FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: new way of fishing for me  (Read 4477 times)

Stuck-on-Seven

new way of fishing for me
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:32 AM »
Me and my buddy went down to a local farm pond the other day and started fishing for bass we could see them up close to shore but i think they were spawning so they wouldnt hit anything.....after we threw everything in the box at em with no luck my friend had an idea...so we caught a little blue gill (about 4 in.) and put him on a nice big weighted hook...we threw him in front of the first bass we could see. and that fish hammered the bluegill....with a baitcast reel we just let it free spool and he could take as much line as he wanted....watching the line peel off was awesome eventually you just set the hook nice and hard a couple times and fight the fish across the pond....just like striper fishing but with smaller fish.....caught some of the biggest ones ive ever seen in that pond and we ended up with 5 total in about an hour....im guessing the weights were between 3 and 5 lbs...forgot the camera but i will be going back soon so i will be sure to have the digital next time.

jeg in albany

Re: new way of fishing for me
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:38 AM »
I'm not trying to be a buzzkill here, just passing along information.  If you're in NY, and I have no idea if you are, it's illegal to fish for bass with live bait out of season.  Arificials only.

crappie smokin

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:20 PM »
I'm not trying to be a buzzkill here, just passing along information.  If you're in NY, and I have no idea if you are, it's illegal to fish for bass with live bait out of season.  Arificials only.

even on private property?

jeg in albany

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:38 PM »
I would think the laws still apply.  Don't most laws still apply on private property?  But I'm not sure.

And your chances of running into a DEC officer in your backyard are rather slim, to be sure.

Instantperception

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:04 PM »
I would think the laws still apply.  Don't most laws still apply on private property?  But I'm not sure.

And your chances of running into a DEC officer in your backyard are rather slim, to be sure.

As of may second fishing for bass in NY state is permitted,   this is a quote from the WNY fishing hotline....................

"Anglers fishing in Lake Erie and tributary streams can keep one bass per day, minimum size 20 inches and use of natural bait such as minnows is permitted."

perchpirate97

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:12 PM »
I know there is a regulation stating that if you're an owner of the pond, you and your immediate family do not need a license to fish it. It is on the D.E.C website somewhere, it shouldn't be too hard to find. But once May starts, you can use live bait to target bass, and the limit is 1 per day, 20" minimum

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 03:47 PM »
In Indiana I know for a fact IF it is indead PRIVATE water you can do just about whatever you want.

thechief

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Excerpts from the NY State DEC Website....................

A farm fish pond is a body of water impounded by a dam, of not more than ten acres water surface when full, lying wholly within the boundaries of privately owned or leased lands. It does not include any pond used in connection with any private camp, boarding house, hotel, or other establishment catering to the public.

Holders of a fishing license or persons entitled to fish without a license may take fish from a Farm Fish Pond subject to General Angling Regulations open seasons, minimum size limits and daily creel limits.

Who Needs a License?
Everyone must have a valid fishing license in their possession while fishing, except:

When fishing on licensed fishing preserves.
Citizen-resident owners, lessees and citizen members of their immediate families occupying and cultivating farm lands, when fishing on their own lands.
Persons holding farm fish pond licenses and members of their immediate families, when fishing on waters covered by their licenses.

So, it looks like the regulations require that if it is not your own land (or immediate family), you need a license.  Also, everyone (including the owner and immediate family) is required to obey the season, size requirement, and creel limit as dictated by the general fishing regulations of New York.

fishman

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 05:48 PM »
last summer i was doing something similar.  i was fishing lake durant, in the adirondacks, and tried so many things with no results that i decided to fish for panfish and gills.  i had an ultralight rod w/ 3# or 4# line and reeling in a medium size perch (5-7 in) when i saw a flash in the water and my rod bent in half and my reel screeched, then the line snapped.  so this got me thinking.  i got my m/h baitcating rod w/ a large hook and hooked the perch under the dorsal fin and then under a large bobber and cast it out and let it sit.  a few minutes later, nice big bass hits and i lose it right at shore.  this ends up happening four more times in the day.  there are time when live bait is the only answer.  oh and this  was in season
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:45 PM »
ya this pond is about 1000 yards away from any road down through fields and brush...the nearest road is a dirt one....i always fish this pond whenever, i never keep the fish out of it, and im not related to the guy who owns it.....i thought bass season was open so whatever i dont really care about it enough to worry myself.....even if i ever did see a dec officer down there which would be highly unlikely i dont think he would give 2 17 year old kids a hard time about it out in the middle of a field but who knows.....awesome way of fishing  ;D

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 06:23 AM »
page 9 in the regulations guide:

black bass-3rd saturday in june through nov.30th

dec. 1st through friday preceding the 3rd sat. in june------catch and release only------artificial lures only

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 10:22 AM »
is a black bass the same thing as a largemouth??

howesfc

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 11:22 AM »
You need to either read your New York Freshwater Fishing 2008-2009 Official Regulations Guide or get one and read it.
And yes Largemouth and Smallmouth are Black bass.

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 12:21 PM »
You need to either read your New York Freshwater Fishing 2008-2009 Official Regulations Guide or get one and read it.
And yes Largemouth and Smallmouth are Black bass.
ya im really not all that concerned about it its is all said and done with. nothing i can do about it its not like i was keeping the fish or hurting them in anyway so i dont understand what the big deal was...like i said its a farm pond that i can cast across and we are just two 17 year old kids who got bored....i dont study the reg. book because i dont fish for bass that much besides in this pond... it was just a story i thought i would share with you guys i didnt mean for it to be taken in any offense by anyone and im sorry if it did offend anyone.

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 12:35 PM »
I don't think anyone took offense to it. Some are trying to help out. Some eco's might ticket you just for targeting bass. I think it is up to there discretion to decide if you are targeting them out of season. They really shouldn't be disturbed during the spawn. We are just sharing knowledge and trying to save each other from getting tickets. It definitely sounds like a fun day though. Thanks for sharing.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.