then use the phone to get more info.

The link wont work. Look on cabellas for Garmin® Striker™ 7DV Sonar/GPS Combo. It 399$

Found it, thanks. Found the Garmin ice tranducer also, $119 got to make sure it's compatible.

Yachtzy

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:38 PM »
That's a great price on that yak
I have the 10' sit in...I don't target bass but sounds like a good time

I figured it was a reasonable price, new at BPS is $599, and $79 for the paddle, and another 6.25% tax.
It keeps me sane, so worth a lot more!   ;D

Baitbucket

« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:02 PM »
Found it, thanks. Found the Garmin ice tranducer also, $119 got to make sure it's compatible.

Good call. Ill be at BPS this Friday. If they have them ill check them out.

perchgypsy

« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2016, 07:59 AM »
One thing I did was found a nice stiff Fallin branch about 9'tall and sharpne both ends ...that I keep on opposite side of yak where you keep paddle....that way when I'm in shallow water I just stick it in the bottom and tie off to it...beats dropping a anchor....I fish alot of shallows when I get deeper I bring the anchor

Baitbucket

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2016, 08:19 AM »
One thing I did was found a nice stiff Fallin branch about 9'tall and sharpne both ends ...that I keep on opposite side of yak where you keep paddle....that way when I'm in shallow water I just stick it in the bottom and tie off to it...beats dropping a anchor....I fish alot of shallows when I get deeper I bring the anchor

Extendable golf ball retrievers work well for this to. Collapse down to about 3.5ft and extend to 10ft. Got one off amazon for about 10 bucks.

perchgypsy

« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Great idea ....sold ;D
there is a reason to like golf

Baitbucket

« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2016, 08:28 AM »
Great idea ....sold ;D
there is a reason to like golf

Just be sure to attach a small lanyard to the top with a small piece of pool noodle. In case it falls over and sinks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.