FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Picked up a used boat  (Read 1832 times)

Yachtzy

Picked up a used boat
« on: Apr 20, 2016, 08:13 PM »
 Just got this 16' Starcraft Starcaster 40 hp all welded and just got done scrubbing the living hay out of it. Nice little boat, but less than half the hp I'm looking for, but will do for now. I'm back to the same dilemma as last year's boat, the new ipilot setup I been dreaming about is more than the boat! You guys had to see that commercial where the guy is by himself and just backs the boat in the water unmanned,  and uses the remote to deploy the motor bring the boat to him. Probably better off with one of those white Riptide salt water trolling motors though in the long run.Keep an eye out for some striper pics soon!

lowaccord66

Re: Picked up a used boat
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Looks great Chris!  By the way, you can have both the riptide and ipilot!  I was looking at them the other day.  Like most things boat related they are not giving them away.  The 55lb 54" 12v is the cheapest one with ipilot...1300 bucks...

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2016, 09:47 PM »
Nice rig Chris
That 40 hp will move that thing right along

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2016, 09:46 AM »
Nice looking ride Chris. Get out and chase some black backs before the stripers make it.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2016, 10:11 AM »
That will get you into some back water!

boondox

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2016, 10:45 AM »
that boat don't look used looks bran new to me!! by the way nice rig there!! 

Knot there yet

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2016, 11:14 AM »
Looks like joe's but way newer.
Congratulations !

Yachtzy

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2016, 09:08 PM »
Thanks guys. Sounds weird but, I think there might be a mouse nest under the deck. I saw a couple running around in circles in my driveway last night. The old owner had steel wool in every hole, and he did live in a wooded country neighborhood. I flooded that thing out when I scrubbed it down, probably flushed them out. I should of taken a before picture, the thing was brown from sitting in the water, and the rug and seats weren't much cleaner. She cleaned up well.

Jon, I found an 80 volt Riptide long shaft 24 volt for a good price. Only problem is I'll have to add another battery because you can't convert it to 12 volt, still debating a decision. More weight=less speed. I like speed!

So my other want item is a power talon, but those aren't cheap either, $1400. I saw a vid on a Dig In anchor product. West Marine carries them but they're about $275. Wait till you see what red neck ingenuity contraption I come up with for about $60, it will be interchangeable for use on the kayak too!

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2016, 09:13 PM »
80lbs and 24v on that particular boat would be the way to go if your fishing with any tidal current.  Still water that 80lbs would be pretty quick!

(I need to get one myself)

Yachtzy

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2016, 09:21 PM »
80lbs and 24v on that particular boat would be the way to go if your fishing with any tidal current.  Still water that 80lbs would be pretty quick!

(I need to get one myself)

That might be better suited for your boat than mine. All I can picture is hitting the go button when it's on 10 and the motor pointed sideways, me going for an unplanned swim.

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Trade you my 12 volt 55lb... And I will take you fishing in 18ft boat with the 80 lb thrust! LOL!

boondox

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2016, 10:45 PM »
cheap power pole option I came up with was:
does that boat got the grab handle on the back and front if so get a piece of emt and weld a tee on the end of it emt and rmc tubeing  which is short for  rigid metal conduit and electrical metallic tubing .. there ten foot lengths and should be able to stick in the mud ten foot down and fish.... the tee on the end is to prevent it from coming out of the grab handle and leaving it behind in the mud... just a thought emt in 1 inch or 3/4 is only like $5 for ten foot of it... drill a hole across the end of 3/4 emt and put a bolt threw it  so it does not fall threw the grab handle or what ever you make could even use a eye bolt to do it? like that screws in to wood with a closed round  end not a hook end I use them in the garage all the time to hang stuff off of...   for ten to fifteen dollars  beat paying the $1400 for a power one?

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2016, 04:54 AM »
Trade you my 12 volt 55lb... And I will take you fishing in 18ft boat with the 80 lb thrust! LOL!

80 is silly!  Does your 55lb have a 54" shaft?

stripernut

« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2016, 06:45 AM »
80 is silly!  Does your 55lb have a 54" shaft?

I do believe it is!

Baitbucket

« Reply #14 on: Apr 22, 2016, 06:56 AM »
Nice new boat man!!

That thing will scream with that 40hp on it. My SeaNymph is 18' and does 22mph with me and another person in it with a 25hp on the back and 3 bateries.

I got the iPilot link last season with a 70lb 24v motor. I have trolled 6hrs straight with it and it hasnt died yet. The spot lock electronic anchor may negate your need for the power talon. Also a nice feature, when you turn the motor off, it always returns to the forward facing position, so you dont take any unexpected swims =)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.