FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513378 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1785 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Wish I had a bid old greenhouse to play in.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1786 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Thanks Bill...   Hows that indoor thing you have going?

Bob these are in my great room in front of the sliding doors...
No heated greenhouses this time of year...    Another couple weeks... ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1787 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:45 AM »
That's another problem for me Dom, I'm out of Windows to put plants in.  ;D

I rescued a couple of orphan violets from the $.50 shelf at Lowes a couple weeks ago. My Bride just shook her head. Our kitchen table is in full southern light of the big picture window. Good thing there's normally only two of us for dinner. We share it with several plants.

I keep threatening to build plant shelves across the living room windows for my violets. I have 7 of them now and it's perfect north light for them.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1788 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:39 AM »
The Heirloom tomato is still producing, Dom.

They're a year old now.  We're still picking about a dozen little tomatoes a week and still holding blossoms.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1789 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:53 AM »
We're a little disappointed with the other one, though. After the lettuce varieties matured we bought some new blank pods to try other things.

We've had no luck with anything. The pods mold (green) before anything germinates and nothing grows. We've sterilized the unit, cleaned it with bleach, and tried distilled water even though we have straight well water.

Makes no difference. I think the pods were contaminated at the factory. >:(
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1790 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Nice..
I had a nasty grocery store tomato on my ham and cheese sandwich for lunch and it was terrible.. .. :P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1791 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:17 PM »
I feel your pain Dom. I finally broke down and bought a few tomatoes for salads.

I miss my garden.

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #1792 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:18 AM »
hello seasoned gardeners, when do you start planting seed indoors? I am thinking about attempting it this year. Can always buy plants if it doesn't work out. I ma hoping to plant into the raised beds around Memorial Day.

I have a few blue indoor grow bulbs to try out.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1793 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:18 AM »
It depends upon the plant, but  I generally start around the middle of March, and I don't transplant until the true Memorial Day.  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1794 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:19 PM »
I won't be starting indoors this year. Towards spring I'll be building a raised trough planter with a cover. It'll serve as a hot box for germinating plants and later as a planter for veggies. I plan on a clear corrugated plastic cover with temperature activated openers.

Starting indoors is fine if you're careful about hardening off the seedlings.

I'll admit it's fun to watch them sprout up, but it stinks when they don't survive the transition.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #1795 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:35 PM »

.......... but it stinks when they don't survive the transition.

Rg

BOOM!

I concur.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1796 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:42 PM »
It's probably my fault for starting too early and trying to harden off plants that were too far along. In any event, year after year I struggle with frosts and replanting to replace plants I started. I'm hoping to avoid that mistake this year.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1797 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Toga, now that I have time, here's my method.

I always start my seeds in 6-packs like you'd buy plants in at the garden center. I use a good quality starter mix level to the top when dry.  Then I thoroughly wet them in. Once the water has soaked through I add the seeds.

Using the eraser end of a pencil, I make a hole in the center of each pod about 1/2" deep. Using tweezers, I put at least 3 seeds in each hole and lightly tamp the starter mix around the hole to cover the seeds.

I put the 6-packs in trays, cover them with clear plastic, and put them under a light in a warm place. Don't touch them again until the sprouts touch the plastic.

Now the work begins with daily watering and temperature control.

Once the second leaves appear, I thin the plants. I leave the healthiest looking alone, and gently pull the others from each pod. Not being one to waste, I transplant the culled sprouts to new 6-packs. They usually survive and do quite well.

Theoretically, I triple my initial planting and end up with enough plants to fill in garden losses and give away to friends.

I move them into the outside green house around mid-April, once the night temps tend to stay above freezing. If it's a cold night, I heat the greenhouse with a 300w light bulb that we call the midnight sun.

I hope this helps, and good luck.  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1798 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:15 AM »
What do you have for a greenhouse Bill?

Now you've got me pondering a heat source for the trough. ;)

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1799 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:18 AM »
It's just a portable 49" x 74" like this one.

I set it up on the deck on foil-lined foam board to insulate the floor. I also add a rack of shelves in the back. Our deck faces the south-east, so it catches the morning sun right through the afternoon, but is shaded from the killer late afternoon/ evening sun that can turn it into an oven if you're not careful. This will be our sixth season on this one.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.