FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Confidence  (Read 3477 times)

devil-man

Re: Confidence
« Reply #15 on: Jun 06, 2006, 05:01 PM »
D-MAN - AWESOME POST.  I hope everyone reads and re-reads it again.

I humbly thank you and hope so, too.  8)

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 06, 2006, 05:06 PM »
Scansy
Next time you go north try the biggest mister twister you can find in white or yellow with a spinner blade .
Evrey place that I have used a johnson silver minnow and the pike were hitting it they would also hit a mister twister even when the hit on the minnow was slow .

fishboy

« Reply #17 on: Jun 07, 2006, 11:45 AM »
Excellent topic!  I do agree with it for the most part.  However I have to say that most of my fishing time, lately, is almost always with the clock ticking in the background.  i.e. I have to be home by noon or back before the kids bedtime in the evening.  Rarely do I get the marathon days I love oh so much.  Mostly just a few hours squeezed in an otherwise busy day.  I find that I just don't have all that much time to experiment.  Also I'll offer this, When I was a boy and my family would fish Oneida lake for walleyes and bass and occasionally perch, my uncle never fished with anything but an Acme Kastmaster.  Cast it, jig it, you name it. and more often than not he would out fish us all.  There just seems to be something about just having confidence in what your using that you don't mind pushing it all day long.  On the absolute opposite end of the spectrum is a friend of mine that spends so much time changing lures he hardly fishes, and rarely catches very many fish.  I always try to be somewhere in between.  Hard headed enough to wear the paint off a jig in a day but smart enough to know when it just ain't working.  Isn't that why they call it fishing, cause like the lottery you just never know?
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #18 on: Jun 08, 2006, 07:28 AM »
Scansy
Next time you go north try the biggest mister twister you can find in white or yellow with a spinner blade .
Evrey place that I have used a johnson silver minnow and the pike were hitting it they would also hit a mister twister even when the hit on the minnow was slow .

I'll keep that in mind.  We already carry the mister twisters to jig up walleyes.  I can just carry the spinner blades.  I have caught pike as big as 40-45" range while jiging for eyes - on 8 pound test with lighter reels and rods.  It's funny how you can be catching walleyes like crazy jigging, then all of a sudden they just stop.  Usually, we will catch a couple of pike - or lose a jig to the teeth - the pike are cruising through looking for dinner and they eyes are hiding.

Mostly just a few hours squeezed in an otherwise busy day.

How true that is!!!  I now always have a rod, waders and some basic tackle with me at all times.  If my daily work travels take me past a stream, pond, lake, etc that I know of, I will stop and make a few casts.  Sometimes it's the only chance I will have to fish for a week.

fishboy

« Reply #19 on: Jun 13, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Just wanted to share a little "out of the box" experiment I tried yesterday.  We were drifting crawler harnesses for walleyes and having decent luck.  different colors were all working but as always a few better than others.  I read a while back about adding a flutter spoon above the harness for added flash.  I've always wanted to try it, so I dug around in my bag and all I could find was a copper colored lake clear wabbler so I put it about 18 " from the sinker and maybe 48" from the harnes and it worked awesome.  I took three walleyes on it and several perch both white and yellow.  Gonna have to try it more often!

Tighlines
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

devil-man

« Reply #20 on: Jun 13, 2006, 01:59 PM »
That's very cool. See what happens?
A little experimentation (and luck) often make good things happen...

oldken

• oldken
« Reply #21 on: Jun 13, 2006, 07:44 PM »
i almost always use a white mister twister curly tail grub on my johnson silver minnow works great on northerns old ken

mcully

« Reply #22 on: Jun 14, 2006, 09:52 AM »
No wacky rigged senko? You gotta give it some more time. If they are on it they are all over it. Use a #6 or 7 split ring halfway up the senko and slide a #3 or 4 hook under the ring and just cast and let it fall when it hits bottom pop it up a few times and let it fall again. The ring will keep you from going through a ton of worms on the hookset. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the chatterbait around docks and shallow wood. Small swimbaits have found a spot in the box too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.