FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A chilly trip in the wind  (Read 2339 times)

franklin fisher

A chilly trip in the wind
« on: Oct 21, 2018, 01:41 PM »
  Set out this morning by myself hoping the wind wouldn't be too bad at sunrise and be able to get on some fish before it picked up. Wish granted. Picked up a few nice Crappie and some Yellow Perch. The bite slowed as the wind picked up so I headed back to the launch at 9:00 with a cooler of fish to filet.  Fish fry tonight after the football game.

seamonkey84

Re: A chilly trip in the wind
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Nice going with the slabs. I find it refreshing seeing people in Maine going for panfish lol. On the boards for other states, it seems crappie and perch are the go to and people think trout and salmon taste bad!
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fish wayniac

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Nice haul Artie! A fish fry sounds good.  .

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Real nice batch of late Fall fish!  Congrats.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Nice going with the slabs. I find it refreshing seeing people in Maine going for panfish lol. On the boards for other states, it seems crappie and perch are the go to and people think trout and salmon taste bad!

Even though I spend a lot of time and money fishing for trout and salmon, crappie and perch are more enjoyable for me to eat. And bullhead too! I spend $10k on a boat to troll coldwater when the best eating fish I can catch with a $20 pole and a $4 tub of nightcrawlers on the shore.  ::)

seamonkey84

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Even though I spend a lot of time and money fishing for trout and salmon, crappie and perch are more enjoyable for me to eat. And bullhead too! I spend $10k on a boat to troll coldwater when the best eating fish I can catch with a $20 pole and a $4 tub of nightcrawlers on the shore.  ::)
I don’t eat much fish, I’m usually C&R only. I prefer fishing for trout, and though I try, mostly a failure when it comes to salmon ::). When I’m not targeting cold water, I’m more often playing with panfish with light tackle than I am bass fishing, still just releasing. On a couple occasions that the bite was really good, perch and crappie have made their way home with me even when I wasn’t planning on it. Guilt free in my books, especially crappie since they are considered invasive, and just about anything fried Is good. It’s just barely anyone in Maine talks about them. I rarely ever run into anyone else that is actually fishing for sunfish or perch. If I do bring home any trout, it’s usually the pan sized ones that were stocked as put and take. Pan sized means pan fried, and fried means good eating lol. Anything bigger from a lake would need to be baked with lots of butter and lemon.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

franklin fisher

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2018, 06:03 PM »
  Thanks for the comments. I grew up wading small streams and brooks for Brook trout. As an adult I started ice fishing with friends and then started ice fishing for warm water species because of the abundance of them and I wanted to get my daughters to be able catch fish. It was great and I grew to love pan fish. Especially White Perch. Then I discovered Crappie fishing a few years ago and have never looked back. Trout are great and fishing for them is fun. But Crappie and White Perch are really what does it for me. They taste great and you can legally keep enough for a meal.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2018, 08:00 PM »
I'm with you on crappie fishing.  Good time for sure.  Nice eats too. 

saltyshores

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2018, 06:27 AM »
I'm with you on crappie fishing.  Good time for sure.  Nice eats too.

x2

bee

« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Nice catch. MG and i tried yesterday but struck out.
Hookum & Cookum Otherwise Releaseum

Swampking89

« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2018, 04:22 PM »
Trout for the fight,panfish for the plate!!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2018, 04:49 PM »
Some good eating there..
Congratulations...    :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Nice bunch of slabs Artie. I don't visit here much but always enjoy your crappie success.

I'm glad most consider the warm water perch & crappie "junk" fish. lol
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Nice Crappie. I’ve been wanting to hit a few before the freeze!!
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

Stickbait

« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2018, 01:47 PM »
  Thanks for the comments. I grew up wading small streams and brooks for Brook trout. As an adult I started ice fishing with friends and then started ice fishing for warm water species because of the abundance of them and I wanted to get my daughters to be able catch fish. It was great and I grew to love pan fish. Especially White Perch. Then I discovered Crappie fishing a few years ago and have never looked back. Trout are great and fishing for them is fun. But Crappie and White Perch are really what does it for me. They taste great and you can legally keep enough for a meal.
Nice catch!! And I agree totally,although I may spend a bit more time chasing stripers next season!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.