FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The chu  (Read 35642 times)

CMD1987

Re: The chu
« Reply #210 on: Apr 19, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Thanks guys. Planning my first trip there this weekend. I still need some metals but the live bait gig is good to go. I have small /med shiners and night crawlers and will try both on the bottom as well as under a float. Would like to get a salmon as well.

Good luck. I agree with shiner under bobber for best shot at salmon, no guarantee, but always a possibility...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #211 on: Apr 19, 2018, 03:44 PM »
certain areas hold salmon consistantly others a crap shoot. just need to know where to look.

taxid

« Reply #212 on: Apr 19, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Speaking of bobbers do you guys ever use slip bobbers when the fish go deeper? I showed this to a friend in Mass years ago and he caught 6 lb. plus brown suspended in 25 feet of water over 50 feet of water in Mirror Lake at Devens the first time he tried it.  He wasn't familiar with them before I showed him. These rigs are killer when fish are suspended in deep water and even very effective if you suspend you bait just off the bottom. With the latter you keep moving your stop up the line util your line goes slack. The move the stop down until it tightens up. Then bring in up a few more inches.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #213 on: Apr 19, 2018, 07:18 PM »
I tried slip bobbers but they don't seem to cast very far. Does anyone know of any good casting slip bobbers.

taxid

« Reply #214 on: Apr 19, 2018, 09:55 PM »
I tried slip bobbers but they don't seem to cast very far. Does anyone know of any good casting slip bobbers.

Really? I've never had any issues with them not casting as far as any other bobber. What bobber are you using?

Maybe you just have to use a larger bobber with more weight below it if you need to get out farther?

I will say if you are not fishing above them as in over the side of a boat it can be tough to get a good hook set. 

We use them a lot at night here for night fishing for trout right over the side of the boat. Actually used to. The state is managing what inland coldwater lakes we have left that could produce holdover trout as put and take so I won't even bother to buy a trout stamp anymore.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #215 on: Apr 19, 2018, 10:20 PM »
they were thill but i think i need larger ones. i cant find any big ones at stores so i may have to order them.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #216 on: Apr 19, 2018, 10:30 PM »
Speaking of bobbers do you guys ever use slip bobbers when the fish go deeper? I showed this to a friend in Mass years ago and he caught 6 lb. plus brown suspended in 25 feet of water over 50 feet of water in Mirror Lake at Devens the first time he tried it.  He wasn't familiar with them before I showed him. These rigs are killer when fish are suspended in deep water and even very effective if you suspend you bait just off the bottom. With the latter you keep moving your stop up the line util your line goes slack. The move the stop down until it tightens up. Then bring in up a few more inches.

We used them for walleyes.

taxid

« Reply #217 on: Apr 19, 2018, 10:44 PM »
We use them for walleyes.

Yep they are dynamite for walleyes. But any fish that suspends they will work well on. I like to use them for night fishing crappies. Was really nailing 13 inch plus black crappies on a Massachusetts lake one summer night.

Baitbucket

« Reply #218 on: Apr 20, 2018, 06:49 AM »
They make weighted slip bobbers as well. I try to use the smallest i can get away with as it will produce the least resistance to submerge when a fish takes your bait. If a salmon feels that pull, they may spit the bait.

I saw a guy in his boat anchored by the barrels at gate 8 at quabbin fishing with 3 other people. They had 8 rods out all with slip bobbers at various depths over 100ft of water. He was up to 8 or 10 salmon by the time i left.

lowaccord66

« Reply #219 on: Apr 20, 2018, 06:52 AM »
Slide sinker under the float before the leader works really well for longer casts.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #220 on: Apr 20, 2018, 08:43 AM »
This thread has been going really well. I'll keep posting trips untill November 30th. ;D

lowaccord66

« Reply #221 on: Apr 20, 2018, 09:32 AM »
It has.  One day Ill have to get down there for some slide bobber action.  Or fly rod smallies...

Ash82

« Reply #222 on: Apr 20, 2018, 11:06 AM »
So last weekend, at the chu, I tried casting with live shiners and had a question. I was hooking a size 2 or 1 hook on the shiner, just below the spine ? and a little behind the dorsal fin. I was losing about 30% of them during the cast. Maybe I am casting wrong but I also saw others lose shiners. There was a big group next to us and one dude there also was losing them.

Is there any trick to not losing them as frequently as I did. I assume I am doing something wrong and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the same.

Baitbucket

« Reply #223 on: Apr 20, 2018, 11:33 AM »
So last weekend, at the chu, I tried casting with live shiners and had a question. I was hooking a size 2 or 1 hook on the shiner, just below the spine ? and a little behind the dorsal fin. I was losing about 30% of them during the cast. Maybe I am casting wrong but I also saw others lose shiners. There was a big group next to us and one dude there also was losing them.

Is there any trick to not losing them as frequently as I did. I assume I am doing something wrong and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the same.

U cant put much force into a cast using live bait. It more of a lob cast. Longer rods help with this type of casting.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #224 on: Apr 20, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Losing them is part of the game LOL. If you can get into some small perch fry they stay on better. I usually hook mine through the eyes or the mouth. Don't lose many.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.