FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: B.O.A.T= Bust Out Another Thousand  (Read 4661 times)

xjbob99

B.O.A.T= Bust Out Another Thousand
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:01 AM »
gotta love boats. in the middle of doing my transom. fiberglass should be here this weekend hopefully. what a pain but in the end it will be worth it!

what made me do the transom, and the fact it had a crazy amount of flex. have to expect that from a hull made in 1968.

this boat came with a 20" transom for a 20" shaft motor. somewhere in its life someone hacked in a center transom making it fit for a 25" shaft motor. they did it half assed. the middle was fine but all the existing transom was rotted and doing nothing.

all cut out

cleaned up. i have to cut back the sides a little more before i start laying the new skin.

stripernut

Re: B.O.A.T= Bust Out Another Thousand
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10 AM »
Good luck, I am sure it will look great when done! Reminds me of why I like aluminum...

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:22 AM »
Good luck, I am sure it will look great when done! Reminds me of why I like aluminum...

I can only imagine what they would have done (half-arsed) had it BEEN aluminum?????
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:32 AM »
bolt on a Aluminum plate I would think... Which would be hard to hide and would not rot from the inside... But then again, maybe they would have used some painted partial board!

Dana

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:13 PM »
That's one heck of a project, Bob. It looks like you're doing a great job, keep it up.
Glenn, get the net!

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 04:09 PM »
A 25" shaft transom is awesome if you're gonna use the boat in big water rough stuff.
Keeps the back end a bit drier.
Keep us update on your progress with pics and posts
Thanks
Mac

xjbob99

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Took memorial day weekend off from the boat. Finally made some progress tonight after work.

Set the dam up

Then laid the fillets in and was running out of steam. Hopefully lay the outer skin tomorrow

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2016, 12:00 AM »
Keep us posted. I am keenly interested in watching your progress.

I had a wooden transom on an aluminum boat deteriorate due to leaving the boat outside after the cover went to hell. Fortunately for me the Starcraft boat company was just down the road where it was made, and I knew a foreman that worked there. He replaced the transom as good as new and  the boat stays in the garage from now on. The boat will never be left outside even if it means leaving a car outside!

I did it just in time as Starcraft is no long there.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2016, 06:21 AM »

I had a wooden transom on an aluminum boat deteriorate due to leaving the boat outside after the cover went to hell. Fortunately for me the Starcraft boat company was just down the road where it was made, and I knew a foreman that worked there. He replaced the transom as good as new and  the boat stays in the garage from now on. The boat will never be left outside even if it means leaving a car outside!

That shouldn't happen by leaving it outside.
First, there's an aluminum cap on top of the transom to keep the wood out of the end grain of the wood.
2nd, when it was rebuilt it should have been done with PT or marine grade plywood and resin.

Boats sit all summer tied up to docks........... in the water!
That's what they are built for.

The original plywood used by Starcraft, and other aluminum boat makers, was plywood.
But these days, PT and marine grade are used.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2016, 07:38 AM »

That shouldn't happen by leaving it outside.
First, there's an aluminum cap on top of the transom to keep the wood out of the end grain of the wood.
2nd, when it was rebuilt it should have been done with PT or marine grade plywood and resin.

Boats sit all summer tied up to docks........... in the water!
That's what they are built for.

The original plywood used by Starcraft, and other aluminum boat makers, was plywood.
But these days, PT and marine grade are used.

Interesting. Did not know that. Just know it's now as good as new.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

xjbob99

« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2016, 08:22 AM »
most common transom failures ive seen are from people blasting transducers and other accessories into their transoms with out properly sealing them. silicone and stainless screws are not enough. i was guilty of that in a few boats ive owned. I had two big scuppers on my transom in the picture below. when i was ripping the old stuff out these came out with a hammer and very little prying. they ever never sealed them. so every time that boat was in the water or rain was draining off the deck the transom core was in contact with the water. never mind the transom cap was separated and allowing water to drain down from the top.

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2016, 08:25 AM »
most common transom failures ive seen are from people blasting transducers and other accessories into their transoms with out properly sealing them. silicone and stainless screws are not enough. i was guilty of that in a few boats ive owned. I had two big scuppers on my transom in the picture below. when i was ripping the old stuff out these came out with a hammer and very little prying. they ever never sealed them. so every time that boat was in the water or rain was draining off the deck the transom core was in contact with the water. never mind the transom cap was separated and allowing water to drain down from the top.

Bingo!!

We have a winner!!

Yea, it's ok to drill holes in boats.
But be sure to seal them up properly.

xjbob99

« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Got the drain pipe in. A little sloppy on the fillet but I smooth it out more after the pic.

After that I started laying on the biaxial. Here's the 2nd layer. I wish I smoothed out my fillets a little better. There was some bubbles I couldn't get out for the life of me and I wish I ground down the edges where it meets the dam a little better. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. It could have been better.

And the last layer of the outside skin. Pretty low on epoxy so I'm putting in an order for 2 more gallons tomorrow.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2016, 09:23 PM »
Sweet
Keep the pics coming
Great job so far

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2016, 09:26 PM »
Nice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.