FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Help w/ Penn Yann boat decision  (Read 2669 times)

Utes

Help w/ Penn Yann boat decision
« on: Mar 31, 2004, 08:49 PM »
 Don't have much knowledge; well ,any knowledge about these boats. I have  the opportunity to purchase a 1969 17 ft. Penn Yann( Is that even how you spell it?). I'm going to look at it tomorrow and would love some input. I do know the boat has a four cyclinder that runs good and it's a deep V . The hull is in good shape and the rest of the boat is ok. It's seats are in rough shape and it needs new carpet on the floor. It does'nt have power trim, don't know why but i've heard I could always put one on. I guess it did'nt have one when the guy bought it either. The guy just wants to sell it because he does'nt use it enough. I could probably have it for $700-$900. It also has a galvinized trailer that's in excellant shape. I do know the owner relatively well but i would still like any help in the decision. Any thing I should look at closely? etc... Thanks for the help

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Help w/ Penn Yann boat decision
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2004, 05:47 AM »
There's a lot to check,

Is it an I/O or shaft drive?
Is it in the water?
Can you run it?
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Utes

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2004, 07:19 AM »
RG, it's an I/O. No, it's not in the water ,so i don't know if I can run it or not. I've known the guy for three years that is selling it and he says it runs fine though. Thanks

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2004, 07:28 AM »
Utes,
 Check the color of the engine oil to see if it's been serviced regularly. Those 4 bangers can be tough on oil if they've been trolled a lot.

Be prepared to change the water seals and pump impeller in the lower unit. If it's been sitting for a while they're probably dried out.

Pull the oil plug on the lower unit and let some of the lubricant run out. If it's milky or has water in it...that's a dead give away.

Hook up a battery and see if it starts.

Check the I/O lift and make sure it works.

Look for signs of water leakage around the I/O into the hull.

Hope it's all OK for you...Good Luck!
RG

Look for hull damage on the keel and bottom.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

deerslayer92163

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2004, 10:19 AM »
get some rabbit ears from wal-mart and run it to make sure the drive unit is ok they only cost a few bucks and if your boat hunting they'll come in handy

Utes

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Hey , Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to look at it tonight. I'm also going to look at a 16 ft. 1978 SeaNymph w/ a johnson 70 hp. Open bow w/ a 81' tinnie tilt trailer. I got the itch after selling my 15' starcraft at the end of last season. Thanks again, utes

Utes

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2004, 09:18 PM »
RG, thanks for all the help. I ended up getting the  1978 ,16' seanymph  deep V w/ the 70 hp johnson(open bow). Very well kept boat. Motor is in great shape too,runs super. You could eat off this guys garage floor, so I felt pretty comfortable about the purchase. It ain't like the perch boat you'll be styling in this summer RG but it'll have to do for a while.lol  This guy was picking up his $24,000 dollar Lund on Monday.(poor guy).

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2004, 04:46 AM »
Utes,
That's my brother's boat (as I metioned) and frankly I wouldn't have one that big. I will enjoy using it  though.

My boat is a 1962 Caprice 14' tri hull with a  25hp Johnson. I dare say it's seen more hours on the water than most and it will be MY perch machine for a long while yet.

Good luck with your new craft.
RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.