FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sprinkles on the Sawmill  (Read 2316 times)

bogtrotter

Sprinkles on the Sawmill
« on: Apr 17, 2023, 02:35 PM »
I took a drive to Montague to. fish the Sawmill River this morning.

The weather today was overcast and cool (50 to 55 degrees) with intermittent showers - - and incredibly foggy at the summit of the Mohawk Trail (both on the ride over and the trip back).

Arriving a little before 10 AM, I waded from the South Street bridge to the next one without so much as a nibble.

Then I drove downstream to the Book Mill and my luck changed.

In short succession, I caught a 15" brown (which I initially mistook for a log, and fought like hell once it started moving) and two (13" and 14") rainbows about a football field below the Book Mill.

At that point (12 noon), the rain started coming down harder, so I walked back to my car, changed out of my waders and did some shopping at the Book Mill (motto: "Books you don't need at a place you cann't find") for about an hour before heading home.

Steve H.

Re: Sprinkles on the Sawmill
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2023, 02:49 PM »
I caught a 15" brown (which I initially mistook for a log, and fought like hell once it started moving) and two (13" and 14") rainbows

Nice catch!  What'd ya catch the brown on??
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2023, 03:20 PM »
good morning of fishing.Congrats

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2023, 04:06 PM »
Nice catch!  What'd ya catch the brown on??

About a third of a nightcrawler.

Steve H.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2023, 04:41 PM »
About a third of a nightcrawler.

Great.  Just curious, do you "drift" your bait through likely riffles, runs, holes, etc?  If so, do you use a float or tight line so you can feel the take?  Or do you cast and let the bait sit on bottom?

Whatever you do, it seems you get plenty of action and catch some nice trout!
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2023, 07:12 PM »
Way to get out there Jim.

bogtrotter

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2023, 07:11 AM »
Great.  Just curious, do you "drift" your bait through likely riffles, runs, holes, etc?  If so, do you use a float or tight line so you can feel the take?  Or do you cast and let the bait sit on bottom?

I generally let it "drift" through likely looking spots with a light split shot.

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2023, 09:44 AM »
Nice work Jim.  Curious how you ended up trying that river or stretch of river.  I need to start exploring more as you do.  Although the 3 branches of the westfield have variety I seem to end up back and my usual haunts.  The Millers River is one I've been saying I'm going to try for years and haven't made the trip.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

bogtrotter

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2023, 11:41 AM »
Nice work Jim.  Curious how you ended up trying that river or stretch of river. 

My Dad used to take me fishing on the Sawmill back in the 1980's, so it has fond memories for me - - I caught my PB tiger trout there - - even though I have not done really well there for years (at least not till yesterday).

I also tend to "fall into a rut" in terms of fishing "the same old" spots - - so every once in a while I try to mix things up.

I have also heard lots of good things about the Millers River - - although, as I recall, the couple of times that I tried (half-heartedly) fishing it myself, I did not have any action.

Ryan51993

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2023, 09:01 PM »
The Millers can produce well but its a very large river and the flows can change dramatically. Not going to be the easiest place to figure out in a short period of time. I fished it once in the bears den section and I recall a very long steep hike down to the water but once I got there every other cast was a smallie or a brown trout.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2023, 11:39 AM »
Are there wild trout there or just implants?

Steve H.

« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2023, 01:05 PM »
I have also heard lots of good things about the Millers River - - although, as I recall, the couple of times that I tried (half-heartedly) fishing it myself, I did not have any action.

The area at Wendell Depot can be very good at times.

westernmas

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2023, 01:23 PM »
Are there wild trout there or just implants?

I think there are some wild browns in there but mostly stockers.  As mentioned, with it being a tailwater and huge fluctuations in flows I think it can get pretty warm in the summer months.  My understanding is it is kind of like the housy where it transitions to more a smallmouth river for most of the summer.  I haven't looked at this guys blog much recently as he gets a little preachy but I believe he even has a map of the millers with various named pools.  https://millersriverflyfishingforum.blogspot.com/2023/04/stoneflies-and-millers.html  I thought he said he called it quits and moved to NH but there are recent posts about MA so seems like hes kept the blog going.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2023, 01:29 PM »
My Dad used to take me fishing on the Sawmill back in the 1980's, so it has fond memories for me - - I caught my PB tiger trout there - - even though I have not done really well there for years (at least not till yesterday).

I also tend to "fall into a rut" in terms of fishing "the same old" spots - - so every once in a while I try to mix things up.

Good stuff Jim.  Sadly my Dad wasn't into fishing.  He liked golfing too much to take up fishing.  Some days I'm not sure which one is more frustrating.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

manitron

« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2023, 05:49 AM »
Good stuff Jim.  Sadly my Dad wasn't into fishing.  He liked golfing too much to take up fishing.  Some days I'm not sure which one is more frustrating.

Unquestionably golf.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.