FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: November....Most Highlights from a Road Trip, Just a Few Maine Bright Spots  (Read 2527 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Thanks, Randall.

Nick is spot on with his pick of the rod I used....Fenwick Eagle UL 7.5 feet.  The king salmon was a battle in a small pool below a low head dam.  As it turns out, I shattered that rod last week when a split shot rig nailed the tip on a cast.

The evidence is building on the origin of the landlocks, but it will be difficult to be certain without a few more pieces.

what a report! way to go Jim, great success in NY it looks like, those 'bows must've been a blast and I can't even imagine the King :O I know you mentioned 8 lbs test, but what rod weight/action did you get that (king salmon) on? Looks light!

Grats on the Maine landlocks too, those are solid.  And you've greatly piqued my interest with their origin!  8)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Anytime!

I'm sure fin clips are missed sometimes at stocking.  And, yes, I guess natural repro is possible at surprising places here.  I've certainly seen them going through the motions.

Thanks for your reply Jim!

I think it's possible that some are missed? I've watched king salmon fins clipped and I can see how easy it would be to miss some as they are quite small when clipped.

And like you said maybe one year class could be no clipping?

OTOH I don't know about atlantics, but even here in the midwest with poorer stream and river conditions it's been found there has been more natural reproduction than intially thought. In fact so much more that planting numbers were reduced.

fish wayniac

Jim, Great report as always! Those NY spawning fish are huge. I can’t imagine landing a 40” fresh water fish. Awesome!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.