FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: If you could move anywhere in the U.S. or Canada just for the fishing  (Read 7478 times)

Mac Attack

So roughly where is that? Don't need to be specific.

I'm thinking Indiana.

Luv2Fish

i got it good.I live in western ny near lake erie (walleye, perch ) and have a camp on chaumont bay ( lake ontario, salmonoids and walleye and perch) great soft and hard water fishing for any fresh water fish other than stripers but my son lives in albany near hudson river , that being said it'd take alot to move me but the border of minnesota /iowa looks interesting andi'd  like to explore that   ;)

boondox

Ironic I'm thinking of retiring in your part of the country in a few years. Not enough quality coldwater fishing for me here and I don't like to have to drive several hours to the Great Lakes.

Might want to consider a few thing when you move like hospitals are they close enough..  also house size I know as we get older stuff get harder to do.. like my parent there looking at houses and noticed the size of their house is harder to take care of now then it ever was.. and if you get older the harder it gets..  so think about up keep and land size up like aluminum siding vrsus having to paint wood siding every 5 years.. or having mow prune 5 acres versus .5 acres just stuff to think about that's why we stay around here but are not able to find smaller homes in this area were we live  most are two story 2000 sq ft  homes were walking up stairs is harder as you get older.. that's why there looking else ware and florida come to mind on land size and house sizes are perfect but hurricanes lizards ,bugs , and heat just turn us off that and sink holes so we're still searching may end out north of rochester hills..  here in michigan will see you got access to some very clean water like  have access to lake huron lake st clair and the detroit river and St clair rivers .. and tons of hospitals  and if willing to drive south you got erie etc .. if you have been to erie or huron you would pick huron..  for fishing that much cleaner water.. living between two is not bad either.. the last thing would be schools cause your retired and should not matter much unless your retired with kids lol's .... don't think it happens to offten.. do your self a favor and research areas you plan to move like in michigan I don't think we have that many tornados..  water spouts do happen but tornados barely ever.. I think your more likely to get lightining then tornados around here..

taxid

Boondox,

All good points but I'm well aware of the issues that crop up when you get older. My parents live on my property in an apartment above my garage, and I've been able to see those issues first hand as one is pushing 80 and the other is 82. That said my wife is very overweight and has arthritis so that will play a part.

No worries about getting something bigger due to the lower appraisals for homes out here in the midwest vs. New England except for probably Maine. My property here in Indiana on three acres wth a three car garage and four ponds is appraised at about $260,000 whereas in say Massachusetts that wouldn't get me anything near that.

At least I'm not considering moving to California where 250 grand would get me only a shack!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

boondox

Boondox,

All good points but I'm well aware of the issues that crop up when you get older. My parents live on my property in an apartment above my garage, and I've been able to see those issues first hand as one is pushing 80 and the other is 82. That said my wife is very overweight and has arthritis so that will play a part.

No worries about getting something bigger due the and the lower appraisals for homes out here in the midwest vs. New England except for probably Maine. My property here in Indiana on three acres wth a three car garage and four ponds is appraised at about $260,000 whereas in say Massachusetts that wouldn't get me anything near that.

At least I'm not considering moving to California where 250 grand would get me only a shack!

Very ture last I heard a 1 bed appt was renting for $1,500 a month in California..   don't under estimate Caralina as in North or south plenty of ocean water to fish  gem hunting.. can't remember if trout fishing goes that far south if tu did research cause I think water to warm that far south.. blue fin tuna etc happens there so why worry lol's..  same with Georgia they got coast for fishing to.. the thing about florida is sea level and most places are like 3 foot above sea level thete except ocala area my cousins live in spring hill south of ocala and we're not effected by that hurricane at all..  they did not even lose power.. but their 15 to 20 foot above sea level.. if you mover to floirda watch the sink hole maps and sea level but you said your not intrested so I will leave it alone lol's ..

taxid

I've lived in NC (Ft. Bragg/ Fayetteville) when my dad was in the military and they do have trout fishing in the mountains and at least one highland reservoir for trout. 

Been to Florida many times when the parents had a condo there. Just doesn't do anything for me. Too many people for me. And the drivers are absolutely insane. A resident in the condo had two guide dogs run over by people that had no concept of a red light.

I have to have at least hilly terrain and snow and ice fishing in the winter. My formative years were in Massachusetts so probably why I gravitate to New England.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

boondox

I've lived in NC (Ft. Bragg/ Fayetteville) when my dad was in the military and they do have trout fishing in the mountains and at least one highland reservoir for trout. 

Been to Florida many times when the parents had a condo there. Just doesn't do anything for me. Too many people for me. And the drivers are absolutely insane. A resident in the condo has two guide dogs run over by people that had no concept of a red light.

I have to have at least hilly terrain and snow and ice fishing in the winter. My formative years were in Massachusetts so probably why I gravitate to New England.

Correct worst drivers in country my aunt was killed by drunk driver on way to work one morning in florida.. what about Maine I know you said mass is why I say it..

taxid

First off very sorry to hear about your aunt. That's horrible.

Yeah Maine would be great. Lower taxes, lower cost of living, better housing prices, more remote fishing than Mass. And it may ultimately be Maine. The only downside is I will only be able to raise trout as Maine Inland Fisheries is paranoid of the other species I raise like yellow perch, bluegill, and crappie. Was told even rearing them indoors would be a no no by researcher.

lowaccord66

Im in Orlando now for work.  Not really for me but I am adaptable.  I have seen a few ponds here I'd love to cast into!  They look so fishy!

Mac Attack

Im in Orlando now for work.  Not really for me but I am adaptable.  I have seen a few ponds here I'd love to cast into!  They look so fishy!

Love Florida, just not the interior, like Orlando.
Anything more than 10 miles from the coast is too far.
The ocean and gulf breezes make a huge difference.

boondox

To bad your not by MiamI they planted peacock bass in some of the water bodies.. on the bucket list of stuff to do..

taxid

I've mounted a few of those for customers that fished down there. A cool looking fish and not difficult to mount or paint using a photograph.

lowaccord66

Love Florida, just not the interior, like Orlando.
Anything more than 10 miles from the coast is too far.
The ocean and gulf breezes make a huge difference.

Orlando is hot.   Flying back in a few hours!

Mac Attack

Orlando is hot.   Flying back in a few hours!

nice in Winter.
but not so nice the rest of the year.

boondox

I've mounted a few of those for customers that fished down there. A cool looking fish and not difficult to mount or paint using a photograph.

There is other fish in that same area that were planted to not sure off hand a few were very intresting and different looking.. all form the amazon ... I think 3 to 5 different species .. if you google miami, fl peacock bass fishing  it bring up a few sites with pictures of the target spieces on it.. any how would be intresting to bread some of them if you ask me.. would be a tad different then perch same with blue gills .. you got to remember if there no ice the boat gets extra hours and not stored over the winter like up here so there are pluses. And minuses  to it all..  but you like the north so don't let any thing I say stop you..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.