FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Salmon recipes  (Read 3784 times)

devil-man

Salmon recipes
« on: Jul 17, 2006, 04:30 PM »
I looked through this whole section and didn't find anything mentioning Salmon.
So here it is!

Last Friday I went out on the Big O and caught a small (2-3 #) King. My host (GAMBELL) suggested preparing it this way, so I gave it a try.

-Fillet and skin fish in the normal way
-Marinate in zesty Italian dressing (I left mine in overnight, probably a little too long)
-Rinse and pat dry, place on foil
-Season to taste
-Grill on high heat (I poked holes in the foil to allow the liquids to drain) for five to eight minutes on each side

It turned out well.  ;D
Very different from what I'm used to, but I enjoy trying new things.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Salmon recipes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2006, 04:51 PM »

-Marinate in zesty Italian dressing (I left mine in overnight, probably a little too long)

Why too long?  Was the italian taste too strong?

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2006, 07:30 PM »
Was the italian taste too strong?
A little...
1-2 hrs would probably be about right.

fishryc

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2006, 11:17 AM »

Lake Ontario Salmon, in regards to pallatability, and by most persons taste, is not recommended for human consumption.

The DEC also advises, not recommended for human consumption (Guidelines from regulation book: "Eat none").

However, I'll have a small portion each year prepared by my Mother in Law off of her smoker. She marinates it in some sauces to kill the taste, then uses apple wood for the smoke. It is pretty good, I must admit.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

slipbob

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2006, 11:21 AM »
Try the same thing with the ginger, soy sauce, garlic and orange juice marinade.  It's the "classic" for trout and salmon filets and works very, very well with the flavors of those fish when grilled.  Just don't skin it and grill it "skin side" down.  The only drawback might be the contaminants from Lake "O" that could be left over from leaving the skin on :o

devil-man

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2006, 12:45 PM »
This was a small fish, most likely stocked this year.
And I'm really not too worried about contaminants anyway.  8)

I thought the flesh itself tasted pretty d**n good.

BlindSquirrel

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2006, 02:44 PM »
With a bigger fish, steak it up, then take your fillet knife and cut off the skin and about a 1/8 inch of meat from the steak.  While you’re at it cut off anything left from the belly section.  There will still be a strip of dark meat along each side, cut it out.  This steak will not be picture perfect, but it will remove almost all of the bad tastes, and arguably most of the contaminates.

Take the stakes and marinate them several hours in a very watered down BBQ sauce, if you can do this under pressure even better.

Grill the steaks in a basket.  Add smoke chips for flavor if desired.

When the fish is about half done brush on some BBQ sauce and finish cooking.  If you put the sauce on too soon it will burn.
How shall I amuse myself today?

MXFisher

• One more cast!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2006, 03:47 PM »
I also cooked the fish I got from Lake O like D-man. Mine was marinded about 2-3 hours, I didn't pat mine dry though, I poured the maranide right on it. I cook mine on tin foil on the grill, about 7 minutes a side. It was good.

Fishryc, I was looking thru the book before I ate the salmon and couldn't find and thing about King salmon in there. The did say to stay away from big lake trout and only eat a few small lakers, though I won't be eating one anytime soon. It did say something about chinhook salmon. Are King salmon and chinhook slamon one in the same?

Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2006, 08:13 PM »
A study was just done by a private organization about this issue.  If you filet them right, the contamination levels in Lake O salmon is actually less than store baught and farm raised salmon.  If you trim all of the belly fat the filets are fine. 

slipbob

« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2006, 12:25 PM »
A study was just done by a private organization about this issue.  If you filet them right, the contamination levels in Lake O salmon is actually less than store baught and farm raised salmon.  If you trim all of the belly fat the filets are fine. 

I believe that.  Mercury is about the only contaminant you can't get rid of by removing fat and skin which really scares me due to the large amounts of fish I consume on a weekly basis. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.