FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Knots - Braid to flouro, flouro to lure?  (Read 6537 times)

TheDL

Knots - Braid to flouro, flouro to lure?
« on: Mar 25, 2011, 05:37 PM »
well - Im spooling up now, only ever used mono before, now I bought some new stuff....
I was going to do mono backed, then suffix 832 10lb braid, then 14lb vanish flouro leader

i was thinking of doing a blood knot to join lines, including braid to flouro - unless someone has a better idea?

I was thinking palomar knot to join flouro to lure - any better knots? ???
tight lines....

Sluggo / NY

Re: Knots - Braid to flouro, flouro to lure?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2011, 06:34 PM »
DL.. I use the palomar knot for snap, swivels, lures, etc... but for braid to floro (or mono), I use back to back uni knots. Just do a search for Animated Knots by Grog for directions. Looks tougher than it is! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)
ps.. ever fish Sydenham? I've been going there for years!

TheDL

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2011, 06:48 PM »
hey sluggo
good tips, I've been to that site, great site!  I heard uni-uni wasn't good for flouro, that's why I was thinking blood knot.  Sydenham lake nprth of  kingston?  Yeah, got a buddy that lives out there - good lake!
tight lines....

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Albright knot....used to join two lines of unequal diameter. I use it on my leadcore to flouro
    A Country Boy can Survive!

TheDL

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2011, 07:28 PM »
cool - thanks
tight lines....

kingfisher22

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Double uni-knot.  Easier than the Albright knot to tie, more reliable and runs through the guides better (just my opinion).  Search it on the web for video instructions of it and all other knots.

TheDL

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2011, 09:12 PM »
so, I spooled up - was pretty surprised at how easily the suffix 832 frayed though  ??? seems you gotta really wet those knots!  I think I got it right.  I did a lasso of mono onto the reel, then double uni- mono to braid, 6ft flouro leader double uni to braid.  seems good, I'll test it in the a.m. and report back

thanks all!
tight lines....

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2011, 03:22 PM »
DL.. Yes, I was referring to Sydenham Lake just north of you. Great bass and pike lake.. plus a few big musky in there, unfortunately none of my beloved walleye. Keep us posted on how you like the Suffix 832. I was going to order a bunch of 300 yd. spools for some trolling rigs that are due, but ordered PowerPro because it's treated so me well for a long time. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

TheDL

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2011, 08:32 PM »
yeah, I'm looking forward to hitting up sydneham with a buddy that lives up there this summer.

about that line...I learned a few things this cold morning.  braid is not great in icey conditions, I had so much ice on my line, and guides, and spool - had birds nests and problems casting.  I don't think that was a fair judge of the line, it wasn't twisted on wrong or anything, and seemed fine later in the day after the ice melted off everything.

as for the flouro leader (berkley vanish) - that lasted untill I had a snag on bottom - went for the "walk it out" technique, and the braid and flouro (uni-uni) gave way -didn't want to retie leaders so I opted to stick with the suffix 832 braid.  That stuff it strong!  I hooked bottom a few more times this morning, walked out the snag, and each time my original knot and line held tight (10lb) and straighted quality jug hooks! I am pretty impressed with it's strength! It frayed a little - but considering the ice is was scrapping through all day, I think it held up well to the 50+ perch I caught today!  Yeah, it was a good perch day  ;D ;D

I think the suffix 832 line will be good in warmer weather, and I'll have to give the flouro (vanish) leader another go, when it's not so cold out.  Also, I didn't notice any of the color coming off (green) the suffix, which was a common complaint I've heard about it. 

tight lines....

slipperybob

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2011, 08:25 AM »
I'm not a fan of Vanish, so your results doesn't surprise me.  ;D  I'm a bit surprised at the findings of the easy fraying of Sufix 832 from a knot.  Was that from rubbing it on the bare spool or from a particular knot?
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

TheDL

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2011, 09:13 AM »
i'm not sure what caused the fraying?  maybe all the fish?  more than likely it was the ice in my line guides...but I don't usually wind the line end right up to the tip, and most of the fray was at the snap/swivel - so I don't know what caused it?

still, seems like a good line, definately more sensitive than mono, I'll have to give it a test drive when it's warmer
tight lines....

slipperybob

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2011, 11:43 AM »
It could just be from rocks.  I've never found any particular braid good with rocks or zebra mussles.  I do like the Sufix Performance braid better when it comes to braids on rocks, but haven't tried the 832 braid yet for a comparison.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2011, 02:20 PM »
DL.. As you found out.. braided line is terrible in freezing or below temps! It wicks moisture and get thicker when it freezes.. then when it thaws you have loose line on your spool causing big problems when you cast. I do a lot of late fall/winter river jigging for eyes and learned quickly to carry a couple mono outfits for when the temps drop. As for the uni knot giving out at the floro to braid.. that's where I'd expect it to give out with enough pressure on it. The fraying is puzzling though. I've got 30# PowerPro braid that's been on some trolling rigs for five years (reversed it once) and I've never had any fraying problems. Glad I didn't drop a couple hundred on the Suffix at this point! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

fishermantim4

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2011, 02:30 PM »
i heard that the polamar knot is not a good flouro knot, any one else?  i wont buy vanish ever again, i tried it both as a main line and a leader material and dislike it for both.  i bought a spool of seagar red label over the winter and have not had a problem yet, or spend the money and get some drennan leader.  i like just using two back to back clinch knots for ties lines together, just make sure their extra wet otherwise after tightening they might get stretched out
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2011, 03:22 PM »
I tried Vanish floro fishing line a while back and was very disappointed. The only floro I use now is Seagar leader material. I use it for short leaders and for tying worm harnesses. It's a bit stiff for snelling, but if you pull it tight and put a drop of super glue on it.. it works great. I do use the palomar knot on the swivels and snaps and never had a problem. I just wet it well before I pull it tight. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.