FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: spring crappies  (Read 11014 times)

fingerlakesfisher

Re: spring crappies
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2004, 02:52 PM »
thanks buckshot,  I fish the canal but over closer to clyde/montezuma area and have done well in the past, also in cayuga lake.  I read earlier on iceshanty that you guys also ice fish that area of the canal.  Any luck, how deep is it and how thick does the ice get.  I'll send you an e-mail closer to spring.  thanks

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2004, 05:38 PM »
fingerlakes,

Yup it is icefishable. I fished it a few times this year. Fishing is uaully great through the ice as well. The ice was pretty good this year plus 12 inches. It has opened up alot in the last two days. Yesterday it opened up pretty good and today alot more. Its raining pretty good here now and won't be long until we can launch a boat.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:43 AM »
Fish all those spots mentioned. But the hump in the middle of Seneca is best. Braddock bay has suffered the same mysterious crappie die off. It's a real shame as one of the best spots was off my dock. I guess I'll have to move. 
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

MARK G

« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2004, 09:10 AM »
HOPING TO HIT A FEW SPOTS WEST OF ROCHESTER ON MY WAY HOME. BUT I WILL TRAVEL ON THE WEEKENDS. ANYONE STARTS PICKING UP ANY CRAPPIE I'D LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT. I'LL DO THE SAME IF I HAVE ANY LUCK.
MARK G.

slabby1

« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:27 AM »
Hi,new to all these boards but excited just to soak up knowledge,which looks to be quite
abundant. 8) ;)

scottcny

« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Reelcharacter-
Caz and Tully are to good bets for crappies in the spring time in CNY area. Oneida can be good to along the north shore on the west end, when the wind allows. Have tried a place called toad harbor on Oneida? Great spot to fish from shore for the spring panfish! Send me a private message if you need directions.

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:00 AM »
Just got in from catching a few by my house here at Braddock Bay. Had to use 1/64 oz jigs tipped with spikes. Heading back now that I found them.
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

MARK G

« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2004, 11:09 AM »
Stopped by Black creek in Churchville to check things out. Saw one guy fishing and he had 5 crappies in the bucket. Time to stick the rod behind the seat of the truck, I'm getting the itch bad ;D

eyedoktr

« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2004, 11:34 AM »
The West River at the south end of Canandaguia Lake is one place I always hit in the spring.
Pete Lewis

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2004, 12:28 AM »
Roverowner,

Thanks. I have some experience with Moraine, mostly from shore at the boat launch (nice place to take the kids when they were younger). Ice fished there a couple weeks ago on the open water side of the two east shore islands. Picks and dink perch only.  I like the other little reserviors around there as well. Lets compare notes, email me directly sometime.

Let me know how you do.

-reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2004, 01:27 PM »
I've done the west River thing too, seems the catch is down from years past? We used to kill them down there though.

gone

« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2004, 02:44 PM »
im going to seneca in the morning to see if i can get some crappies ill post tomorrow night :) :) gone

Rochbassman

« Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:35 PM »
Ok. ill bite. The hump in the middle of Seneca????????
Busting chops? Last i remember the middle of Seneca is about 650 feet deep. Or are you talking about the humps in 18-24 feet of water in the Northwest corner of the lake? 2-4 foot humps formed by piles of rock ballast dumped by barges years ago.
d**n so complicated ,I'll just have to simplify things and hit wide waters instead.
Tight lines

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2004, 11:17 PM »
Ok guys (and ladies),

Where are the Spring Crappies  ???

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2004, 01:05 PM »
Ok. ill bite. The hump in the middle of Seneca????????
Busting chops? Last i remember the middle of Seneca is about 650 feet deep. Or are you talking about the humps in 18-24 feet of water in the Northwest corner of the lake? 2-4 foot humps formed by piles of rock ballast dumped by barges years ago.
d**n so complicated ,I'll just have to simplify things and hit wide waters instead.
Tight lines
Yeah we were bustin chops. Wide waters is a nice place for springs Crappies, if you find them you will get alot over 14" my biggest there was 18 1/2".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.