FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How to tie a hair rig  (Read 1415 times)

timeflies

How to tie a hair rig
« on: Mar 09, 2018, 12:57 PM »
made a video on how to tie a hair rig, in my opionion these with a circle hook are the best rig for carp, i myself have about a 90% hookup and landing ratio with these, hopefully someone finds this useful - Gator

​​​​​​​

striper50trout

• Fish hard, live long!
Re: How to tie a hair rig
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Thanks for the video. Gonna tie up a few and try for carp one of these days.

timeflies

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2018, 12:20 AM »
Hey glad I could help! Carp are awesome fun on a rod and reel, hardest fighting freshwater fish I’ve ever met by a large margin, i got a 20lbr one time that kept running me out for 25 minutes

Birdog1340

• I say we fish five days a week and work two!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:21 PM »
Hey, Thanks for the video.  I wanted to try carp fishing this year and this will be a help.  Thanks for sharing. 

ICEHOLE

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:43 PM »
I prefer super sharp curved shank hooks. I have never had anything but lip hooks. good video for people to learn from.Hair rig is a must when carp fishing IMO more important would be a video on safety lead clips. break away weights are pretty important when you break off.  a lot of ways to get the job done but some are better for the fish then others
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

timeflies

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2018, 12:21 AM »
Thanks guys! And ice hole i use a free running egg sinker so if i’m ever broken off the weight either stays on my main line or is allowed to fall off but break aways are definitely an option!

ICEHOLE

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Thanks guys! And ice hole i use a free running egg sinker so if i’m ever broken off the weight either stays on my main line or is allowed to fall off but break aways are definitely an option!
you will find a rig that drives the hook home immediately will give you less if any gut hooks. I started like you with a slip sinker, but 2 inches down i had a split shot as a stopper making it a "bolt rig" worked great, but no safe way to eject the lead on break offs. But fish were never able to drop the bait without the hook staying put. I am hoping I get an oppurtunity in may to fish the CT river with some pros. These guys catch fish on a nightly basis that people wont see in their lifetimes..I dont even care if I fish, I just want to observe, learn and take notes

Bass to mouth

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:07 PM »
I try to keep that loop on the hair as small as possible. I also fish the safety clip not just for when a breakaway occurs. Main purpose for the clip is it will thud the hook into the carps lip. Now to do that right the swivel needs to be squeezed into the clip so theres NO free run, I use 4"- 8" leader. A 1.5ft leader seems bazaar but hey whatever works, I heard some people say give them enough to hang themselves. I also use no less than 2oz on the clip. Im still very new to carp but I had great success last year. Once I got it I had that lightbulb moment.

ICEHOLE

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:50 AM »
weight to hook i dont want more then a few inches myself, and I do fine with 1oz if i am not fishing at range or in current

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.