FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Statement issued by MA Dept of Fish and Game  (Read 2402 times)

stripernut

Re: Statement issued by MA Dept of Fish and Game
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2017, 06:31 AM »
Alan do you remember the fishing during the moritorium?  Guys only fishing for blues I hear.  I would hate to see that.  Also RE PCB's look at Lake O. there are tons of people paying for charters and bringing home kings and browns when for women and children its Do Not Eat. Even a brown over 20" is 1 meal a month for healthy folks!

Yes I remember, I started Guiding for striper just as it was ending. Incredible fishing at least for me and my clients, so many 34" and 36" fish and most days we would be fishing alone! I guaranteed you would catch fish or the next trip was free (unheard of back then) and had a few old Charter Captains come close to blows over my offering that... Now almost everyone offers it.
As to the PCBs, that was a bit tongue and cheek, but the sentiment is what I am alluding to; shutting down the fishery would not hurt my feelings (making it C&R).
You are right about people eating contaminated fish, I even knew people that ate stripers back then... Sometimes you can't fix stupid...

Baitbucket

« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2017, 07:21 AM »
Most freshwater locations in MA have a fish eating Advisory. Even the Chu and Quabbin.

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/environmental/exposure/freshwater-fish-consumption-advisories.pdf

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2017, 08:12 AM »
Its nice to hear people support the thought of them being C&R.  I enjoy eating them myself but if I have more shots at a 50lber Ill tale that over eating them!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #18 on: Apr 21, 2017, 08:24 AM »
for what its worth, the slot limit that they put on the hudson fishery, we were all HEAVILY against it, and literally in one years time it was proven to be a god send.   We boated more fish over 25lbs last year than in the last 10 years combined. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.