FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: spring crappies  (Read 11016 times)

bigdave1018

Re: spring crappies
« Reply #30 on: Mar 17, 2004, 04:31 PM »
all i can say is black lake for quality and quanity. not many over 15 inches but the ones nearer 9 inches taste the best. im glad that  ny made a size and creel limit.this might help keep the slobs from depleting the fishery to help feather their pockets!!!!!!! id like to see them take all their rods reels and even their vehicles just like they do to the slob deer poachers.

PERCH INC.

• Monster Perch Rulz!!!!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 17, 2004, 04:52 PM »
Saratoga Lake has some nice size crappies as soon as the ice is out you can catch them. You can catch them right off the state boat ramp!!
Pass it on !! "Hunting and Fishing"

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #32 on: Mar 17, 2004, 11:34 PM »
Anyone have suggestions for ice out Crappie fishing in Syracuse area?

How about dock fishing before the marina boats are put in the water? Or areas with attractive rip rap, road tubes or other structure that are "Crappie magnet" features?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

bigdave1018

« Reply #33 on: Mar 18, 2004, 06:15 AM »
dear reel character, oneida lake is awesome for spring crappies. toad harbor off rt.69 out of central square [ the road is across from the green view golf course,not to far off i-81 going east]. on the south shore most of the marinas are private property but stroddels marina [ its off southbay road, off the cicero exit of i-81, near aero marina ] has a pay to fish deal. the house is at the intersection of mud mill road and south bay road. the lady charges i think 2 $ a car and 2$ a person to fish but if you hit it right its gills shiners and jumbo crappies galore. most of the people use minnows and small bobbers. i use tubes and hair jigs with spikes and catch every thing. i hope this info helps you out , later big dave.

reelcharacter

« Reply #34 on: Mar 20, 2004, 11:59 PM »
Dave,

We keep tripping over each other with these various NY topics. Perhaps we should trip over each other with fishing poles in hand sometime?

-Lyle
aka "Reelcharacter"
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

bigdave1018

« Reply #35 on: Mar 22, 2004, 07:35 AM »
i hear that lyle. as soon as i get my newer boat my 2 buds and i are gonna start sinking brush piles some night on port bay. in 2 days or less they will be crappie hotels!!!! i have a friend who lives right on port bay near the marina and he lets me fish off his dock. caught many a nice crappie right off the dock. he wont let me sink any brush there, but what he dont know wont hurt him lol. tight lines. 

reelcharacter

« Reply #36 on: Mar 22, 2004, 11:45 PM »
Good luck BD,

Have never placed or fished brush piles, but have read some on them. Sounds like fun . . .

I once read an article (and wish I could now find it) about attaching floating fly line to weights and submerging them in groupings. It simulates submerged weeds in otherwise un-weedy areas. Algae (or other stuff) attach and on up the food chain we go to make these areas fish magnets similar to brush piles. The beauty is you can jig over the area and there is very little to hang your line up on.

-Reelcharacter

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #37 on: Mar 23, 2004, 02:11 PM »
I agree that Saratoga is a good place to catch crappie.  It is usally really good until bass opens in June but even then it is good.
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

MARK G

« Reply #38 on: Mar 26, 2004, 10:10 AM »
I hope to get out some time this weekend. Anyone herd of any crappie action in WNY
Any information and/pr advice would br greatly apprieciated.
Thanks
Mark G. :o ;D

reubenpa

« Reply #39 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:11 AM »
I got 3 keepers out of that launch thingy on the west river I think its called.  10-12.5 inches
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

mrnavyx30

« Reply #40 on: Mar 31, 2004, 07:09 PM »
Spent the morning and part of the afternoon at the Ashville Bay Marina which has plenty of open water.  Most of the ice still on Chautauqua is located at the bridge and north.  Anyhow there were about 10-12 people down there and we were all staying busy with as active as the fish were.  Started at 7:30 am - 1:30 pm.  I was useing small white jigs w/ pink heads and minnows.  Walked away with a small bucket of keepers.  Caught a lot of perch, probaly about 30 (6 keepers) most of them females loaded with eggs, about 15 crappies (5 keepers) and a couple of nice size blue gill.  An added extra even though I didn't keep them was a rock bass and 2 largemouth bass (both of which were keepers) had it been in season.   The fish were all very active my entire time, but then at about 12:45 everything shut down.

phisher

« Reply #41 on: Apr 01, 2004, 08:58 AM »
dear reel character, oneida lake is awesome for spring crappies. toad harbor off rt.69 out of central square [ the road is across from the green view golf course,not to far off i-81 going east]. on the south shore most of the marinas are private property but stroddels marina [ its off southbay road, off the cicero exit of i-81, near aero marina ] has a pay to fish deal. the house is at the intersection of mud mill road and south bay road. the lady charges i think 2 $ a car and 2$ a person to fish but if you hit it right its gills shiners and jumbo crappies galore. most of the people use minnows and small bobbers. i use tubes and hair jigs with spikes and catch every thing. i hope this info helps you out , later big dave.

phisher

« Reply #42 on: Apr 01, 2004, 09:05 AM »

Big Dave,

I'm just getting interested in crappie fishing, after seeing and taking some while icefishing on Big Bay.  Am I correct in assuming that both Toad Harbor and Stroddels are "from shore" opportunities?

deerslayer92163

« Reply #43 on: Apr 01, 2004, 09:06 AM »
i floated the canals on chautaqua last night in my boat was the only one out there maybe i was the first one on the lake this year anyways caught over 100 crappie with 20 keepers some may have been but i dont keep them unless there at least 10" got a ticket for a short fish couple years ago and i know it was 9 when i kept it so i dont take any chances with shrinkage any more

bigdave1018

« Reply #44 on: Apr 01, 2004, 06:10 PM »
yup ph, toad harbor and stroddels are both fishing from shore, tks big dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.