FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A few good hours on No Name Pond  (Read 1098 times)

knurren

• What of it?!
A few good hours on No Name Pond
« on: Sep 06, 2008, 12:38 PM »
I decided to try the night bite.  It was about 80* and with a very light breeze.  Shortly after launching, I started hearing the tell tale sounds of bass feeding.  To be honest it sounded more violent and frequent than I was used to hearing at other places.  Started with the black jitterbug and within the first couple casts, I ended up with this little guy.  I knew it was a smallmouth because it jumped about 5 times.

I unhooked him and sent him on his way.  The very next cast I hooked up with this largemouth in the same area. 

The next cast, I lost my black jitterbug.  I remembered reading Jibbs posts about buying lures in threes, and I actually stopped at Wildlife Taxidermy with the intention of buying 2 more... no dice, they didn't have any.  So I lost my only black jitterbug.   :-\ 

I didn't loose it how you might expect.  The braided line is pretty slick, and when you retrieve lures on a spinning reel without a lot of pressure, the line doen't load on the reel properly.  I went to cast and the line got hung up on itself on the reel... those two fish had already done a number on loosening my improved clench, so the lure just went flying to god knows where.  I tried to find it with my spot light... as I was motoring along to where I though it was... I heard a bass hit it.  lol... too bad the line was all screwed because that would have been bass number 3.  I tied on one of my other jitterbugs and the fish just weren't interested for some reason.  I decided to take it out of the water and dry it off.  I had a black magic marker, and I tried to color the belly of it a little bit.  Then I hooked up with a small, but my best smallmouth of the year.

I decided to try some of those zoom frogs.  I bought them at Wildlife since I couldn't find the jitterbugs.  I figured I could toss them up into the weeds.  I wanted 4/0 hooks... they didn't have any.  So I settled on 3/0.  Have I mentioned that Wildlife Taxidermy is messing up by not stocking stuff?  NO BLACK JITTERBUGS OR 4/0 HOOKS... HOW MUCH MORE BASIC COULD YOU GET?

Anyway.  2nd cast with the frog and something blew up on it.  I missed it.  It was the same problem CaptSpike and I had before of getting that hook through the meat of the frog.  Even with that groove, it has been hard to get a good hook set.  I cast again and I get a hit in about the same spot.  I gave the fish at least 1 whole second and slammed it.  Finally got a good hook set in the lower lip and my last landed bass of the night.

All in all a fun night.  I would do it again tonight, but with the weather rolling in, I don't think they'd be biting and I don't think I'd have a lot of fun.  I plan on bass fishing more this fall... it's just more fun to me right now.  And if bass fishing only gets better like a lot of people say, then it makes my decision pretty easy I guess.
Live free or die trying.

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
Re: A few good hours on No Name Pond
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Hey John,

Thanks for the report, glad to see you got out this weekend and got some fish ;)

CSpike

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2008, 04:37 PM »
I knew that place would be a good night pond. I have to try it before the nights start not producing.

Spike

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2008, 05:36 PM »
I didn't get out this am, I slept in.  I just looked outside, Keith.  The boat is still in the back of my truck with the plug in it and the boat is FULL of rain water.  lol... I'm going to have to pull the plug when I take the dog out in a little bit.

Live free or die trying.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.