FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: good time to fish for gills?  (Read 9443 times)

tom1234505

• 17 years old
good time to fish for gills?
« on: Apr 19, 2009, 07:02 PM »
is this a good time to fish for gills/ sunnies? if so, where? ive tried earlier this year(last month,(march) about the middle of the month) when there was still some ice patches on the water, and was fishing the shallows but got nothing. i tried deeper for trout and got nothing. the lake i fished at is relatively small (only 40 Acres) and has sunfish in the lake (I know because i got 100 in one day in 4 hours of fishing, but that was in the summer around june or july.). sorry for the long post, but any help at all is greatly appreciated.
<br /><br />

slabspanker

• i love wood and wood products
Re: good time to fish for gills?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:21 AM »
FISH ANY DAY THROUGH THE ICE.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 02:21 PM »
is this a good time to fish for gills/ sunnies? if so, where? ive tried earlier this year(last month,(march) about the middle of the month) when there was still some ice patches on the water, and was fishing the shallows but got nothing. i tried deeper for trout and got nothing. the lake i fished at is relatively small (only 40 Acres) and has sunfish in the lake (I know because i got 100 in one day in 4 hours of fishing, but that was in the summer around june or july.). sorry for the long post, but any help at all is greatly appreciated.
i find that gills look at a bait much longer then most fish,so what i do is just hold STILL, keeping bait [not moving]
as best as i can[like using a bobber] some times this works great,
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

djw198

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Any day you can get out! So much fun.

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Any rock or man made rock pIles for like erosion I find once spawn starts the bigger sunnies and gills will be on thd rock piles and etc..

just rember the waters still cold right now so your better off in a boat chasing thd suspended fish.. In the deepest parts of the lake adjacent to the spawning shallows same for winter or late winter..

buy adjacent to it close by maybe 50 yards to to flats or more and the depth maybe of over 30 foot...  there not going to be on the bottom at 30 foot down but some were like 12 to 16 foot down in the 30 fow... water is warmer at theses depths cause the water is stratified still and at 50 or 100 yrds away the water temp 15 foot down maybe 36 to 38 *f were surface Temps are 33-34*f.. 

but small steady presintations like a 3 mm tungsten ice jig with spikes on it vertically jigged...  Like a slip bobber a small one used for ice fishing is a good presintation this  time of year.. also try shallow areas that warm up first like .5 maybe 2 foot deep the shallower water warms faster and the fish will be there to warm up some times..

but only thing you can do is get the line wet if you don't got your rod in the water how you going to catch any thing??

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Quote from: boondox link=topic=26932.msg764433#msg764433  if you don't got your rod in the water how you going to catch any thing??
[/quote
simple just open the bottle of jameson and catch a buzz ha!
done dirt cheap!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.