FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Homemade smoker?  (Read 13160 times)

FisherGirl

• Thank God for fish.
Homemade smoker?
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:24 PM »
I am looking to make a smoker- I don't have an old fridge, but I was thinkin' about an aluminum garbage can?  Anyone ever made a smoker out of one of these or have any other ideas? 
HeeeEEEeeer fishy fishy fishy...

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: Homemade smoker?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 03:02 PM »
I'd say ditch the garbage can idea....look around your area,  there is usually someone around who sell barrels..they will work 10x better then a garbage can and are probably cheaper...around $10

Look for people advertising for rain barrels and such...they may not have what your looking for but can probably point you  in the right direction.....and make sure the people are not selling plastic barrels, I made a trip once only to be let down.

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 03:36 PM »
how big of a smoker are you looking to make? the only reason i ask is because most places have basic charcoal units for around 44.99, and electric units for 59.99

i have a borrowed book on smoking called home book of smoke cooking meat fish and game that has a section on building a smoker. the suggest using a wheelbarrow, cardboard wood or metal box, an old shed (lol), fridge, old electric stove, barrel,cinder blocks.

here is an example of one i found on the net that turned out good

http://www.theworkshop.ca/ruralskills/Smoker/smoker.htm

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 03:46 PM »
As a chef myself, I kneel before the greatness that is Chef Alton Brown.  Here are the plans and photos for his garbage can smoker.

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

billybono

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 08:16 PM »
that did come out nice, but for the money he put into it, you could buy the 60 dollar brinkman

billybono

FisherGirl

• Thank God for fish.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 11:25 PM »
As a chef myself, I kneel before the greatness that is Chef Alton Brown.  Here are the plans and photos for his garbage can smoker.

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

Do you think you could put in an extra grate in this set up??  Or is there usually only one grate in smokers? 
HeeeEEEeeer fishy fishy fishy...

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 05:43 AM »
You can add more grates.  ;)
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

OTIS

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 05:46 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  By adding a couple additional grates you could smoke a serious amount of food!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 03:20 PM »
I already brought this idea on here a coupel of months ago, with the trash can. It was pretty shot down and everyone said use caution. I looked up galvenized zinc and couldnt find anything harmful about it. but liek it was said b4, just buy the real thing for 60$

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Polar

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 04:49 PM »
I have been cutting and curing meat for 20 years. Small smokers are o.k. the drawbacks are with charcol fired ones is your heat range can't be regulated.(too hot or to cold) You need the temp to stay at 200 degrees. Next comes when making snack stick and other products (fish ect) is you need to hang the meat. reason behind this is when the internal temperature starts reaching 150 or so some grease will begin to collect between casing and meat. In my opinion find yourself a porcelain lined refrigerator you be alot happier with the results.

billybono

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 04:51 PM »
I have been cutting and curing meat for 20 years. Small smokers are o.k. the drawbacks are with charcol fired ones is your heat range can't be regulated.(too hot or to cold) You need the temp to stay at 200 degrees. Next comes when making snack stick and other products (fish ect) is you need to hang the meat. reason behind this is when the internal temperature starts reaching 150 or so some grease will begin to collect between casing and meat. In my opinion find yourself a porcelain lined refrigerator you be alot happier with the results.

have you ever cold smoked fish???? how did it turn out

im leaving to buy the 60 dollar electric model right now.....ill post pics

billybono

esox slayer

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 04:52 PM »
I already brought this idea on here a coupel of months ago, with the trash can. It was pretty shot down and everyone said use caution. I looked up galvenized zinc and couldnt find anything harmful about it. but liek it was said b4, just buy the real thing for 60$

PikeM...I know from experience that welding on anything galvanized can make you sicker than you've ever been before.  I know that temps on a smoker would never get near those temps..but I'd shy away from anything galvanized in connection with food...just my .02//Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

Polar

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 04:58 PM »
have you ever cold smoked fish???? how did it turn out

im leaving to buy the 60 dollar electric model right now.....ill post pics

billybono

I cold smoke fish all the time they come out great. Just make sure you get your brine mixture right. If you need any help shoot me a pm.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 06:09 PM »
PikeM...I know from experience that welding on anything galvanized can make you sicker than you've ever been before.  I know that temps on a smoker would never get near those temps..but I'd shy away from anything galvanized in connection with food...just my .02//Esox

thanks esox, i couldnt find anything myself, but ill take your word. im new to the smoking thing and would hate to put my time into something that makes me sick

Fishing is life

MIRC!

billybono

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 06:25 PM »
thanks esox, i couldnt find anything myself, but ill take your word. im new to the smoking thing and would hate to put my time into something that makes me sick

essox is right...its nasty stuff  http://www.vitaminsdiary.com/metal-fume-fever.html
got the smoker putting it together now...not the 60dollar model though. a real nice propane one. ill post pics ofter i finish putting her together

any easy dry rub recipies for trout? i bought some emerils fish rub,  and some chef pauls magic salmon seasoning. prefer to try a rub instead of a brine this time

billybono

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.