FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512986 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3180 on: Sep 30, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Bob Im pretty sure all the samples she gave me can be planted...
Im going to have to mark all my rows this year....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3181 on: Oct 01, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Picked up my seed garlic this afternoon.

Don't know how many cloves there are. Probably over a hundred. Most are bigger than my thumb. $10 total. All German hardneck.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #3182 on: Oct 01, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Good looking garlic guys. I've never plated it by my wife uses it a lot. Garlic  is a fall planting, correct? 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3183 on: Oct 01, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Pretty easy Bart. Pick a good drained spot and buy some seed garlic and plant it this month.... ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3184 on: Oct 01, 2019, 05:22 PM »
Yup! Easy and very rewarding.  Plant this month. Pointed side up...I plant mine in about a 5" grid, 2-3" deep. I cover the bed with plastic hardware cloth and mulch with leaf litter about 6" deep for the winter. Peel the screen and mulch off in March or when the soil gets to 40 degrees or so. Basically when everything is thawed out.

I cut the scapes off when they form ( great in salads) and pull when the leaves are about half yellowed. Usually in mid July.

Best to rotate beds every year. I get my seed from a local farm market. It's just the garlic that they grow to sell. Any hardneck variety is suitable for fall planting.

Don't try to plant garlic from the super market. It's treated to resist sprouting. Organically grown might work, but I prefer farm market grown.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #3185 on: Oct 02, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be heading to the farm market this weekend. I just cleared out my garden for the year so plenty of space. 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3186 on: Oct 04, 2019, 05:14 PM »
Dont know if it will help but just covered 6 of my beds.  All ready down to 40*.. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3187 on: Oct 04, 2019, 06:30 PM »
I'm letting mine go. If they take a hit, it's no great loss for me. They're saying 35 and patchy frost , but we'll see. Picked another big bag of wax beans last evening. Still have a bunch of peppers on the plants. Other than that it's just the flower gardens.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3188 on: Oct 05, 2019, 07:15 AM »
Well if all my green tomatoes didnt freeze i will be making pickled green tomatoes tomorrow....Should have just picked them last night but didnt have the gumption... :-\

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3189 on: Oct 06, 2019, 03:56 AM »
No real frost here. Everything is still fine out there.  Although, our flowers are looking pretty sad. I'll have some fall planting to do next weekend. Need to transplant the sedum from the front garden to the back yard near the vegetable gardens. It got way too big for that planting. I'm also going to dig up my dahlias to try and save the tubers for next season. I've already harvested marigold seeds and Cardinal Climbers seeds. Basil and oregano are drying nicely in the basement.

Moved 90% of the wood shop back to the basement yesterday. Bought a leaf bagger for the tractor. My guess is the leaves will be dropping fast in the next couple weeks.

Fall is definitely here!

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #3190 on: Oct 06, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Yup, every year I wait patiently for the first "killing" frost.
Then my hay fever goes into it's winter hibernation for another year.
It's been brutal the past 2 days.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3191 on: Oct 06, 2019, 02:21 PM »
Just got done harvesting almost everything that survived.....   

Lots of cucumbers,  and green tomatoes..

Lots of green tomatoes which are sitting in salt for 3 or 4 hours and will be pickled  and jarred  later...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3192 on: Oct 06, 2019, 03:52 PM »
Nice haul! Tried pickling green tomatoes once. Not very good results. Maybe next year.

On another note, I finally found a yellow jacket trap that really works.

4 day total.

Terro reusable trap.

Worth every cent of $9.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3193 on: Oct 07, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Got stung twice on Saturday Bob.   There everywhere......

Made 11 jars of pickled green tomatoes yesterday.. 

And my bride made me this .... ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3194 on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:47 AM »
Made an apple pie just the other day. My son works on an apple farm and brought me a few big bags of apples. Macs, honey crisp, gala and fuji.

I'm gonna smoke a few honey crisps this weekend.  I'll stuff them with brown sugar, butter and bacon bits.

The smoked garlic, cayennes and firecracker peppers turned out great. I ground the peppers this morning. Looks like a killer seasoning to me. It's  got a really nice smoked heat. And it's HOT!

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.