FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: any help on catchin lakers  (Read 1362 times)

logan

• die hard all american fisherman
any help on catchin lakers
« on: Aug 27, 2008, 09:19 PM »
hey guys i was wonderin whats the best way to catch lakers this time of year on newfound lake????  any help would be appreciated

thanks
logan

troutaddict33

Re: any help on catchin lakers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2008, 10:16 PM »
how big of a lake is it, how deep does it get, and whats the average laker size youde catch there (limit size/number???) And what equip do u have to use riggers? leadcore? copper?

logan

• die hard all american fisherman
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2008, 11:38 PM »
its a decent size lake its probably 4000+ acres average depth is 75  but deepest is 180

Bailbuster

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2008, 05:50 AM »
I would fish very close to the bottom ,with bait or spoons around the hump on the north end in front of Owls head.There is another hump in the cove on the east shore we have done very well in sept.in these spots .we pull suttons and records on copper but if you get it near the bottom you should do ok.Don't be afraid to lose a lure or 2. BB

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2008, 06:16 AM »
troll sloooooooooow!

I did really well on DB's and mooselooks..

Orange/blk dots/copper back (we nicknamed it "chief's special)
orange/silver/
orange
sil/purp/blk
mother of pearl

all these colors where the most productive for me on lead core. I did not "yank" the bottom but I was draging the lead on the bottom at times when I had a known school of lakers pin pointed on the GPS.  This did work for me at times.
Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

JIGGIN

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2008, 07:17 PM »
The best way to fish for lakers on Newfound this time of year is to drag bottom with copper line and sutton spoons (single hooks) or sewn on bait such as sucker or river chugs. Pay out line till you hit bottom and start jerking keeping tension on your line. If you think your going slow enough, slow down even more. Right now, I would troll anywhere from 35 - 65 FOW.

There's been one 8 lb'er caught this year and just recently rumor has it a 14 lb'er!

Good luck!
JIGGIN.
Go Go Get Em!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.