FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: June-July......A Lot of Water; Fishing Variety  (Read 2087 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
June-July......A Lot of Water; Fishing Variety
« on: Aug 02, 2023, 04:24 PM »
No doubt that we've gotten a bunch of rain so far this summer.  It's a welcome change for most part (leaving burning gas on lawn mowing out of it!). 

Native brookies benefited the most from it, with fast and furious action being the norm whether I flyrodded small to medium waters or poked jigs tipped with maggots into the brush and undercuts on tighter waters. 

The tighter waters have not fished this well in recent memory, whether it be coastal or upland.  30 plus fish to hand in a light half day was the norm.  A 9" trout is a grand daddy in these waters, but their heart far exceeds the stockies when they drag you back toward the rootballs. The natives' colors are all over the boards, with the fish in the tightest of cover being as black as the ace of spades.  The trout have been putting on quite a feedbag also, with some sporting impressive guts :o

There were some days when blown out trout water made warm water species the obvious choice.

I even spent a few days fishing with my brother on the NY salt.  The drinking was faster than the fishing, but we jigged up some scup and got into a few blues, and had a helluva time 8)

The end of June marked an automotive "changing of the guard".  My '09 had taken me far and wide, but it was time to move on.  I hope my new one does as well with the fishing adventures! Out of the gate, I have to say that the amount of computer stuff on board is a bit scary :-\

With new wheels, I got back to more extensive spot prospecting.  It was a good time to check out new spots or older ones more extensively.  With the all the water, I focused on searching for lake and river run trout that may have moved up into tribs with the flow bumps.  Not surprisingly, timing was critical since many of these waters rise and fall rapidly.  I was chasing rumors of wild browns in some of these spots.  Maybe my timing was off or maybe the intel I had was dated or fake news.  No wild or substantial browns.  I did get some spring holdover browns that had moved around.  More importantly, I got into some sizable brookies that had made their  way far upstream during high water periods.  I don't see why browns won't do the same, so I'll keep trying ;). The bigger brookies really blow up the upland pools when hooked on a 2-weight :thumbup_smilie: If I didn't hit any big fish, I was able to add to my "life list" of waters where I've caught native brookies.

The heat of July has broken.  Fall is on the way = good times ahead ;D

TightLinesMaine

Re: June-July......A Lot of Water; Fishing Variety
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2023, 09:26 PM »
Excellent report Jim.  Those are some real chubby wild trout in there!  Sounds like you had a good time in NY too.  Good luck on your continued quest for wild Maine browns, keep me posted! I'm definitely very interested

and lol I know exactly what you mean about the "computer stuff", I may have already mentioned but I got a 2023 Outback as a loaner recently and I was overwhelmed by the size of screen and all the touch-buttons...

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2023, 08:00 AM »
Thanks, Randall.

I got the lowest end screen/computer and still am not in the game. The other day, I pressed some button without realizing it and the auto lift gate would only come up half way.  I ended up forgetting that and later whacked my bald head >:(  I figured out the proper reset to fix that issue.....the lift gate, not the hair or head ::)

Excellent report Jim.  Those are some real chubby wild trout in there!  Sounds like you had a good time in NY too.  Good luck on your continued quest for wild Maine browns, keep me posted! I'm definitely very interested

and lol I know exactly what you mean about the "computer stuff", I may have already mentioned but I got a 2023 Outback as a loaner recently and I was overwhelmed by the size of screen and all the touch-buttons...

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2023, 01:52 PM »
Nice natives in those pic’s Jim.

That new Subaru should last you a long time! Cross trek?

Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2023, 08:49 PM »
Thanks, Nick.  It's a Forester Sport.

Nice natives in those pic’s Jim.

That new Subaru should last you a long time! Cross trek?

saltyshores

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2023, 07:25 AM »
We bought a 2023  Subaru Forester too and the dealer told us it had 24 computers in it.

woodchip1

« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2023, 04:48 PM »
Great photos, great to hear from you guys!!

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2023, 06:52 PM »
Good to hear from you also.  Time goes by fast.  You'll be jigging buckets of perch on ice before you know it.

Great photos, great to hear from you guys!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2023, 09:06 PM »
Great report Jim and congrats on the new wheels.

woodchip1

« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2023, 03:55 PM »
Jim C. Busy with garden and firewood . Boys have been bringing lots of filleted perch  down from Camp,

fish wayniac

« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2023, 05:08 PM »
Jim, A good variety of fish. Those Native trout  have beautiful markings on them. 
That’s a nice new ride to take you to your fishing spots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.